Graupner MX20 vs Spektrum: how to loose a Multicopter ?
How to loose a multicopter at 5 km from take off.
My Epic Scarab Reconn who flew over Iguaçu falls (on Spektrum gear) has finally ended by my fault after I setup a new Graupner MX20. I used to fly it on my Spektrum DX8, safely within 700 meters as I was warned by telemetry alarm and could always turn back. I also fly my other Scarabs on Thomas Sherrer LRS.
I thought Thomas Scherrer is a little bit of overkill considering a multicopter autonomy so in an attemp to have only one system, I decided to test the Graupner MX20 who is supposed to have 4 km range!
This was my first time out with my new MX20 and as I decided to fly within 500m to check my first setup, I did not even setup my naza failsafe on RTH. By the way, I new the telemetry would bip before the RC could be out of range.
After about 300 meters I got a telemetry alarm but two seconds later it went on failsafe: hold last command. I could only start recording on my Carbonbird blackbox and watch the images till the end, 5 km away from take off.
Based on the images, I could go on the crash location, I could ear my Emcotec Locating beeper doing S.O.S. beep but based on the residential area, I could not access all gardens to search for the aircraft and decalred it lost after 2 hours of search.
- 900 mhZ / 500 mW from hobby wireless is a very good video gear, it kept the images till the end, 5 km away at an altitude below 100 meters, this with no diversity on the reception, simple stock omni antenna on my hat groundtation. I can sell my patch antenna
- Always setup properly your RTH if you have the option to do so
- Always do range test on ground when you first try a new RC transmitter
- Don't trust manufacturers... Finally my DX7 and DX8 appear to have more range than the latest Graupner HOTT technology!
- I will keep my Thomas Scherre LRS
- I may search for a more efficient locating system.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||DJI Naza / Graupner MX20 / Failsafe Setup||fliegen||Multirotor Drone Talk||1||Jan 23, 2014 11:10 PM|
|Discussion||JR XG8 vs Graupner MX20?||Dean.roberts||Hand Launch||5||Aug 02, 2012 03:01 AM|
|Discussion||Graupner mx20 pitchcurve problem||thijmen5||Radios||4||May 10, 2012 12:26 PM|
|Cool||How loo..oow can you go!!||Quiet E. Flyer||Arizona Model Aviators||39||Oct 02, 2011 12:40 AM|
|Discussion||"Disgrace" must have been a loo-loo...||arbilab||Site Chat||28||Oct 10, 2010 12:07 AM|