Jul 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

are heli's for me?

i've flown rc planes for 3 years, owned about 5 different planes. i've flown co axials with no problem. considering the Eflite Blade 120 sr. i have owned a blade cp and a blade cp pro, totaled them both without even one successful flight. should i just stick to planes? my LHS says some people just arent meant to fly helicopters... and suggests i just stick to my planes.

i want to give heli's another try... but would hate to waste another good heli with my slow reaction time on the sticks.

another thing i wonder about is if i can figure out all the parts of a heli on my own, as i live in a place with no clubs and my LHS is not so local.... i'm on my own out here.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cranky old fart
The Blade CP and CP Pro were horrible helis. Very difficult to fly. Wrecking them without a flight is par for the course. A 120SR would be perfect for you.
Jul 30, 2012, 12:51 AM
Crash and learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
A 120SR would be perfect for you.
And you already have a transmitter?
Jul 30, 2012, 07:48 AM

Hello

120SR is a great next helicopter for you! It will wander a little more than a coaxial but is a dream to fly.
You simply could not ask for a better 2nd helicopter. A word of advice though, Get a bind and fly helicopter and a better radio
than the game controller style TX. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but unfortunately I don't think the CP pro transmitter will work with the 120. If you can get your hands on a DX4e, DX5 or CX2 transmitter LP5DSM. LP stands for low power so don't get to far away from yourself it will be good for about 100' after that things get a little iffy, but it will be OK for learning to hover and slow flight. I used one for my first 2 years. What do you fly your planks with?
Please take a few and read the linked document, it will help you.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....81#post3854881

Hope this helps you
Ron
Last edited by Imzzaudae; Jul 30, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Jul 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
i actually have a dx6i i use on my planes. thanks for the input i'll give the 120 sr a try. once i master that what would be a good first cp heli?
Jul 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastbyers
i actually have a dx6i i use on my planes. thanks for the input i'll give the 120 sr a try. once i master that what would be a good first cp heli?
Let's not get too far ahead of yourself. A 120SR is a nice beginner heli, but that's all it is. Previous plane experience helps some people fly larger CP helis, but there's no guarantees. Maybe try an MQx quad next. It responds as fast as any CP heli and requires more skill than a 120SR.
Jul 30, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
yes, i am going to get the 120 sr, but i want to move up to collective pitch heli's after a while. quads are something that don't interest me. i've flown a few quads and just am not a fan.

i'm not saying i want to jump into a collective pitch next month, i would just like to know what would be my next step, other than a quad.
Jul 30, 2012, 10:18 AM

Hello again

Great news that you have a DX6i. Thats the best news I have heard all day.

Why don't you drop $200 on Real Flight Simulator, RC Flight simulator!
Learn how to Take off and hover the Impala with training gear on the simulator.

As soon as you can Hover, start flying the Impala with no training gear.
Learn to hover, forward flight, orientations and turns.
A Real Basic Way To Learn To Fly Your Blade MSR (6 min 19 sec)

The best part is you won't have to fix your helicopter every time you crash.

Note that this will be a huge challenge for you. It took me 90 day practicing an hour an evening to get this helicopter under control and be able to hover it tail in, in front of me in a box 20' square. Once you get comfortable with it you can start moving the helicopter around and start orientations and turns.

Once you can fly the impala around.
Get a bind and fly MCPX and read every article at the link bellow.
This is my Links that will help MCPX Newbies sticky on the freak.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=407020

If you stick with the 120SR fly it with your DX6i until it's easy!
Then see MCPX link.

Hope this helps you
Ron
Last edited by Imzzaudae; Jul 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Jul 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
i appreciate the information, however i have been using realflight for the past 24 hours straight flying heli's. i feel pretty confident about it, however a simulator is only so realistic, as i have learned with planes.
Jul 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastbyers
i appreciate the information, however i have been using realflight for the past 24 hours straight flying heli's. i feel pretty confident about it, however a simulator is only so realistic, as i have learned with planes.
So, you have one day of experience then. Your brain needs more than that, and your hours don't really count. One day is one day, whether you spent 15 minutes or 10 hours. Your brain needs the sleep cycle to internalize what you learned, and if you don't have that, you're still thinking it through, and with helicopters, it needs to be instinct. To turn a learned skill into instinct you need to challenge your brain with it every day - not for hours on end.

However, I will disagree with others - I personally think that starting with a high performance CP helicopter is possible because that's what I did and so have a lot of other people. Back when I started, there was no such thing as a 120-SR, or any other decent "trainer" helicopters, so we had no choice, and we simmed until we felt pretty good about it, then we agonized over our setup till the helicopter was perfect, then we fired it up with some training balls and hoped for the best. In my case it worked out fine, but for many people that is the start of an endless cycle of crashing and fixing, in which they never get more than a few seconds of flight time.

You will have to make the decision which path you want to go down, but my advice is to take advantage of the current state of affairs and avoid those mistakes that we were forced into back then. You have trainer helicopters available and you should make use of them. It will help you learn with less frustration, and the 120-SR is just plain fun to fly also.
Jul 30, 2012, 04:31 PM

Hello again

Spend a few evenings learning to hover with the simulator. It's time you will not regret once you lift a real helicopter off the ground. Simply because you will be able to fly the helicopter.

As you stated a simulator is only so realistic but it will get your brain eyes and fingers flying helicopter instead of planks.

When it comes to helicopters your aircraft experience will help you as your used to the controls and radio.
Once you start orientations your brain is already wired to reverse controls when flying towards yourself.

Before you get talked into do something stupid like lift a 450 off the ground with no experience. Keep in mind that a helicopter like that is very powerful very fast, needs to be flown all the time and it will hurt you! On top of that every time you make a mistake it will cost you $100.00 or more to fix it! plus down time! I've seen way to many guys fall into this trap.

It's like taking a Goldberg Supper Chipmunk out for a fly after your first lesson on an Eagle 2. The end result is about the same!

Give it a few days practicing on the simulator! Read the information I provided you in the link it will help you!

If you are able to hover the helicopters in Real flight fairly well, MCPX and your DX6i are the way to go. It's a great little CP trainer.
Believe me, you are going to crash it 500 times you need something that will not break every time you pile it into the ground.
When you can take MCPX out fly it all day no crashes! Think about a 130X or larger more powerful helicopter.
You have likely already out grown 120SR.
Depending how you do, you may want to try this setup
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=433975
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Ron
Last edited by Imzzaudae; Jul 30, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Jul 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
i thank you all for your time and the information provided, i believe i will go with the blade mcpx, its kind of small but i believe it will be best to learn on, as i do feel like the blade 120 sr is a little simple, yes it is a great beginner heli, and i may be wrong, but i believe from my own gut feeling and what i'm experiencing on the simulator that i can handle a little more than the 120 sr.
Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 PM

Great

MCPX is small but it has the heart of a lion. You will love this little helicopter.
If you have any problems getting set up. Look me up.
Ron
Jul 31, 2012, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
i'm reading a lot of people have some issues with the mcpx shaking? is this a big deal?
Jul 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
My other addiction!
Just take the spare grommets out of the little bag of spare parts they give you and slip those over the two front swash balls, then snap the links back on. That will eliminate 90% of the shakes.

Quick Reply