Nov 18, 2003, 09:44 AM
Thread OP

Earl Stahl P-40 conversion

Now that my Hellcat is flying, it is time to start a new project. I've got the itch to scratchbuild again. This time it is going to be the Earl Stahl P-40 enlarged to a little over 36". I downloaded the plans from the plans page, inserted the pages as pictures in turbocad, then enlarged them 1.5 to 1. Plan is to build a P-40 from the Flying Tigers. If anyone has any documentation or pics, I would love to see them. The plans are for a P-40D. Was that the model the Tigers flew or was it a different one?

Anyway, here are my specs

ws 36"
motor GWS 300C C gearbox-because I have one
prop GWS 10X8
Battery 7 cell 1000mah Nimh-again because I have one
2 hs-55 servo
AUW 15 onces

Last night I started making up my kit of parts.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
Heli Bouncer
Sounds like a nice plan to work from Jim, I'll be watching.

I've down loaded the Vought 143 export fighter plans for a scaling up winter build also. The plans page is quite a resource isn't it?

Looee
Nov 18, 2003, 01:12 PM
Old Timer
I believe the Tigers flew the P-40C
Nov 18, 2003, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
What are the differences between a C and D version?

Also, would it be worth the effort to add lightening holes in the wing ribs?

Thanks
Jim
Nov 18, 2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Jim
The p-40 to P-40Cc was a modification of the Hawk 75 series fitted with an allison engine(Hawk 81A). The P-40D was a redesign with a different Allison engine. The D model was given the designation Hawk 87A. Some deminsons were changed for the more powerful engine and to correct some of its flight characteristics. Yes the P-40C (Tomahawk II) was sold to the Chinese (100) and became the Flying Tigers.
Nov 18, 2003, 10:18 PM
Jim, you've picked my favourite plane from that era. I hope to do a large version for 20-30 cell brushless in the next year or two.

Condor & GHMBO are correct, the Tigers flew C models

I've attached a scan of a C model and an E (which has the same nose as the D ) so that you can see the differences in the chin cowl area, the ducting on the top of the nose, and the cockpit glazing. Note the changes to the windscreen, the shape of the sliding canopy, and the altered tapered window area behind the pilot's head. Those are the major differences between the 2 marks.
HTH
Brad.
Last edited by Brad Trent; Nov 18, 2003 at 10:37 PM.
Nov 18, 2003, 11:57 PM
Old Timer

P - 40

Condor & GHMBO are correct, the Tigers flew C models

This is a model I built in 1942 U-Control Ohlsson 60 powered.
Eut
Nov 19, 2003, 02:55 AM
All the original AVG aircraft were basically P-40C configuration built for the British, but they did receive some P-40Es before the group was ultimately absorbed into the USAF.

Chuck Hill
Nov 19, 2003, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Boy, there is a big differencd between the C and D version. From what I have seen, the British were the biggest uses of the D and E versions in North Africa. Does anyone have any pictures of the Kittyhawk P-40E in North Africa? I think the D and E were virtually identical in outward appearance.

Thanks
Jim
Nov 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
I have seen several post on this forum about how to transfer plans to the wood. This is how I do it.

1. I make 2 copies of the plans.
2. I cut out the formers, ribs, keels, wingtips, and tailpieces.
3. Next prepare the wood. All the pieces that will have 2 made will be cut from 2 sheets of wood stuck together with rubber cement. These pieces include the fuse formers, wing ribs and tips, and the horizontal stab.
4. After the wood has been selected and the plan parts cut out, both get a coating of rubber cement, allowed to dry to the touch and then the plan pieces are stuck to the wood.
5. Finally, I cut the parts out with a my scroll saw. When the part is ready for use, the rubber cement and the paper rub off easily with a finger tip.

Right now, I am almost finished sticking the plan pieces to the wood. Should finish that tonight. I will post a pic when I finish. This weekend will be devoted to cutting.

Jim
Nov 19, 2003, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
here is my kit
Nov 19, 2003, 10:27 PM
California Condor,
I think it is awesome you built that 6o years ago!
Matt
Nov 20, 2003, 01:49 AM
Is this what you're looking for, Jim?

Top view:
Nov 20, 2003, 01:50 AM
Front and side views:
Nov 20, 2003, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Brad,

Thats the one. Can anyone verify this for me, I always thought that the RAF in North Africa were the first to paint the Sharks teeth on the P-40? I think that is the scheme I want to build.

Thanks for the pic Brad.

Condor, that is a pretty awesome model for 1942.

Jim

Quick Reply