Aug 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Hi all,

New version of the USBHostShield2 library uploaded, see download link in Post #1.

I _think_ I may have fixed the startup problems with the USB driver/library. So far so good anyways.

Ian.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2012, 02:22 AM
Ian does the timer count all the time or only when throttle is applied? For a quad it doesn't matter but for a plane, especially gliders it could help in estimating when to land. Might be cool if it would be configurable via a #define or a lcd menu.

Also for me personally it would be interesting to use the viewing hat for pan and tilt of a cam on a plane..
Aug 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev
Ian does the timer count all the time or only when throttle is applied? For a quad it doesn't matter but for a plane, especially gliders it could help in estimating when to land. Might be cool if it would be configurable via a #define or a lcd menu.

Also for me personally it would be interesting to use the viewing hat for pan and tilt of a cam on a plane..
Hi,

New version uploaded, see download link in Post #1.
I have added an inhibit for the timer so that it'll pause counting when the throttle is below 1%. You can turn this inhibit on/off on the timer screen on the Lcd (see piccy on post #1).

The pan & tilt functions, although I haven't implemented it yet I've made space so that it can added fairly easily.

Ian.
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Aug 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
Awesome..will these changes also be synced with non-usb version?
Aug 12, 2012, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
Hi,

Pan & Tilt using the Top Hat has now been added to control the 2off Aux Pot outputs. Choose Top Hat control between TRIM or PAN&TILT using the LCD. Also note that by setting the trigger or thumb switch modes to 50% means you can centre your camera immediately.
Note: Using the LCD you can also re-arrange the PPM output channels so these two outputs can be assigned to any channel.

I have also optimized the LCD a bit, down from 18 different screens to 13 which means less scrolling back and forth.

I have added a setting in the source "int InvertPPM = 0;" which can be used to invert the PPM output which is necessary for some transmitters. "0" = non-invert, "1" = invert.

Unfortunately, I will not be coding these mods back onto the non-usb version.........it's just far too much work.

Ian.
Last edited by IanJ; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Nice work again Ian!

I visited your first thread weeks ago and plan on creating it but will just connect the joystick through USB, and just when I was to recheck the thread to begin planning my build, you posted the USB version! Just simply awesome! Thanks!
Aug 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ
Hi,

I have added an inhibit for the timer so that it'll pause counting when the throttle is below 1%. You can turn this inhibit on/off on the timer screen on the Lcd (see piccy on post #1).

The pan & tilt functions, although I haven't implemented it yet I've made space so that it can added fairly easily.

Ian.
Very cool, thanks!
Aug 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,

Lots of small bug fixes and code optimization.

Ian.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hello Ian and thank you for the hard work on the code.

I have a question if you don't mind.

Which board are you using with the 2560 on it? Next is where did you get the Arduino board?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Aug 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnAz
Hello Ian and thank you for the hard work on the code.

I have a question if you don't mind.

Which board are you using with the 2560 on it? Next is where did you get the Arduino board?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Just google "Arduino Mega 2560" and you'll get LOTS of results. There are plenty on Ebay also, and you don't necessarily need an official Arduino board, a clone/compatible will do just fine also......and a lot cheaper.

Ian.
Aug 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, I will not be coding these mods back onto the non-usb version.........it's just far too much work.
Hi Ian, I'm still working on the project I told you about in the other thread.

So is the non-USB version dead, as far as you're concerned? I am interested in a system that will work with a USB joystick eventually, but for now, I'm looking for something that's all hard-wired with small joysticks and a bunch of buttons and knobs put into a Pelican case.

So if you're done with the non-USB version, do you mind if I just take what you've got, host it elsewhere and proceed to modify it as I need? Full attribution for your excellent work of course. I'll have to do a lot of work, but it's a good base to get me started. It might be easier for both of us if I simply fork-off and go my own way.

As for the USB version, how did you figure out how to "talk" to the USB joystick? I know you're using a USB host shield, but I'm curious about the nuts and bolts of it. In the future, I'd like to try that, but with a different joystick.
Aug 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
Hi Ian, I'm still working on the project I told you about in the other thread.

So is the non-USB version dead, as far as you're concerned? I am interested in a system that will work with a USB joystick eventually, but for now, I'm looking for something that's all hard-wired with small joysticks and a bunch of buttons and knobs put into a Pelican case.

So if you're done with the non-USB version, do you mind if I just take what you've got, host it elsewhere and proceed to modify it as I need? Full attribution for your excellent work of course. I'll have to do a lot of work, but it's a good base to get me started. It might be easier for both of us if I simply fork-off and go my own way.

As for the USB version, how did you figure out how to "talk" to the USB joystick? I know you're using a USB host shield, but I'm curious about the nuts and bolts of it. In the future, I'd like to try that, but with a different joystick.
I probably won't do much else with the non-usb version (can't rule it out though), so you are free to do what you want with the code......I'd just ask that my name remains somewhere in the source code as originator.

The USB Host Shield came with libraries and sample code, including demo .pde files for this particular joystick.......and I just happened to have 2off them.

Ian.
Aug 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Ok, because the Joystick I wanted to use is this one if I went the USB route:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...4337&CatId=141

So I'd probably be SOL? Or is there a way to figure out the drivers?

Yeah, absolutely you'll remain as the originator. This actually make it much easier for me to do what I need because I won't need a ton of #defines. I'll let you know where I get it set up so you can keep tabs if you want.
Aug 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
Ok, because the Joystick I wanted to use is this one if I went the USB route:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...4337&CatId=141

So I'd probably be SOL? Or is there a way to figure out the drivers?

Yeah, absolutely you'll remain as the originator. This actually make it much easier for me to do what I need because I won't need a ton of #defines. I'll let you know where I get it set up so you can keep tabs if you want.
The manufacturer of my usb host shield is over at www.circuitsathome.com and they have some good, length articles on how to interface HID devices and how to get the data out. Might also be worth asking their support if if the joystick you propose is easily interfaced.

Ian.
Aug 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,

Lots of small bug fixes, plus I re-arranged the TRIM screens on the LCD.

Ian

Quick Reply