Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 19, 2003, 01:40 AM

Herr 30" span Pitts Special Conversion

Hey guys,
I'm going to attempt to convert a 30" pitts special to electric. I have not started this project as yet. I know it has been done before. I can't seem to find a thread that deals with the conversion of this model from start to finish, so i will start my own.
Anyone who has ever built one of these is welcome to post pics or comments. Please do not put any info in this thread about the smaller rubber powered Herr Pitts.

my camera is a bit low on batteries right now, so I only have one pic of the kit contents as show below (I know I got impatient and started cutting one of the wheelpants free before I took the first pic)

If your pitts or the one you are interested in does not match these specs please post elsewhere. I'm really trying to help minimize the confusion that I noticed already exists about this plane.

Specifications
**engine: .061 - .074
span: 30"
area: 300 sq"
wing load: 12.9oz/sq"
**weight: 27oz

** I mean to change these specs as we go along.
Last edited by guyaneze; Nov 19, 2003 at 01:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2003, 02:53 AM
Big gov never Works
Warren Jones has this conversion. It's in his current thread, 6ch guillows spitfire.

Steve
Nov 19, 2003, 08:53 AM
Hi Steve,
are u sure?
I mean I was all happy to find that someone had done all my work for me...but i went to the warren jones thread and was disappointed...

What I found was a scaled up version of the Micro Pitts by Chris3d, and the link to the page where he starts is here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&pagenumber=10

one difference is....this one is expected to weigh about 6-10 times what warren's micro pitts weighs
Nov 19, 2003, 11:27 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Here's a link to an electric conversion.
http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=198&id=3788

Model Airplane News did a review of the model build for glo a few months back.
Nov 19, 2003, 11:32 AM
Big gov never Works
Warren has two sizes of pitts in that thread. I believe his avatar has the herr pitts.

Steve
Nov 19, 2003, 12:44 PM
hey guys thanx for replying....
Greg:
that link was just what I was looking for...how did I ever miss it before?

I will try a few different power plants including brushed and brushless and perhaps try to determine the so called "hot ticket" either way.

I will also try to bring that 27oz weight down...I am sure it can be done.

Steve:
Yeah I noticed he had a pic of a blue and white pitts that looks like a herr pitts, but its that kind of confusion that I'm trying to avoid, I'm really hoping this can be the definitive herr 30" pitts conversion thread.

A buddy of mine has done it with a miniac 1215/16 and a 6:1 gear box.
I think the lightest batteries he has tried was a 3s2p (11.1 V) 1200mah etecs (the pack is 2400mah)
It flies decently but I'm not too crazy about its performance.
I'm looking for an awesome display of power that will just blow people away.
(and I'm not trying to go broke doing it)
Nov 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
TRP
TRP
Sweet! I have the same kit and had planned to make the same type of thread. I have been distracted lately and have not begun building the Herr yet.

I planned on powering it with the Razor 2500 and the Thunder 3s1p 11.1v. I have all equipment for the build - just haven't found the time or motivation to get on it.

I will be watching your thread with great interest.

TRP
Nov 19, 2003, 01:43 PM

Herr Pitts

I built and converted this model as well.
The most fun I have had in a long time.
If you do a search "Herr Pitts" you will find a specific thread I authored on it in a casual sort of way.
Either way the model comes out a tad on the heavy side without compromising it`s structure. If powered right it`s a bullet and will do anything you ask it. At least mine did anyway.

Cheers

Warren
Nov 19, 2003, 01:52 PM

Another Pic

She flew on;

Mega 22/20/3E
9x7 APC
8 Cell 1300`s or 1700`s

An aileron mod is mandatory on this bird. Like one on each wing in scale fashion.

Cheers

Warren Jones
Nov 19, 2003, 02:00 PM

One more

Here she is after several successful flights.

" Let there be no mistake, there are aeroplanes and then there are Pitt Specials, lets not confuse the two."

You will find out why when you fly one,.......if you live long enough.

Cheers
Nov 19, 2003, 02:13 PM
all i can say is WOW!
the power from that 22/20/3 must be incredible....

warren:
I looked and found a thread by you called "my hot rod pitts"

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=142654

cool pitts....now if only i can build mine as nice as that...

I know that trying to lighten it up might affect the strength, but I'll still try to lighten it up a bit.....I'm also thinking of doing the aileron on top wing mod.
Nov 19, 2003, 03:41 PM

To guyaneze

I did lighten up mine as well, but it didn`t make alot of difference like I thought it would.

Warren
Nov 20, 2003, 02:56 AM

herr pitts plans 1 of 3

these next three pics should give you some idea of the work involved and show you the quality of plans in a herr kit.
Nov 20, 2003, 02:58 AM

herr pitts plans 2 of 3

this is the 2nd of three large plan sheets that come rolled up in the kit. The first was the fuse, this one is just the wings.
the top is flat and swept back, the bottom is straight but has some dihedral.
the plans only show ailerons in the bottom wing.
Last edited by guyaneze; Nov 20, 2003 at 03:06 AM.
Nov 20, 2003, 03:03 AM

herr pitts plans 3 of 3

The third sheet, well...it has details of how to cover and some landing gear details...and also some info on modifying the motor mount for different sized (gas engines and fuel tanks...ICK!)

Quick Reply