Sep 05, 2018, 09:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2XR10

Makes me wonder if in a future incarnation I could reprogram the two elevators as elevons and fly this more like a wing. Wonder what mods would have to be done to the wings and keel to get it to turn with bank-and-yank? Wonder if it could become a wing trainer?
RCG member Nightstone did so successfully , the elevons need to be full span to be effective : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=216

If possible , post a video of your SE flying .
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2018, 02:17 PM
I made an increased wing SE with two minor changes. I keep the keel at 10 inches from the back forward to the front of the prop slot, then angled up to 4 inch at the nose. That gave me a little more strength in order to use a 10 inch prop. I added craft sticks to the wings and keel at the back and ran light wire to the two wing tips and then from wing tips to keel. This keeps the wings and keel ridged without adding bracing. I left one inch of the craft stick protruding beyond the wing and keel to protect control surfaces.
I want to thank balsa or carbon for a great design.
Last edited by nvmike; Sep 06, 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: corrected keel height from 8 to 10"
Sep 06, 2018, 03:27 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmike
I made an increased wing SE with two minor changes. I keep the keel at 8 inches from the back forward to the front of the prop slot, then angled up to 4 inch at the nose. That gave me a little more strength in order to use a 10 inch prop. I added craft sticks to the wings and keel at the back and ran light wire to the two wing tips and then from wing tips to keel. This keeps the wings and keel ridged without adding bracing. I left one inch of the craft stick protruding beyond the wing and keel to protect control surfaces.
I want to thank balsa or carbon for a great design.
Sounds good nvmike ! If possible , show us some photos and a flying video .
Sep 06, 2018, 07:58 PM

dihedral question

deleted by poster
Last edited by nvmike; Sep 06, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Sep 06, 2018, 10:13 PM
I'm confused on the comments for this image https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=5048847

I've quoted it below, but it's saying you'll need 3 of these pieces, but it doesn't seem that they get used. Looking at pictures of completed planes, I've not seen any that include a triple layered fuselage. I'm uncertain how if it was tripled how the rudder would work.

Cut both of those pieces in half diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner . Three of those pieces will be glued together later to become your fuselage .
Sep 07, 2018, 09:25 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspangler
I'm confused on the comments for this image https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=5048847

I've quoted it below, but it's saying you'll need 3 of these pieces, but it doesn't seem that they get used. Looking at pictures of completed planes, I've not seen any that include a triple layered fuselage. I'm uncertain how if it was tripled how the rudder would work.

Cut both of those pieces in half diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner . Three of those pieces will be glued together later to become your fuselage .
Thank you for pointing that out to me . I've modified the post so it won't be so confusing .

The Super Easy is not a graceful-landing plane , the fuselage just flops down on the ground . So if you want to , you can make the fuselage sturdier .
You can make the fuselage single layer , double layer or triple layer .
Single layer will be the lightest but not as sturdy .... and will have the least edge surface area for glueing to the wing .
Double layer will be more sturdy and with more edge surface area .
Triple layer will be the sturdiest and with the most edge surface area .

You can also add a fillet to increase the strength of the fuselage/wing joint ( see photos ↓ ) .

The rudder will work the same whether single , double or triple layer .

In the photo below is the fuselage of my current SE , I made the fuselage double layer for sturdiness because it has a heavy powerful motor and uses a heavy 2200mAh 3S battery . Here is a video of it doing a VTO :

Super Easy VTO (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 07, 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Sep 07, 2018, 09:34 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspangler
Looking at pictures of completed planes, I've not seen any that include a triple layered fuselage.
In post #744 are photos ( and a video ) of a triple layer fuselage SE :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=744
Sep 07, 2018, 03:59 PM
ski bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
RCG member Nightstone did so successfully , the elevons need to be full span to be effective : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=216

If possible , post a video of your SE flying .
I'm amazed you knew about the Nightstone plane. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Think I'll work in that direction. I've got a whole raft of unbuilt flying wing kits, still in box. Using cheap DTFB to get incrementally closer to a flying wing seems like a cool project. Bash those up and not the commercial wings.

The wind yesterday morning was too high. So was the wind this morning. But the wind this afternoon was perfect. Time to fly the SE. Wish I had a video, but
my camerawoman was unavailable and I have no hat cam...not even a hat on which to put a cam.

Thought the Blue Wonder would be too small. Wasn't. Like you indicated, when flying level the SE really moves! I need a bigger park. Finding one is the very next order of business. Oh, and 40% rate was just right for the rudder. Thanks for the heads up. Can't even imagine what full rudder would do.
Sep 07, 2018, 05:52 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
I'm amazed you knew about the Nightstone plane. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Think I'll work in that direction. I've got a whole raft of unbuilt flying wing kits, still in box. Using cheap DTFB to get incrementally closer to a flying wing seems like a cool project. Bash those up and not the commercial wings.

The wind yesterday morning was too high. So was the wind this morning. But the wind this afternoon was perfect. Time to fly the SE. Wish I had a video, but
my camerawoman was unavailable and I have no hat cam...not even a hat on which to put a cam.

Thought the Blue Wonder would be too small. Wasn't. Like you indicated, when flying level the SE really moves! I need a bigger park. Finding one is the very next order of business. Oh, and 40% rate was just right for the rudder. Thanks for the heads up. Can't even imagine what full rudder would do.
If you're looking for a tough wing , the Crashtesthobby Assassin is nearly indestructible . In this video they fly it repeatedly into a brick wall :

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3 12 (4 min 14 sec)

A blue wonder is a great motor for a lightweight SE . Did you enjoy flying your SE ?
Sep 07, 2018, 08:58 PM
ski bum
Quote:
If you're looking for a tough wing , the Crashtesthobby Assassin is nearly indestructible . In this video they fly it repeatedly into a brick wall :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSa5DVzP8iA
Ha ha ha, that was a great video. The Assassin may be the perfect intro to flying wings. Much more investigation to come...
Quote:
A blue wonder is a great motor for a lightweight SE . Did you enjoy flying your SE ?
The SE impressed me more than I expected. Straight and level, it was on a rail. Even though I chose low-wind conditions, I can imagine the SE would be tossed around a lot less in gusty conditions than the planes I've been flying recently.

At 100 Watts and above, its climb performance was impressive.

Power-off, its glide was smooth and stable. It landed softly.

Response to control input was excellent and predictable across all flight domains.

Appearance-wise, I've had mixed feelings. But Hookit's SE out of green floor insulation foam was striking. I guess that's when the SE began growing on me. Even though mine is plain ol' white, it's starting to grow on me too.
Sep 08, 2018, 12:35 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Appearance-wise, I've had mixed feelings. But Hookit's SE out of green floor insulation foam was striking. I guess that's when the SE began growing on me. Even though mine is plain ol' white, it's starting to grow on me too.
Easy enough to decorate your SE with some lightweight colored tape .
Sep 08, 2018, 11:08 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Here's one possible decorating idea ↓
Sep 08, 2018, 11:50 AM
ski bum
Quote:
Here's one possible decorating idea ↓
Ha! That'd be epic. I've got an artistic daughter who would go to town with something like that. But I'm also intrigued by TooJung2Die's idea of a red and green wing for enhanced orientation - not just better visibility but something that automatically tells your fingers what to do.
Sep 08, 2018, 12:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
Quote:
Ha! That'd be epic. I've got an artistic daughter who would go to town with something like that. But I'm also intrigued by TooJung2Die's idea of a red and green wing for enhanced orientation - not just better visibility but something that automatically tells your fingers what to do.
Red and green is a good idea , can be done with lightweight colored tape ..... or LED lights . I get LEDs from Hobbypartz , on 3S they are bright enough for daytime use .
https://www.hobbypartz.com/rc-led-lights.html
Sep 08, 2018, 01:05 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Thread OP
A few years ago I put white LEDs on a Super Easy to mimic the "Phoenix Lights" UFO from 1997 .

UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)

Quick Reply