Nov 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
don't sweat the details too much. you'll drive yourself nuts. LOL.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Rich is righ Rlebaron, I wouldn't change or go to much further off scale than you have on your control sufaces etc The real 747 flies fine the way it is . . . .RC builders always think that they have to increase wingspans or wing chords or make things bigger then on the real plane & all it does in the longrun is make the RC plane heavier & fly in an unpredictable manner or be subject to overcontrol. A perfect excample is there was a guy on youtube who made a HUGE turbine Erj-145 and built the wing WAY to huge and in the end it didn't even look like a 145 it looked more like a TU-134!. . .always remember Rlebaron the real 747 Flies reasonably well the way Boeing designed it to.. . . And so will yours!
Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
And did I mention that your 747-8 ROCKS!
Dec 04, 2012, 07:30 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Anything new to report on the build?
Dec 04, 2012, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC
Anything new to report on the build?
I have finally cut out all of the control surfaces, CA hinged on the elevators, rudder and ailerons and put the flap hinges on. The flap hinges were a bit a chore. I placed them where the canoe fairings will cover them. The problem is that since I was using a basic hinge, I would not keep it in line with the longitudinal axis but instead perpendicular to the flap. It was the only way I could make them extend symmetrically. Anyhow I think it will end up fine, most of the flap hinge will be covered over with the canoe.

Brings me to an interesting topic. The flaps were cut vertical without a bevel- I used the hot wire to keep it clean. However, in retrospect I think beveled edges would have looked nicer when deployed. My thought is to round the upper part of the flap and extend the spoilers to overlap slightly. Not going to be quite as scale but aesthetically might look better. It would give both longer and deeper spoilers- not that they will help much at all.

Also, thanks to my good wife, she brought home egg-nog and was very proud of herself. Don't get me wrong I like egg-nog but she was so happy and I couldn't quite figure it out- must have been tired. Turns out the bottle is almost exactly perfect for the nacelles- I had sent her with a printout of one. Time to down some more and kill my diet.
Dec 04, 2012, 09:47 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebaron
I have finally cut out all of the control surfaces, CA hinged on the elevators, rudder and ailerons and put the flap hinges on. The flap hinges were a bit a chore. I placed them where the canoe fairings will cover them. The problem is that since I was using a basic hinge, I would not keep it in line with the longitudinal axis but instead perpendicular to the flap. It was the only way I could make them extend symmetrically. Anyhow I think it will end up fine, most of the flap hinge will be covered over with the canoe.

Brings me to an interesting topic. The flaps were cut vertical without a bevel- I used the hot wire to keep it clean. However, in retrospect I think beveled edges would have looked nicer when deployed. My thought is to round the upper part of the flap and extend the spoilers to overlap slightly. Not going to be quite as scale but aesthetically might look better. It would give both longer and deeper spoilers- not that they will help much at all.

Also, thanks to my good wife, she brought home egg-nog and was very proud of herself. Don't get me wrong I like egg-nog but she was so happy and I couldn't quite figure it out- must have been tired. Turns out the bottle is almost exactly perfect for the nacelles- I had sent her with a printout of one. Time to down some more and kill my diet.

Rlebon Looks like a Hot women spread eagle on a table wait'in for some lov'in. . .LMAO . . . . . .in other words Damm that's a sexy jet!

& love the container Bottle nacel Idea . . .I've done that once or twice. . . Lol
Dec 04, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver
Rlebon Looks like a Hot women spread eagle on a table wait'in for some lov'in. . .LMAO . . . . . .in other words Damm that's a sexy jet!

& love the container Bottle nacel Idea . . .I've done that once or twice. . . Lol
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. I guess we'll have to name her.
Dec 05, 2012, 01:40 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. I guess we'll have to name her.
Lol . . .I name all my planes after women for good luck. . . . .seems to work. . . . . . .seems to.
Dec 05, 2012, 12:22 PM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Quote:
I've never seen one in person- can't wait to though. Not many heavies make it to Albuquerque.

Just saw these- don't know how I missed them before- some amazing design and build skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHSu9ALlrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midVVv5qJV8

Also, one question for those chiming in- I increased the size of the elevator by about 15-20%. To me it still looks like I'll need something bigger- Thoughts? I guess it will work but would hate to finish it all and realize it needed a little more.
I don't think you'll lack for elevator authority, but you might need to make adjustments to the size of the ailerons.
Dec 05, 2012, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC
I don't think you'll lack for elevator authority, but you might need to make adjustments to the size of the ailerons.
Yeah I hear you. I made the ailerons twice the surface area from scale- I assume that will be enough.

Two issues:

First- Elevator and rudder servo placement. My life would be a thousand times easier if I just placed the servos under the horizontal stabs and on the side of the rudder- much like the Windrider 737. Originally I was going to place them internally and run long push rods. The difficulty with this is getting the two elevators symmetric since I don't want to be punching tons of holes in the fuse. See pictures. I do have tons of spackle though.

Second- Spoilers- I can either keep them scale for looks or increase the size per the pictures and have them overhang the flaps about 5mm The nice thing about this is that I will be able to round the upper surface of the flap which will improve appearance when deployed. Not sure if this is helpful or just plain stupid.
Dec 06, 2012, 09:41 AM
KFC
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Quote:
Yeah I hear you. I made the ailerons twice the surface area from scale- I assume that will be enough.

Two issues:

First- Elevator and rudder servo placement. My life would be a thousand times easier if I just placed the servos under the horizontal stabs and on the side of the rudder- much like the Windrider 737. Originally I was going to place them internally and run long push rods. The difficulty with this is getting the two elevators symmetric since I don't want to be punching tons of holes in the fuse. See pictures. I do have tons of spackle though.

Second- Spoilers- I can either keep them scale for looks or increase the size per the pictures and have them overhang the flaps about 5mm The nice thing about this is that I will be able to round the upper surface of the flap which will improve appearance when deployed. Not sure if this is helpful or just plain stupid.
On the elevators I would definitely have the servos set into the horizontal stab, particularly since there is a slight dihedral on the horizontal stabs which makes using a joiner between the elevators extremely difficult if not impossible (I have to admit that I couldn't figure it out) Easiest solution I found was to use one servo for each elevator and to program the servos individually in my radio to match the travel and neutral positions between the two halves.
Dec 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
So these came today. I don't get it. It takes three days to get something from New York and 7 days to get it shipped from Hong Kong. Good job Xflight. Anyhow, did a rough nacelle out of an extra. Next will be to cut some pylons. I'm assuming I will need to design in a little downward angle of the fans. Balancing these will be a good time.
Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Fan inside the nacelle.
Dec 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
Looking sweet. Nice job.
I did my elevators just like the eflite super airliner is hooked up. One servo for both surfaces. It was ok but now for my latest I'm just going to keep it simple. One servo for each elevator.
Dec 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12
Looking sweet. Nice job.
I did my elevators just like the eflite super airliner is hooked up. One servo for both surfaces. It was ok but now for my latest I'm just going to keep it simple. One servo for each elevator.
Well it's good to know the pros keep it simple- I'll plan to do the same.

Quick Reply