Aug 02, 2012, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Getting ready for my first quad build - any tips?

I have and love the Blade MQX, but like most everyone here the time has come to build something bigger.

I have spent a lot of time reading and absorbing as much info as I possibly can in hopes to be fully prepared when all my parts arrive.

Frame: HK Q450 with power dist board
Controller: HK KK2.0
ESC: HK Blueseries 30A
Motors: Turnigy D2830-11 1000kv
RCVR: OrangeRx R610 to bind with my DX6i
Props: Both 9" and 10" Gemfan Black Carbon
Battery: Turnigy 3000mAh 3S 30C

I also picked up a prop balancer, USBasp programmer, and balance charger.

I am impatiently waiting for the remainder of my parts to arrive from Hobby King, but doing everything I can to prepare ahead of time.

My batteries and ESC's shipped from the USA warehouse and I have already taken the time to replace the battery connectors with EC5's and added bullet connectors to the ESC outputs.

The ESC's now have data connectors for easy firmware flashing and I have all of the tools needed for flashing on my laptop.

Lastly, I spent the time to balance each and every one of my props and cannot think of a single other thing I can do now until the rest of my order (frame, flight controller, motors, programmer) arrives besides refreshing the tracking website over and over again like a fool.

Do you guys have any other tips for my first build? Did I miss anything?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2012, 03:05 AM
MAKE sure you do the ESC calibration with the props off
Aug 04, 2012, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20
MAKE sure you do the ESC calibration with the props off
Thanks. I have been reading through the thread on safety and seeing how many people needed stitches because of their quads, I have built up a healthy level of respect for danger of powerful quads.
Aug 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
I received all of my parts last week and finished my build on Friday. After dealing with some vibration issues, I replaced the bullet shaped caps on my prop adapters with regular M5 nuts and was able to smooth things out significantly while I waited for higher quality adapters.

Now that things are balanced, I am extremely happy with the stability and performance of this quad. I have been getting quite a bit of attention flying at work during my lunch breaks.

Here is a quick video of some of my first diagonal flips.
Q450 KK2 Quadcopter Flip (0 min 56 sec)

I did have a #16 keychain cam attached, but the videos have some serious jello effect. Hopefully the new prop adapters will help eliminate some more vibration, but I think a better mounting solution for the camera is necessary.
Q450 Quad KK2 with 808 #16 Keychain Cam (1 min 3 sec)

They keychain cam is just temporary until I can get a good camera and possibly a frame more suitable for video and/or FPV work.
Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Very cool! I have a mqx as well and will be building a quad similar to yours. Where di you purchase these items from?

"I also picked up a prop balancer, USBasp programmer, and balance charger."
Aug 29, 2012, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyman
Very cool! I have a mqx as well and will be building a quad similar to yours. Where di you purchase these items from?

"I also picked up a prop balancer, USBasp programmer, and balance charger."
Everything was from Hobby King, except for the prop balancer which I found on Amazon.
Charger
Power Supply for Charger
Programmer
Prop Balancer

I also recently added white and red LED strips, also from Hobby King, and converted from Spektrum to a Turnigy 9x with FrSky module. With a receiver controlled switch, I can toggle my lights on and off from the Tx.
Aug 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Tip one. Get a good lock and lock your self in the shed or basement from wife and kids.
Tons of coffee and redbull. Total concentration mode. Good luck
Aug 30, 2012, 10:04 AM
Can you post some close ups of your code showing the wiring and connections?

Quick Reply