This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

My Custom Built Nitro Powered Snowmobile

Alright, well here is my Nitro Snowmobile. I designed and built this. I had acess to my Dad's work's HUUUGGGE machine shop. And a warehouse full of materials at my disposal
It took me a whole year to get everything just right. It has an onboard glowstarter that can be enabled by a flick of a switch, headlights that brighten and dim as the engine accellerates, (stil working on taillights and turn signals) hobby grade shocks in the rear suspension and in the front.
I am hoping to get a front aluminum suspension made next summer and have it attached to the main aluminum chassis and tunnel that I made.
It has a HPI Nitro Star .15 that has been working flawlessly. Easy starts, good running. Just give it a little heat with the heat gun in the winter and pull about 3 times.
I usually use my Futaba 8Fg 2.4 for this RC, because it has 8 (14) channels for all of the accessories, and I don't see the point in buying a whole new 4ch pistol grip radio.

I am just using a standard S3003 servo, and it turns the skis with plenty of power.

The dirve train was the hardest part. I believe I need to add to it orstrenghten it/rebuild it. I am having too much spur gear wobble.

I am using a plain old .15 sized airplane muffler. No room for a pipe.
The airplane muffler provides plenty of power and I routed a tube from the muffler out where a normal snowmobile's tube would go, and it looks sweet and works great It also gives it a differen't sound, which is awesome!
I also wen't with the airplane muffler because it is quieter than a conventional tuned pipe. This way I can run it in my backyard without any noise complaints.

Edit: I realized that I really need to find a rider.

R/C Nitro Snowmobile (3 min 58 sec)
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Adding the "edit"
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
Airplane crasher
Alex the sled is cool. I think you might need a little weight to get it to really hook up, plus I think it will help in the corners for the slides.
Aug 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Yes in those videos I did not have my battery packs under te seat.
I am thinking about putting studs in somehow...but I don't want them to just tear the track instead of the ground.

Ehh scratch that idea. Too much stress on everything.
Thanks for your comments!
Aug 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Suspended Account
Sick dude.....just.....sick! I want one! Lol
Aug 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16
Sick dude.....just.....sick! I want one! Lol
Thanks!!
Glad you like it! Hope to get some much better video this winter, we hardly got any snow this winter This year Imma gonna go drift bangin

(jumping big fluffy drifts of snow)
Sep 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Fantastic, great effort. Did you start with a toy Snowmobile and make parts to convert it? whatever that looks like great run to run around.
Sep 29, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Yup!
Thanks!
Oct 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Awesome! Now I want to build one, but with a bigger motor & long track!
Oct 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Its a LOT of work!!!!
Oct 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
SuperCub DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
Alright, well here is my Nitro Snowmobile. I designed and built this. I had acess to my Dad's work's HUUUGGGE machine shop. And a warehouse full of materials at my disposal
It took me a whole year to get everything just right. It has an onboard glowstarter that can be enabled by a flick of a switch, headlights that brighten and dim as the engine accellerates, (stil working on taillights and turn signals) hobby grade shocks in the rear suspension and in the front.
I am hoping to get a front aluminum suspension made next summer and have it attached to the main aluminum chassis and tunnel that I made.
It has a HPI Nitro Star .15 that has been working flawlessly. Easy starts, good running. Just give it a little heat with the heat gun in the winter and pull about 3 times.
I usually use my Futaba 7C 2.4 for this RC, because it has 7 channels for all of the accessories, and I don't see the point in buying a whole new 4ch pistol grip radio.

I am just using a standard S3003 servo, and it turns the skis with plenty of power.

The dirve train was the hardest part. I believe I need to add to it orstrenghten it/rebuild it. I am having too much spur gear wobble.

I am using a plain old .15 sized airplane muffler. No room for a pipe.
The airplane muffler provides plenty of power and I routed a tube from the muffler out where a normal snowmobile's tube would go, and it looks sweet and works great It also gives it a differen't sound, which is awesome!
I also wen't with the airplane muffler because it is quieter than a conventional tuned pipe. This way I can run it in my backyard without any noise complaints.

Edit: I realized that I really need to find a rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6khujHi2Aps
put me on there
Oct 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
That thing is awesome
Oct 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Changed my gearing so its less torquey and faster!
Oct 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Awesome project...yeah, I think you need a rider on that though. A+.
Oct 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
SuperCub DSM
subbed
Dec 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
That is by far one of the coolest RC projects I have seen and would love one of those!! Keep up the rockin work

Quick Reply