Jul 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Horten 229 EDF <50"

Hi all,

have been lurking in the shadows for a few days while researching this.

Does anyone now of or have pointers to a Horten 229 Ducted fan kit with less than 50" WS? Alternatively a good set of traditional type plans for same

Ive seen the 1:8 kits and while looking awesome at are out of my budget (considering the techy bits are additional) and ability to transport something that large

read through then entire thread at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791900 only to find it went nowhere.

http://www.nurfluegel-modelltechnik.de/ seems a good place for info. Am so tempted to say size me damned and go for the 1:10 Horten IX

from what i can determine 1:12 is probably the smallest foe effective EDF before switching to external rear props or similar?

Am after plans/kit for a balsa/traditional build as opposed to foam etc.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
Just call me crash for short
Sense you mentioned the IX, here is a set of plans for an 84" (says 1/8 scale) - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1736

Don't know how good or complete they are, haven't really looked at them, just know there there, and you can't beat the price. (free download) Sorry i can't be of more help, Just haven't gone how wild with Hortens (yet??)

Mark
Jul 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
You know nothing....
Try a search on Chris Golds.I think he did one at about 60" You could probably have it reduced to the size you're after.
Stuart
Jul 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
Thread OP
thanks fellas.

maybe i can scale down the larger ones?

does anyone know much about the Horten in the 5th post here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1563191

the plane in the video is a nice size.
Jul 26, 2012, 05:43 AM
You know nothing....
In my humble opinion Uwe's is one of the best.As far as I know he's the only guy to get an edf IX to fly without duct extensions.I have no idea if he has published plans,try a pm to him.
Regards Stuart
Jul 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
According to Uwe (in conversations) A 1meter is likely the smallest size that is workable for an IX. Mr Reynolds has genuine issues :-)
I agree entirely..Uwes' is arguably the best or at worst 2nd best (Alfons':-) Flying! IX to date.
Not forgetting that Uwe is clearly a v good pilot :-)
I don't believe he has published plans and he is on to other things now that he has 'solved' his IX flight issues.

'Bales' Plan is a complete screw up, Don't waste your paper printing it.
Golds' 'sorta scale' IX works.. barely ..and only to 50/60 kph after that it has the typical 'fall out of the sky like a shot Duck symptom' just like 98% of the rest of IX models.
Even the larger Kit 1/8 ones .. depend.. on suppository thrust tubes to tame them.
But even so they fly much more like a B17 than the state of the art fighter plane they were intended as. Barely worth the candle imho
Tough road you are contemplating..very few have travelled it with genuine success.
Got to witness the 'famed' Dutch team Turbine powered IX fly a few years back.. before it was 'retired'
. Sad was/is my honest reaction/opinion. Magnificent Model/ effort, Surprisingly poor flier though. Another dead end imo.

Seriously?
Download the proven Ho VII plans (free on the net) and you will have a Very good flying scale Horten (out of foam, albeit prop driven :-) and with a reasonably simple / straightforward build effort.
Add all the 'scale' you desire to it.. if that's what blows yer jets..
Last edited by Bare; Jul 26, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Jul 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
space1

ww11

this ww11 copey flys great 46''in wing 64mm fan you need to add tail fin's CG 40% from nose
Jul 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by space 1
this ww11 copey flys great 46''in wing 64mm fan you need to add tail fin's CG 40% from nose
Nice models. Why are tails needed? other than yaw control?

might look into it.

i also started looking ad a ducted forward swept wing...but that's another story
Jul 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddoo
Nice models. Why are tails needed? other than yaw control?

might look into it.

i also started looking ad a ducted forward swept wing...but that's another story
Have a look through the HoX Volksjager thread on here.Not an easy one to model,though Herks work on drag rudders has got me thinking it might it might be possible one day.
Stuart
Jul 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
As counterpoint.... the famous Sky Ray is the logical development on the Horten design..
believe it or not :-) Lotsa "Fine" flying models of that are available.
Jul 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
I think the volksjager will only be possible with gyro coupled drag rudders. I haven't forgotten about it, just been sorting through a lot of stuff *read life*
Jul 31, 2012, 07:42 AM
You know nothing....
Hi Robby,as I said above,one to revisit in the future.Definitely one of the best looking designs to come out of that period of history
Regards Stuart
Aug 13, 2012, 10:00 PM

Arf foam horten 229

Read my blog getting ready to release a ARF foam horten 229, you can also email me with any questions at [email protected]

Thanks
Jaysin
Aug 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
Check out my blog, new ARF FOAM HORTEN 229 coming soon
Aug 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
a wing is enough
Hi,

Steffen made a new video of my Ho IX, the flight was at last saturday:

Video zoom and cut is much better than my flying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AJGSnAeHmdE

Regards,

Uwe.