Aug 02, 2012, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

700 mm Wing Span - Ailerons -What is the Solution?

I have a small glider HK Pearl. Great plane to fly but rather fragile. Each time I land the wings simply "break" away and even on text book landings. The wings just get clipped away by the grass. This follows by 10 minutes of re fixing the aileron servo cables and taking in the slack. This does not happen on large planes as the fuse is much larger and the wings don't touch the grass

What mod should I use?

I have thought of gluing the wing but fear a bad landing will cause more damage. I also thought of spring loading the wings from inside. BTW it already has two magnets holding it in place.

I am looking for a balance between the "breaking away" feature and the nuisance feature.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2012, 11:15 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
I had a similar problem on my Hawk Sky, which appears to share the Pearl's wing mounting setup. I solved it by putting hole straight down through the top of the fuse and through each wing root, then slipping in plastic pins to lock them in place. It's easy to slide the pins out for wing removal but they stay solid during flight and landing. Use a hot piece of wire to melt the holes so that they're a little bit tough on the insides.

If there's room, you may just be able to use Velcro.

If you don't mind the looks, you could probably put a small hook/anchor point on each wing and stretch a rubber band between them. Maybe do one on top and one on bottom to keep the pulls balanced.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Aug 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
I had a similar problem on my Hawk Sky, which appears to share the Pearl's wing mounting setup. I solved it by putting hole straight down through the top of the fuse and through each wing root, then slipping in plastic pins to lock them in place. It's easy to slide the pins out for wing removal but they stay solid during flight and landing. Use a hot piece of wire to melt the holes so that they're a little bit tough on the insides.

If there's room, you may just be able to use Velcro.

If you don't mind the looks, you could probably put a small hook/anchor point on each wing and stretch a rubber band between them. Maybe do one on top and one on bottom to keep the pulls balanced.
Appreciate if you can post a picture on the first mod (plastic pins). About the rubber band mod wouldn't it affect the aerodynamic properties? (It would be interesting to hear which musical note this rubber band plays when in the air. )
Aug 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
I don't have any pics of the HS on hand and I'm missing my camera's USB cord. I'll see about posting some up once the ducks are back in their row.

The rubber bands should have a negligible effect on aerodynamics. If you set it up so that they're strung tight against the fuselage between the wings, it'll be no worse that having an antenna trailing behind the plane like we did with 72MHz gear. Never seemed to cause issues.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod

Quick Reply