Thread Tools
Sep 24, 2012, 06:55 AM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Do you still use right thrust in the motor??
Nope, but I rarely use anything other than 0-degrees for a thrust angle in my scratchbuilds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Just thinking, if the pod with the motor were on the left, would it delete the need for right thrust??
Nailed it! That was the premise of the prototype...and why #2 was intended for a reverse rotation prop (but I didn't use one).

The fun part is that when inverted the offset thrustline exaggerates torque, p-factor, etc, rather than cancelling them. This can be used to interesting effect. For instance the prototype does really great inverted flat spins, yet it has no rudder. See below:
Parallax Asymmetric Canard - Spins and Stuff (3 min 13 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2012, 07:05 AM
Registered User
flypaper 2's Avatar
Looks great for some of the "out of the box" aerobatics. Pilot was great too.

Gord.
Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
I put the finishing touches on, so this is probably as good as this one will ever look. I kinda like it. To help with CG, I moved the firewall back about 2 inches. We'll see how long the tip cannons stay on. They're magnets for hangar rash and tall grass. More flight testing to come.
One of my bud's Parallax with full-flying canard is ready for maiden too. I'm excited to see how it works.

Terry
Sep 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
Trapped in California
foamflyer's Avatar
That's really cool mopar_man! I like it!
Sep 27, 2012, 02:09 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Depronicus's Avatar
Watching the canard fly gets me all confused!

Again, wonderful stuff. Great work, MPM.
Sep 27, 2012, 09:04 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Commander Clumsy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man
Nope, but I rarely use anything other than 0-degrees for a thrust angle in my scratchbuilds.
Wait... do you mean in conventional models as well? Doesn't that affect flight characteristics badly?? I mean, it does in mine...



Funny thing is, after having watched the vids several times I don't think the planes look akward anymore. Apparently it's just a matter of getting used to, like you said.
Well.. at least up to the inverted spinning part

I love how the warbird turned out with the tip cannons btw, this is exactly what would happen if Blohm & Voss, Bell and Sky Captain met to design a fighter plane
Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
ibillwilson's Avatar
I really like this plan-form... it should make for a good AP/FPV setup. The "payload" pod would have an unrestricted forward view.

Wasn't the BV-141 designed as a reconnaissance plane?

I'm thinking of building a conventional wing, a motor/power fuselage, and a payload pod... then attaching the fuselage and pod to the wing using rubber bands. That way, I should be able to move the fuselage and pod along the wing as necessary to find the right balance during flight testing.

One question though... motor/power fuselage on the left, or the right? Yours is on the right, but the BV-141 had it on the left. Which would be better?
Sep 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson
I really like this plan-form... it should make for a good AP/FPV setup. The "payload" pod would have an unrestricted forward view.
Agreed. You'll just need to keep a close eye on the lateral balance with any sort of weight in the pod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson
Wasn't the BV-141 designed as a reconnaissance plane?
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson
One question though... motor/power fuselage on the left, or the right? Yours is on the right, but the BV-141 had it on the left. Which would be better?
Actually, I've built one of each. With motor on the left, use a standard prop. On the right, use a reverse-rotation prop. But if the prop is close enough to the centerline, it isn't that important.
Sep 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy
Wait... do you mean in conventional models as well? Doesn't that affect flight characteristics badly?? I mean, it does in mine...
The effect is dependent on many factors. But for my sport planes, I haven't yet found a compelling reason to add right thrust. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Down thrust is a different matter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy
I love how the warbird turned out with the tip cannons btw, this is exactly what would happen if Blohm & Voss, Bell and Sky Captain met to design a fighter plane
I think you're right! I always did like the Airacuda.
Sep 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
redwhskers
redwhskers's Avatar

Bv-141


Guys

I am working on a BV-141 here are the plans I have drawn so far. I will post some pic as I build her. Fell free to use the plans.

Keep Building & Flying
Sep 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhskers
Guys
I am working on a BV-141 here are the plans I have drawn so far.
That should make a cool park-flyer. I can't tell, are the fuselage and cockpit pod profile only? Obviously that will affect where you need to balance laterally.

T
Sep 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Commander Clumsy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man
The effect is dependent on many factors. But for my sport planes, I haven't yet found a compelling reason to add right thrust. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Down thrust is a different matter.
I kind of interpreted your and flypaper2's posts like you don't use right thrust and down thrust at all...
You are correct, side thrust isn't very important compared to downthrust.
I got this tiny Silverlit Airlifter (appx 50cm span, 100grams) which I modded with two 5gram brushless motors turning 4025 props in the same direction. No side thrust and a lot of down thrust worked out just fine.
Sep 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy
I kind of interpreted your and flypaper2's posts like you don't use right thrust and down thrust at all...
Correct...the motor being offset from the lateral balance point has the same effect as right thrust. In this case that right thrust effect isnt needed. It's just a tolerable consequence of the airplane being asymmetric.
Sep 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
ltc's Avatar
Will there be plans or a short kit offered for these?
Sep 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc
Will there be plans or a short kit offered for these?
Yes, working on CAD plans now. If all goes well, you'll see something in Model Aviation in the coming months.

There aren't many parts involved, so I don't think a short kit would help much. It's an easy build.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parallax Board/Defcon badges The Recursion Multirotor Drone Electronics 4 Aug 02, 2012 07:58 PM
Discussion Parallax Propeller and Hoverfly SPORT ogt Aerial Photography 0 Jul 22, 2012 02:04 PM
Discussion Super-beginner question: braking asymmetry DMala Off-road Cars 7 Jul 11, 2011 10:40 PM
Discussion Explorer 4.0 X tail Vs Explorer 4.0 V tail spread tow Hoot Multi Task F3X 0 May 06, 2011 08:07 PM
Discussion Knife edge mixing asymmetry question DeuceTrinal 3D Flying 8 Dec 04, 2010 10:00 PM