The Micro RTF Quadcopters Thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jul 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
dedmonwakin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC
Did you check to see if it would bind to the v929's TX? I doubt it, but you never know.
Yeah, no dice. Nor does it bind to my airtronics compatible radio or spektrum dx6i. But, it's possible that it would bind to a walkera since it's a clone of it and always hope for a 9x to you 9x owners.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 04:43 PM
Addict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
6 axis gyro means 3 gyros plus 3 accelerometers. At least this is what Walkera means.
I know what it means but it is incorrect, misleading, and stupid terminology and it annoys me greatly that people use it. There are no fourth, fifth, and sixth axis and an accelerometer shares absolutely nothing in common with a gyro. Proper terminology would be 6DOF.
Jul 31, 2012, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard
How do you know if it has a 6 axis or 3 axis? The walkera LB v2 was advertised with a 6 axis gyro. The UDI U816 was also advertised with 6 axis gyro.
Where is the advertising on Ladybird v2? It must be wrong....as I am sure that it is 3 axis gyro, that the walkera said
Jul 31, 2012, 07:41 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
dedmonwakin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8
I know what it means but it is incorrect, misleading, and stupid terminology and it annoys me greatly that people use it. There are no fourth, fifth, and sixth axis and an accelerometer shares absolutely nothing in common with a gyro. Proper terminology would be 6DOF.
Edit:Forget it, I'm just confusing myself now
Last edited by dedmonwakin; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:24 PM
Addict.
Well I'm responding anyways

Really 6DoF describes an ability to move in six ways (forward and backward, left and right, up and down, roll, pitch, and yaw) but in this instance, talking about the flight controller, it would describe the sensors ability to sense all six movements. It is common in IMUs for an array of purposes to describe their sensory abilities in degrees of freedom.
It bothers me that manufacturers say six axis gyro because it is very confusing to people trying to understand the how and why of this hobby. Even without that it helps when flying to understand how it all works.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXIA
Where is the advertising on Ladybird v2? It must be wrong....as I am sure that it is 3 axis gyro, that the walkera said
here at ehirobo -

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=12114
Jul 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
The flightless bird
jameschen072's Avatar
I just checked with my Walkera contact (He's an engineer there) and he said the V2 doesn't have accelerometers. It's part of the cost reduction but he said it's every bit as stable as the V1.
Regarding the terminology.. even he calls it a six axis sensor..so I guess it's quite hard to get everyone to call it what it is :/
Last edited by jameschen072; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
I just checked with my Walkera contact (He's an engineer there) and he said the V2 doesn't have accelerometers. It's part of the cost reduction but he said it's every bit as stable as the V1.
Regarding the terminology.. even he calls it a six axis sensor..so I guess it's quite hard to get everyone to call it what it is :/
afraid that it is....
Jul 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User

compass


For the manufacturers....I think it would be a great idea to add compass to the board and a switch in the tx to activate carefree mode (carefree mode ensures the quad go forward when you push forward no matter where the quad is pointing...and same in the other directions)....As many of you already know the range of these micro is by far longer than the LOS...so its really easy to lost orientation when flying them...so I think that to add compass function would really be a nice add on.
Just my two cents,
Jose
Jul 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard
Yes...I saw it!!...but actually it is 3 axis gyro..for reducing the V2 cost. anyway, maybe they mean it is stable as well as 6 aixs. But they really should correct it, or many customers will confuse...
Jul 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Addict.
How would a compass help?
Jul 31, 2012, 11:07 PM
The flightless bird
jameschen072's Avatar
Jose: That is similar to the GPS hold function or attitude/altitude functions found on larger quads.. It's possible that in the future the technology may trickle down to these micro quads but it's very unlikely that you'll see that in a micro quad right now
Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 PM
Registered User

not so far...possibly..:)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072
Jose: That is similar to the GPS hold function or attitude/altitude functions found on larger quads.. It's possible that in the future the technology may trickle down to these micro quads but it's very unlikely that you'll see that in a micro quad right now
Hmmm...well...for GPS you need another sensor (GPS unit), and for the AHold you need a barometer...but for the compass you already have solutions in just one single chip (9 axis control...3axisgyro-3axisacc-compass)
well...with the mpu- 9150 at least at this moment: http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu9150.html

I know this would make the product a bitmore expensive (maybe 10 usd more) but the ability of recovering the machine when losing orientation probably worths them..

Saludos,
Jose
Jul 31, 2012, 11:22 PM
Registered User

carefree


Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8
How would a compass help?
With the compass and the right software the machine "can" remember where it was pointing when took off and later if you want you can activate this memory and the quad will follow the sticks movements according to "your" position instead to "its" position. Id suggest you do a little search in multirotor forums about carefree mode for better understanding...cause Im really bad explaining this..

Saludos,
Jose
Jul 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
Addict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao
With the compass and the right software the machine "can" remember where it was pointing when took off and later if you want you can activate this memory and the quad will follow the sticks movements according to "your" position instead to "its" position. Id suggest you do a little search in multirotor forums about carefree mode for better understanding...cause Im really bad explaining this..

Saludos,
Jose
I would suggest that you do a little more reading about carefree mode. A compass alone will only be able to tell it what direction it was facing when it started versus now, and that won't help any in bringing it back to where you are. Carefree mode only uses the compass to know which direction it is facing so it can interface with a GPS to know how it should move with a given stick input. A GPS alone would be much more useful than a compass alone, it can RTH without a compass.

Also strange that they call it 9 axis, it is just providing feedback for the yaw axis, if anything it is a stretch to refer to it as 7 axis.
Last edited by skitchen8; Aug 01, 2012 at 12:00 AM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Personal attack Rule as it applies to Trader Talk Thread Titles porcia83 Site Suggestions / Complaints 3 Jul 27, 2012 11:58 AM
For Sale Quadcopter Parts Sale Thread mfkubak Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 10 Jul 26, 2012 02:33 PM
Discussion Why are there so many heli threads in the Airplane Micro RTF forum? Bowerz Site Chat 38 Dec 15, 2009 06:43 PM
Wattage RTF Micro Flyer (thread #2) Skyshark Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 233 Sep 17, 2009 02:22 PM
Wattage RTF Micro Flyer (thread #1) Bleriot Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 384 Dec 15, 2004 02:28 PM