Dec 09, 2016, 01:49 PM
the disco and the skywalker are both pre built models as far as I know. The disco is for a fact, and needs its own TX and stuff, very proprietary.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2016, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronaut117
the disco and the skywalker are both pre built models as far as I know. The disco is for a fact, and needs its own TX and stuff, very proprietary.
For what I am trying to do both can work without issue, just trying to see if I can go even smaller and lighter.

We will see how this goes, if it doesn't work out, i'll keep this for fun and throw a FPV camera on it, but, if it's atleast 15 dm2 of wing area 600 grams should be no issue
Dec 09, 2016, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronaut117
Am I correct, in that the Disco uses a closed source version of mission planner? I heard C.H.U.C.K. was essentially a pixhawk.
Dec 09, 2016, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by windance
Am I correct, in that the Disco uses a closed source version of mission planner? I heard C.H.U.C.K. was essentially a pixhawk.
No, this is not correct. Parrot has their own autopilot system, but, Arduplane can be loaded onto CHUCK and then you can use mission planner just like it was a pixhawk, however, the stock firmware is not based on ardupilot.
Dec 11, 2016, 03:17 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Im about to put mine together for FPV. Has anyone put the servos on the top surface as I land on rough scrub.
Dec 11, 2016, 03:28 AM
A lot of people have. Works fine.

You might want to consider putting something like strapping or shipping tape on the leading edge to avoid taking junks out if your landing strip has anything that will catch the wings. Laminating might even be in order.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:33 PM
having dusted my wing z84 of after getting new batteries, i have an issue with a digital servo. always been there, but thought i had a funky mix or thrust angle. fine at low to mid speeds, but on full throttle, one of the servos osciallets, as if it is fluttering, even with model being held testing on the bench. could this be an overpropped motor?
turning plush esc 30 a
dys2822/8 2600kv motor
HobbyKing™ HKSCM9-6 Singlechip Digital Micro Servo
frisky v8r4 ii rx
Dec 17, 2016, 02:51 PM
Keep Looking Up
Did you check control horns really good? They are pretty weak without reinforcement and/or extra glue.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:51 PM
I've given them a look over, all good. wish it was them!
Dec 17, 2016, 02:54 PM
could be my equipment 'layout' combined with digital servos?
Dec 17, 2016, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collective itch
having dusted my wing z84 of after getting new batteries, i have an issue with a digital servo. always been there, but thought i had a funky mix or thrust angle. fine at low to mid speeds, but on full throttle, one of the servos osciallets, as if it is fluttering, even with model being held testing on the bench. could this be an overpropped motor?
turning plush esc 30 a
dys2822/8 2600kv motor
HobbyKing™ HKSCM9-6 Singlechip Digital Micro Servo
frisky v8r4 ii rx
Most likely dirty power from a bec tied in to your esc. I have had that issue before. Fine when motor is not running, bad at higher throttles. Try a stand alone bec or a different esc.
Dec 18, 2016, 06:50 AM
i have another hobby king 30 a esc, with a 3 amp bec, so will try that. i think maybe those servos are drawing to much amp for the 2 amp bec in the current esc.
Dec 18, 2016, 08:24 AM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by collective itch
i have another hobby king 30 a esc, with a 3 amp bec, so will try that. i think maybe those servos are drawing to much amp for the 2 amp bec in the current esc.
using the bec in the esc is usually a bad idea, they are just linier regulators so they overheat easily and because its part of the esc, if you overheat your esc you loose control also.
Dec 18, 2016, 08:46 AM
Keep Looking Up
I make sure to get switching becs in my ESCs if I can help it.

But the cheap 30amp ESC that came with the PNP Z-84 from Gearbest that I am sure was just a linear style BEC still allowed me full control when when it overheated, causing motor to stop. Maybe I just got lucky.

Caught it on video actually:
https://youtu.be/XbvNx0vMCzY?t=4m55s

The ESC in there now is a YEP 30amp ESC with a nice switching BEC. I trust it.
Dec 18, 2016, 09:41 AM
turns out, it was my servo extension lead i put on one of the servos to try and mount the rx in a better location. removed the extensions, and no more twitch!
need to balance my prop though....

prop now balanced, soldered in a servo extension, all good, looking forward to some flights now1
Last edited by collective itch; Dec 18, 2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply