Pre-maiden jitters, Fokker D-VII - RC Groups
Jul 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
Discussion

Pre-maiden jitters, Fokker D-VII

If the wind is low tomorrow AM I should get a chance to maiden my Fokker D-VII, needed lotsa little fixes, including repairing my DX5 (bypassing the crappy power switch with a good switch).

Not my first maiden or first re-maiden by any means, but that first flight of a plane always has a bit of build-up, doesn't it?

If I didn't screw anything up, only the landing should be the hard part, heh.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1666647

to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 03:18 PM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
oh man thats a beauty i would be so scared to fly that. Good luck
Jul 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Gorgeous Dave! I'll think you'll fly it (and land it) like an ace. Gor for it and report back
Jul 31, 2012, 03:45 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
I like it. Looks like it'll be a fun one to fly.

Anyone else notice it says "lol" on the side? I know it's LO!, still pretty close.
Jul 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
Hey Dave, That is one sweet airplane. I hear you about those jitters, I seem to get them at every flight lately. I loved a SE5a I used to have but noticed that without rudder in the turns that the tail wanted to drop and lag behind. My fix for that was a rudder aileron mix in my radio...R. aileron, R. rudder, along with a smudge of U. elevator. I sure would like to get ahold of that model. You beat me because I hardly ever maiden my own plane, I get one of the club vets to get her up and trimmed, then hand me my radio to finish up.. Happy flying buddy, Dave/Zee
Jul 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Fortunately it's just a circa-2000 global hobby arf, and is a little more beat-up than it looks in the pics, so not *too* much pressure... I did sweat the repairs a bit more than for my old trainer because it is a nice one.

Best part is, I can say "Look at that Fokker!"
Jul 31, 2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny_dave
best part is, i can say "look at that fokker!"
lol
Jul 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
Looking at a more scale model pic, looks like the bottom wing on this is a bit oversized (which should help it float), and the ailerons on the real one I think were on the top wing, and incorporated the 'tabs' that stick out to the side (much as the rudder has a part ahead of the hinge, the ailerons did too). The smaller ailerons hopefully give enough authority, I may have to adjust the throw if it rolls too slow.

If it survives the first flight, that is, wish I had my big empty parking lot but a company moved in, my alternate spot is a business park with no businesses. A few roadside obstacles, but new pavement and no carsand enough roads I should be able to find a spot aligned with the wind.
Jul 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
Senile Member
I have one just like it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Larry
Jul 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
^lmao
Jul 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
That ain't right Larry... I know the feelin........ZEE
Aug 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
Only flaw during the maiden flights was the tail gear I rigged isn't quite right. Built one from scratch so I could attach it to the existing tail-dragger post, and it is waaaay too prone to ground-looping. Anything over a fast taxi and it's swapping-ends.

During my 3 takeoffs I was able to get around this by applying down-elevator and nailing the throttle, flying the tail almost instantly. It veered left pretty hard on takeoff all 3 times, I'll need more practice at my wider space before I tackle my narrower one.

I incurred some minor damage on my 3rd landing, had a bit of a hard landing from coming in a touch too slow and then goosing the throttle to slow the descent, it veered a bit, landed hard, and cartwheeled a bit. Pretty tough bird, the wing ends hit pretty hard and it bounced off the spinner, but I think the only real damage is the tail-dragger post and my homemade tail-wheeled popped neatly off. Now I can put on the purchased one much more easily, I don't have to figure out how to remove the dragger post!

I did bump the rudder putting it in the car, and 2 out of the 3 plastic hinges popped out of the Vstab- better that happens on the ground than in the air!

One of the wire wing struts popped out of it's clamp, I may have to re-engineer the clamps if that is a recurrent problem.

It flew well, climbed and flew better than scale on my 4S battery with a 13x8, the roll rate is indeed a bit slow, tried a roll with the rudder and I have no idea what happened, it rolled halfway smoothly then it snapped at least another full roll, and somehow reversed direction in a heartbeat. Wasn't a fluke, tried it again and same thing.

Tried a hammerhead and there was a fat load of coupling, not sure if it was roll or pitch.

It looped fine, of course, again with a bunch of coupling (roll), but not sure if it's the elevator deflection being a bit cocked or if it's just the prop wash on the tail.

The first two landings were a bit bouncy but not really rough, I just tried to come in a little too slow the last time and it didn't react well to my feeding in more power.

I think it needs a bit more right-thrust on the motor, and a bit more down-thrust, but since it's short and powerful it's obviously always going to flail about a bit due to the prop-wash hitting the tail.

It is obvious I need to get a set of beater wheels for this for pavement flying, the pavement will chew up the soft rubber tires fairly quickly otherwise.
Aug 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the maiden Very nice plane. I had the same feelings with my first biplane and it sat for months before I took it up and it turned out to be such a pleasure to fly. I recently changed my wheels out for Williams Brothers and can tell you it has made a HUGE difference in ground handling. The soft stock wheels would bite in the pavement and a make for a difficult landing and almost always a nose over.

Harry

Those are some cool looking wheels though..
Aug 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
That's why I want to protect 'em, keep 'em for grass and special occasions.
Aug 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
When you really want to be a RC pilot get yourself a bi-plane, thats when you learn what "flying" a plane is all about, no more shortcuts........Been there, done that... and still shaking .....good job, .Dave, Zee/Dave9