Aug 03, 2012, 04:45 PM
Brett
Discussion

Stools/Drafting chairs for work bench

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my garage work area with a fairly tall new counter. So, now I need a tall drafting chair/shop stool to work sitting down, as my regular office chair is nowhere near tall enough.

I'm looking for one with wheels and backrest, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. The office supply store websites have a pretty huge selection, but unfortunately, no one has them in the actual stores to try out. So far I've struck out with a cheapy one from Target (not much padding, and the back rest cannot be adjusted comfortably).

If anyone has a brand they'd like to suggest, please do!

BTW, here's a picture of my old workspace, and another of the new-improved one...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
There's lots of Grainger Supply Stores in SoCal. Check this out http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/off...%2520Barstools

- Norm
Aug 03, 2012, 08:00 PM
Brett
Yeah, I appreciate the help, but finding a place that sells them isn't the issue. The problem is finding a place that actually has them in stock to try them out. I've been to Staples, Office Depot, and was just at Harbor Freight, and while their websites show dozens of varieties they don't have any in-store (well, Staples had one, but I didn't particularly like it).

So, I'm looking for any first hand experience with any particular chair.
Aug 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
"So, I'm looking for any first hand experience with any particular chair. "

But just remember, you are probably not shaped the same way that I am:-))))))))))))))). Your mileage may vary.

Les
Aug 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
slow but inefficient
This is the classic drafting stool, really comfortable and adjustable. No wheels and it's heavy but easy to move by tilting onto one foot and pivoting to a new location. I have two of them, inherited from a friend's move and they're great.

I also have two of these and they're also comfortable and cool. Warm when covered by a throw, blanket or towel in the winter. They might not be high enough for you - The maximum seat height is 22 inches.

Check the reviews on each of them.
Last edited by Ron Williams; Aug 04, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Aug 04, 2012, 03:04 PM
Brett
Ron,

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Aug 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
I was in a similar situation recently.
While out looking for a new couch for the family room, I noticed one of these at the furniture store (on floor sample...cash and carry)

http://www.thehumansolution.com/vari...ing-stool.html

It is without a doubt the most comfortable lab chair I've ever used, bar none.
Aug 04, 2012, 07:07 PM
Brett
Huh...that's pretty interesting, especially since I sometimes like to work standing.
Aug 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
Have you tryed sears I picked up a shop type chair a couple years ago well made.
Aug 04, 2012, 11:12 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
If you're near any state university, find their surplus building. They're open to the public. All kinds of rolling office chairs with a stain or worn fabric for $10. Stools too. Often lots of storage solutions too- metal cabinets, shelves, bookcases that are great for the shop.
Aug 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
"Have you tryed sears I picked up a shop type chair a couple years ago well made."

I also have one of those. It was slightly too tall to be comfortable for me, so I took a couple inches off of each leg, and it has served well.

Les
Aug 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken78cvx20
Have you tryed sears I picked up a shop type chair a couple years ago well made.
I have 2 of this in my shop!
Aug 05, 2012, 02:45 PM
Suspended Account
I have been looking myself, local office stores leave alot to be desired. Choices online can be overwhelming. Hopefully this thread will help the search.

VP
Aug 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee
Huh...that's pretty interesting, especially since I sometimes like to work standing.
Your back will feel much better. I can work for hours with this chair and have no back pain.
A very unusual but effective chair design.

Quick Reply