Jul 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

747-8i Build

Ok everyone. I am newish here but have finally decided to stop being a reader only and build an airliner. I think I might as well go for the gusto and start with a 747-8i. Basic plans are as such: I will be using the 3 view schematic found online since there are not a whole lot of in depth drawings. The plan is to make this out of solid home depot 2" foam cut with a hotwire. I have already done a mock up 10" model that seemed to turn out well with that technique (pictures below). I just think doing a depron fuselage is going to be tough with contours the way they are ( not that all of that sanding will be a cake walk). The plan is to start with the fuselage in the next week or so.

Dimensions:
Length:83" (6.9')
Width: 74" (6.2')
Estimated weight:?-5-6 lbs.

Power: 4 70mm edf's from hobby king (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ssembled_.html ). I've used this one on a parkjet I built and it seems to hold up well for the money.
Batteries: Need some help. Planning on 3S, 25-30C- Should I go for 4 smaller guys (2200 mAh range) or drop two large ~4000-5000 mAh in?
Servos: Have not built a plane this large so I am open to suggestions. Not sure how big I'll need given the relatively light weight.
Retracts: 5 servoless. Does HK sell a steerable nose retract?
Gear: Homemade using DD's method. I'm a little unclear how the strut attaches to the gear truck.
Nacelles/cowling: Plan to use Woolfson's method. Seems the most strait forward.
Flaps: Probably just simple fowler type flaps- both inboard and outboard.
Spoilers will be on there for scale appearance but I'm not sure if I will make them functional.
Not planning on other goodies such as leading slats, gear doors, thrust reversers, etc. We'll see. If this one goes well maybe I do another in 90mm and get a little more fancy.
Livery: Not a whole lot of choices yet. Maybe Lufthansa or even the new Boeing red/orange.
Airfoil: Clark Y.
As this is my first airliner I am anticipating that attaching the wings to the box and horizontal stabs will be technically difficult. Any input, ideas, thoughts, jokes, etc would be greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for more.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
OH-yeah! You know I'm Subbing up for this Build Baron!

This is gonna be great!
Jul 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
BlackLivesMatter.
747 build!!! i likeeeeeeee!
Jul 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
Airliner Builder
Subscribed!

Ethan
Jul 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Give me a TriStar anyday!
VERY interesting...subbed!
Jul 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
clsink1128
Can't wait to see this one maiden. I'm tuned in.
Jul 31, 2012, 07:22 PM
subbed
Sep 09, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thread OP

Update

So progress is slow- mostly due to hectic work hours and limited time at home but it's coming along. I just finished the rough fuselage- made with 4 stacked blocks of 2" home depot foam. I outlined the template then used a foam cutter to make the basic design. Now lots-o-sanding on the horizon. I have also cut out wings and stabilizers but need to now cut airfoils. I am sure I will need to do some hollow work to the fuse to cut some weight.
Sep 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
Scale Modeler
Look good, nice outline profile there of the fuselage mate....

What are specs of your model?
Sep 09, 2012, 09:06 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Rlebaron that's outstanding work so far . . .. nice technique! Just be shure to hollow her out or she'll be VERY heavy.
Sep 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks.

So the fuselage is 69" long (5.75 ft, 175 cm) and the wing span is 62" which is a little shorter than originally planned. I used a tile program and set the scale off of the nacelle.

Yeah- not sure what the weight is now but it's gonna need some slimming down.
Sep 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver
Rlebaron that's outstanding work so far . . .. nice technique! Just be shure to hollow her out or she'll be VERY heavy.
How do you hollow out your nose and tail sections DD? I was thinking a long knife- not sure if it's too crude though.
Sep 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
Scale Modeler
I can help with hollowing your fuselage but it will require sectioning it in 5-6 sections and then use templates to do so. Do you have cross sections or station drawings for the fuselage?
Sep 09, 2012, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
I don't have cross sectional templates for the 8i. I was essentially shooting from the hip on some from the 400 + google images. So you're saying sand it, then cut it into 5-6 sections then hollow correct? Sounds like a good idea. Would you reassemble with epoxy + some type of rod (CF) as support?
Sep 09, 2012, 10:07 PM
Scale Modeler
If you have any 747 variants cross sections except for 747SP then those will work, B748 was not widened but it was stretched 18.5' the other previous models, it's wingspan has been also increased to 250' vs 211' for 744.

You really need cross section drawings to make accurate templates through out the length of the aircraft. Now if you can find for earlier variants, thats good coz we can place them further apart at strategic locations before cutting the fuselage in sections. See what you can find and then enlarge those drawings to scale of you fuselage to match them exactly....

Quick Reply