This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

So it continues, after 3 years

A lot besides sonar was done in the last 3 years, but the matter of making something bulletproof for an ordinary consumer requires revisiting it. The PCB fabrication has improved, since those days.

Jumper resisters of varying sizes have replaced most vias. Where vias are unavoidable, magnet wire has replaced wrapping wire. Chip capacitors have replaced through hole capacitors. ARM has replaced PIC. Single layer boards have replaced dual layer boards. They're lighter & cheaper when home made. Upside down etching has replaced manually shaking the acid. Leaving bare board has replaced flood filling, to reduce weight. Isolating solder points with small traces has given better solder balls. Having all connection points on the edge of the board has replaced scattering them throughout the board. Soldering molex connectors directly to the board has replaced umbilical wires. 1200dpi has replaced 600dpi. Landscape mode has replaced portrait mode, because the printer warps the long direction.

3D sonar using all 4 transducers for reception is the latest experiment. Surely, all these experiments have been done & given up on, before.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2012, 03:57 AM
Euphoric flights
Can you explain this project any more? I picked up the words "3D sonar" specifically.

Does this mean that if you can project the image on some sort of screen that you can navigate with that screen ?

Quick Reply