Wing span:41"
Length:38.5"
Wing area:268 sq. in.
Wing loading:14.4 - 15.5 oz/sq. ft.
Flying weight:26.8 - 28.8 oz.
Propeller:9" x 4.5"
Electric motor:1000kV 37mm brushless outrunner
ESC:30A
Flight Battery:11.1V 3S 20C 1800mAh LiPo (included in Tx-R version)
Radio system:Futaba 10CAP
Manufacturer:Tactic RC
Available from:Tower Hobbies

Flyzone's latest budget-friendly foamy, the Millennium Master, is modeled after a high-performance Italian homebuilt aircraft of the same name. Only two prototypes of the Millennium Master were produced, and then subsequently acquired by Blackshape, under the new name, the Blackshape Prime. The Millennium Master is a somewhat atypical design, with it's horizontal stabilizer exhibiting noticable anhedral, as well as the main wing's trapezoidal shape with swept-back tips. A pronounced ventral fin under the rudder adds to the Master's unique look and solid flying characteristics, which transfer over to the model as well.

Kit Contents

The Flyzone Millennium Master arrived, securely packaged, with no visible dents or quality-control issues to speak of. All parts are bagged in clear plastic and taped together, so make sure to cut the tape carefully and remove each piece before pulling them from the box.

The Master is made of Aerocell foam, which is a strong and durable type of EPO (Expanded Polyolefin) foam. However, it's still "foam" and is certainly not crashproof. The most delicate part of the plane is the empennage; the tail surfaces are thin and care should be taken to avoid hangar rash. The fuselage comes complete with the servos, motor, esc, and receiver installed. The pushrods were set close to the servo neutral positions, with the exception of the nose wheel that needed a little adjustment to point straight at neutral rudder. One of the only things to do inside the fuselage was to run the hook and loop straps through the plastic battery anchor-point.

As stated above, the Millennium Master comes with a 37mm 1000kV motor, 30-amp electronic speed control, and 4 park-flyer sized servos installed from the factory. The servos, while nameless, seem adequate for this size aircraft. The ESC and motor are also not named, but some info is provided on the side of the esc. It's a 30-amp controller with an operating input voltage from 5.5v up to 17v, so it could handle a 4s LiPo. According to the label, it contains a 3-amp 5.2v switching-type internal regulator... more than enough to power the 4 servos and receiver.

The Master has no internal wood structure except for the motor mount and two wood pushrod guides. The nose gear attaches to the motor mount with two plastic guides. It's a very sturdy design and I see no issues with it's performance under normal flying conditions, or the occational hard landing.

The wing is a 1-piece design that doesn't require joining, or any additional work for that matter. You're only task it to insert the wire main gear into their plastic mounts. Each aileron gets it's own servo and the horns are set at the correct position from the factory; no adjustment was needed at the horn or clevise. The wing attaches at the leading edge with a pair of molded plastic dowels, and at the trailing edge with a nylon screw. The Millennium Master is small enough that, once you bolt down the wing, you may not need to remove it again for transportation and storage.

Depending on what version of the Millennium master you choose, your plane will come in a Tx-R version with everything you need, minus a transmitter, or an Rx-R version requiring a receiver, transmitter, battery and charger. If you purchase the Tx-R (transmitter-ready) version and don't have a Tactic transmitter, you will need to purchase a Tactic AnyLink SLT 2.4GHz Universal Radio Adapter . This adapter allows the use of almost any 2.4GHz major-brand transmitter.

In this review, I chose the TX-R version which included a FlyZone 1800mAh 3S LiPo, an Electrifly wall charger, and a Tactic 2.4GHz TR624 6-channel receiver.

Assembly

The time it takes to assemble the Millennium Master should be counted in minutes, as the majority of the work has been done for you. Please note that this assembly section is no substitute for reading the instructions, and only serves an an abbreviation of the majority of steps required to get her airborne. When in doubt, consult the instruction manual or Flyzone customer support.

Let's address the main wing first. Start by inserting the landing gear into their plastic slots with the gear-door facing out. Route the aileron servo-wires through the bottom of the fuselage and bolt the wing down with the supplied nylon bolt; make sure the wing doesn't pinch the servo wires as you screw it down.

Moving on to the tail, slide the horizontal stabilizer/elevator through the slot in the fuselage and make sure it's even on both sides and facing the correct way; the stabilizer angles down to form an inverted-v (anhedral) . You can use a ruler to measure the equal-distance from the stabilizer tip to the wing tip on both sides. Once its in place, use some CA to secure it to the fuselage. Next, add some CA to the vertical stabilizer/rudder slot and secure it to the fuselage as well. Make sure to test fit it before gluing it down. We can finish up on the tail by attaching the pushrod keepers to the horns on the tail surfaces.

Your final steps in assembly are to install the propeller and spinner, check control throws and set them to the recommendations in the manual, and balance the plane at the CG point of 2" (51mm) back from the leading edge. Reposition the battery to attain the proper center-of-gravity, then mark the final position inside the fuselage.

Flying

Based on the great experience I had with the Tower Hobbies P-51 EP, which is a very similar plane in construction and electronics, I assumed the Millennium Master would be similar in flight characteristics and performance... and I was right. From takeoff to landing on it's maiden flight, the Millennium Master tracked straight and exhibited no ill tendencies while on the wing; Flyzone knows how to build a great performing airplane.

In the air, the Master is predictable throughout its wide flight envelope. At full throttle it's fast and nimble, yet very controllable; yank and bank flying suits it well. I never experienced an accelerated stall or speed stall regardless of how hard I pulled and pushed the elevator at full throttle. Slow speed manuvering was very nice and resulted in predictable approaches and gentle landings with just a bit of throttle to control it's decent rate.

The motor and propeller combo provided ample thrust for short takeoffs, but is just shy of providing unlimited-vertical performance. The 1000kV 37mm brushless outrunner is not a power-hungry motor, and as a result, rewards you with flight times in the 10-minute range under normal flying conditions.

Is This For a Beginner?

The main wing of the Millennium Master has very little dihedral, and makes for a poor platform to learn the basics of flight; it's just to fast and has no selt-righting tendencies. I would recommend against having the Master as your very first airplane. On the other hand, I would highly recommend it as your first low-wing after conquering the basics of flight with a trainer.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Conclusion

Flyzone continues to hit the mark in the sport/park flyer arena with its unique Millennium Master. It's an all-around good performing airplane that's predictable in slow flight and tracks straight during those wide open passes; the Master handles remarkably well. On my wish list is an included pilot figure and some optional budget retracts (either mechanical or electric).

For those of you looking to stray from the traditional foam warbird, but don't want a fantasy design, I would highly recommend this sport-scale rendition of the Millennium Master.

Pluses

• Solid flight characteristics.
  • Quick assembly time.
  • Makes a great first low-wing aircraft, escpecially with it's entry-level pricing.

Minuses

• No pilot figure/bust included.
  • Fixed landing gear with no retractable option

Credits

A big thanks goes out to Andrew (Andrews421) for his assistance in video, photography, and piloting.

Last edited by Angela H; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hmmmmm..............great review. It's amazing how nice Flyzone planes can be. I only wish my LHS stocked parts for them like they do the Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes. By the way you described the build, it goes together almost EXACTLY like my new Tower Hobbies F4U Corsair.
Aug 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Yep. The design and assembly methods for the Tower Hobbies planes and Flyzone planes are very similar. They also use a lot of the same electronics and hardware components. I have the Tower P-51; the Millennium Master flies similarly.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Aug 31, 2012, 04:50 PM
That's a funny word
Nice review Matt. I agree with everything you wrote.
Aug 31, 2012, 06:31 PM
Thats a pretty cool looking plane!! Looks like it flies nice and smooth as well.
Sep 01, 2012, 09:02 AM
That's an awesome plane! Too bad we don't have them over here in Europe (And shipping one to my house is unfortunately ridiculously expensive...
Sep 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
looks like a Lanceair Evolution i like it
Sep 09, 2012, 09:37 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
I absolutely love my Millenium, heres one of my onboard vids from mine

millenuim Master onboard 007 (8 min 24 sec)
Sep 10, 2012, 05:50 AM
Maggie is in charge
Does anyone know if a 3c 2200 battery will fit and balance okay in this plane?

Thank you.
Sep 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
That's a funny word
It will fit easily. I just fit a 3sx3000 Zippy in there and you may have to move the esc or rx , but it does fit. Since My 3sx1800 pack is right on the CG mark any weight pack will also balance.

Some have their pack moved further forward than me , but it should still be fine as there plenty of length and width in there. I would not like to add any weight to this plane at all.
Sep 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Maggie is in charge
Thanks for the answer
Sep 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
Happily retired
Martin T

They're on the Ripmax website............... best dust off the credit card !

Mark
Sep 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Beautiful model and it flies as pretty as it looks.

It looks like the designer/manufacturer, Millenium, designed a sport pattern RC model, then scaled it up to full size.
Sep 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
352nd FG Association
Looks good to me! Adding 1 to my list!
Nov 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
Just have to tell everyone the best fix for this bird. The original motor made 1 flight before it squealed and burnt! Upon calling flyzone they said they would send me anew one but i was on a long waiting list??? Guess they knew. I had an old rimfire 10 in the junk box and it was a dirrect bolt on, no mods! even balances almost the same. Now the fun. Model all up weights1#15onz. Pulls 316 watts on a 2.2 3c battery. That's 158 plus/ #. on original prop. It will climb forever! This made a good plane into a fantastic one. Don't pull the wings off it !

Quick Reply