Jul 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Abandon All Hope - Chiggy von Richthofen is coming - plans

Yes. Is coming. I saw him today
Glider Chiggy von Richthofen (1 min 25 sec)

Be ware.

The Glider is flys. So maybe the big one will too.

Here is my sketchup model
Last edited by robertus; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
That looks very cool. Can't wait to see the big one.
Jul 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Great! Amazing roll stability in spite of the wing being anhedral!
Jul 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
That is pretty cool!Can't wait to see it flying!
Jul 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Odd glide it has.... It goes pretty straight and level, then stops and just falls.

Cool
Jul 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
thing looks awesome as a glider. Now you just need the airsoft turret on the hammerhead and guns on chiggy and you can have some great dogfights

Going to do the "abandon all hope" on the side?

also, when are you going to start making kits of these things? I want one of each

also, you made me have to go buy the DVD set of the show.
Jul 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
skumgummi dave
robertus:

A little 10 gram motor and a light battery and BNC and you would have that flying perfectly!

Thumbs up;

Dave-
Jul 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
A little 10 gram motor and a light battery and BNC and you would have that flying perfectly!
Absolutely. It's incredibly stable. It would only need elevons for control.

That thing is pretty damned remarkable, actually...
Jul 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Odd glide it has.... It goes pretty straight and level, then stops and just falls.
I've seen that glide before with my tandem wings balanced close to neutral CG. What's happening is that it stalls without pitching up (like you would see with a tail heavy plane) nor pitching down (like properly balanced and trimmed planes). So it maintains attitude but just loses lift.

The down side of this mode of stall is that it's very hard to recover from. What you want is for the nose to pitch down at the onset of stall allowing the plane to gain speed and recover from the stall. This is what you're seeing when you see an airplane porpoising.

There is a solution to this if you don't want to change CG. For my tandem wings I simply use motors that are powerful enough to be able to climb out of a stall so that I don't need to configure them nose heavy.
Jul 29, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Any advice is helpful. It's an unusual design.
In the second half of the movie I moved the CG forward and to improve glide.
I think to use Emax 2812 with propeller 7x4 or emax 2822 with 8x4 prop.
Dimensions

Here is CG calculated

And tested
Last edited by robertus; Jul 29, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Jul 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertus
...It's an unusual design...
It sure is. It really looks like some sort of Imperial fighter out of the first "Star Wars" movies.

Where did you get the idea for it?
Jul 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm really looking forward to see if this works. I've tried building an X-wing (the Star Wars fighter, not simply a plane with x wings) but failed to find a solution to spiral stability.

Due to the large forward area of the X-wing and zero vertical area behind the wing it was laterally unstable. It could be made to fly great as long as it's flying in a straight line but any attempt to turn it causes it to violently enter a spiraling spin straight into the ground.

This planform is similar but seems to be quite stable. I wonder if the spikes on the wing tips act as small canards thereby improving spiral stability. If so then there is hope for the X-wing.
Jul 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
Chiggy von Richthofen is the best pilot of alien race from tv show "Space Above and Beyond"
It's opponent to my SA-43 Hammerhead

Chiggy von Richthofen vs Hammerheads - tv show (14 min 20 sec)

Slebetman, Try adding low vertical stabiliser, but as far away from the center of gravity. even outside the wing. Like in my SA-43.
Last edited by robertus; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Jul 30, 2012, 12:30 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Quote:
...from tv show "Space Above and Beyond"...
Very cool! No wonder it reminded me of a Tie Fighter.
Jul 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Quote:
... tv show "Space Above and Beyond"
One of the best sci-fi series ever.

Quick Reply