Dust Captain cyclone separator and DIY water prefilter for workshop dust collection - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 29, 2014, 06:37 PM
B for Bruce
Good point Andy. Soap would not be a good idea due to the suds even with a small amount. Although a little soap IS a great wetting agent. More likely something like dishwasher rinse agent?

I'll look into the Rainbow vacuum company products but it's not a brand I've seen in my wanderings. But then I haven't looked much for it.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2014, 07:22 AM
You could use fabric softener or a little vinegar. You want to eliminate or reduce static charge which keeps things from getting 'wetted'. If you have automotive product lying around like 'Water Wetter', which makes radiator function better, that might be the ticket, too!
May 03, 2014, 02:13 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)

Some improvements

Irrelevant posting, as I described all changes in my first one.
Last edited by Julez; Sep 20, 2015 at 04:51 AM.
May 03, 2014, 02:21 PM
Good work, Julez. That's much like the Rainbow vacuum cleaner products. Low speed is a key.

Andy
May 04, 2014, 12:11 AM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
Hi!

I just improved my filter system a little.
Previously, I aimed at blowing the dust out of a nozzle below the water surface. This created lots of bubbles, turbulence and spray. Consequently, I had to add a water separator after the water filter to remove the water spray from the exhaust air.
Now, I tried a different approach. The air travels through a pipe in the water, and a gap allows water to enter the airflow. At the end, I added a large pipe to slow down the airflow and allow the spray to settle.
It works really well. The flow is now much more homogenous and predictable, and there is hardly any water spray at the exhaust, allowing me to remove the water separator.
I converted it into a cyclone-like filter, which I now use in front of the water filter to catch rough dust and metal chips. This works equally well.

The water filter guts are 40mm, 50mm, and 75mm drain pipes.
The cyclone only uses 40mm pipes.

Here is a video of the setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrLhpznvCg
Absolutely brilliant!!!
May 04, 2014, 08:04 PM
B for Bruce
VERY well done! ! ! And between the stills and the video it leaves pretty much nothing at all unexplained.

I've got a wet or dry vacuum that I'm thinking of modifying to work as the water filter and suction source all in one. And I'll likely set up an old 5 gallon bucket and lid as a separator disc style chip separator like you did.
Sep 20, 2015, 04:52 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Time for an update. I now added a Dust Captain cyclone separator. In order not to spread relevant information over the whole thread, I edited my first posting.
Jan 30, 2016, 08:15 PM

water bath

Julez I really like your ideas
I am a hobbyist and buff small pieces of metal like stainless steel and copper , the resulting black powdery dust is a real nuisance and dangerous it is sometimes mixed with cotton stringy lint from the wheels , I have been using a shop vac to collect as much of that stuff as I can but it has been a losing battle the filters bags on the vac having to be changed and still dust everywhere .

I have been reading many pages of material on dust collectors and cyclone systems , I have asked for opinions from experienced shop guys on whether the dust that I create may possibly be separated by the cyclone and not head directly into and plug the filter
no definitive answer , some say that the fine wood dust can be handled by the cyclone ... I would say that the dust that I generate is not smaller than fine wood dust ...but I think that the presence of wood chips etc with the fine wood dust helps that dust settle to the bottom of the cyclone whereas my dust has few large particles .

the water submersion you have designed intrigues me
Is the suction from your shop vac reduced a lot by the water bath & cyclone ?.....approximate percent ??
I need good vacuum at the wheel to capture most of that black dust
really hoping that I could get by w a powerful shop vac /small cyclone ?water bath rather than having to go for a complex dust collector system

thanks Barry
Jan 31, 2016, 10:34 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Hi Barry,
I often produce very fine dust as well, for example when grinding glass and carbon fibre material, or wood. This seems to be collected very well by the water filter, as my vacuum's filter still lokks like new after several years. The cyclone does not reduce the airflow noticably, but the water filter by approx. 25% or so. However, one needs to take into account that a clogged filter would do the same, and maybe even worse. For me, that trade off is absolutely worth the perfect filtering.
A cyclone is more geared towards filtering dust with higher density, as wood chips. Very fine dust is better collected with the water filter. As I produce both kinds of dust, I have both filters.
If you are producing fine dust mainly, I would skip the cyclone and only use a water filter.
Feb 01, 2016, 02:11 AM
Thanks Julez
good information , I live in Canada and cannot find the Aqua Jumbo anywhere except Germany so I will have to improvise something I guess
will post what I come up with , or perhaps another forum member will have a solution
cheers
Barry
Feb 01, 2016, 04:02 AM
B for Bruce
Barry, there's a bunch of great information to be had from a Google or other search on "water filtration vacuum". And run the same search terms on You Tube. Too many options to list here. So there's likely something that will fit your needs and size and preference in materials.

If you just put in "water filter" it comes back with clean drinking water filters. Got'ta include the "vacuum" term or add on "dust" or something of the sort. Julez did a bang up job on this project. But as you say a lot of his bits and pieces are Europe only or hard to find. But the ideas he's given us have lots of other options that are easier to find over here.
Feb 02, 2016, 02:11 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Yep, the aqua jumbo is just so nice because the fittings are already there. Other than that, most people take ordinary buckets:

https://www.google.de/search?q=vacuu..._AUIBigA&dpr=1
Feb 03, 2016, 01:03 PM
exactly the AJ is pretty much made for the job , cost a fortune to ship it here
thanks Barry for the ideas I did search and see some variants , I will most likely use the bucket I scored in Home hdwre yesterday , I need to find a solid lid for it though most are too flimsy to mount the piping infrastructure right ...thinking of using that 2" central vac tubing it is smooth thin walled easy to work with ( to get to the WF from the source ) then a variation of Julez internals
cheers Barry
May 01, 2016, 11:39 PM

it works .....but fine tuning needed

Julez et all
my dust collector is complete and working however I need to get a few kinks out ...
I am using a Ridgid shop vac that is quite powerful it has 2.5" hose
I used 2" OD thin wall central vac piping it pulls off my buffing wheels then into a Clearvue mini CV06 cyclone after that into a modded 5 gal /20 L bucket there I used the graduated elbows as you did ....up to a 3" 45 that discharges as per yours on the bucket side , I put a small window in the bucket to observe , lots of water splashing around but I think it could be worse , there seems to be a 'dampish ' slightly moist feel to the hose that enters the vac
and the filter bag does feel the same but not wet .
I would like to try some kind of wetting agent / surfactant that will help to make the water more efficient although that may induce more splashing in the process ??
a member suggested fabric softener , don't really want to use vinegar as the fumes will get into the blower motor = corrosion , any thoughts ?
I wonder if I put an internal mesh screen in the middle of the bucket around the piping ??
incidentally the cyclone is pulling out a lot of the black crap from the metal polishing and the fibers that are given off the wheel
thanks again for your ideas
Barry
May 02, 2016, 07:34 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Hi Barry,

one important thing is that the water level is not too high. I have only 2-3cm above the part of the inlet pipe which is lowest and parallel to the bottom. This way, not too much water mixes into the air stream, and I have a kind of continous flow instead of heavy swell.

I also use 1ml tenside per filling, but I'm not sure if it has a great effect.
Can you upload images of your setup?