Jul 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Noob question on Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Slipper Clutch

After cleaning and lubricating my Rustlers transmission, I was baffled as to how the slipper clutch worked. By the looks of it, its just dependant on a few pads that rub against a metal plate and the friction of the pads cause the spur gear to rotate. It may just me being a noob and not correctly putting everything togeth but this doesn't sound like a very good way to power the wheels efficiently.

Another question, is this just me not tightning the slipper clutch correctly because sometimes when the car is suspended the motor will run but the wheels won't. Like you could here the motor running but the wheels simply won't turn. But when placed on the ground it runs, this worries me because it would require some power to run. Like the yolks would turn freely when the motor is running, like I could turn them when the motor is running when it should be moving instead of just hanging there dead.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2012, 11:17 PM
Mother warned you about me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYISPY
After cleaning and lubricating my Rustlers transmission, I was baffled as to how the slipper clutch worked. By the looks of it, its just dependant on a few pads that rub against a metal plate and the friction of the pads cause the spur gear to rotate. It may just me being a noob and not correctly putting everything togeth but this doesn't sound like a very good way to power the wheels efficiently.

Another question, is this just me not tightning the slipper clutch correctly because sometimes when the car is suspended the motor will run but the wheels won't. Like you could here the motor running but the wheels simply won't turn. But when placed on the ground it runs, this worries me because it would require some power to run. Like the yolks would turn freely when the motor is running, like I could turn them when the motor is running when it should be moving instead of just hanging there dead.
The slipper does it's job under most power if used in a responsible manner. Slipper should be adjusted between 1/4 turn out from full tight to 1/4 plus 1/8 turn out from full tight. Hope this helps.
Jul 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
The slipper should never be loose enough that you can hear it slipping with the wheels off the ground, but the optimal setting will depend on the surface you're running on and the type of driving you do. For racing, you want to set it so that it only slips for a couple feet on a high traction section of the track. I know that on almost all tracks that will be way than 1/4 turn out from fully locked though.
Jul 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
that is indeed how the slipper works. Its job is to keep the motor from being overstressed, as well as the drivetrain. you want to make sure that it is properly adjusted, or you could start breaking things (I went through 2 differentials on my MERV and I had it shimmed, and I couldn't figure out why until I realized my slipper was set fully tight, putting way to much stress on the differential. When it is properly adjusted, like wparsons is saying, it should slip for a couple feet, and it will make a squeeling noise. just play around with it and you should get it.
Jul 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
The slipper should never be loose enough that you can hear it slipping with the wheels off the ground, but the optimal setting will depend on the surface you're running on and the type of driving you do. For racing, you want to set it so that it only slips for a couple feet on a high traction section of the track. I know that on almost all tracks that will be way than 1/4 turn out from fully locked though.
Your incorrect my friend. It's listed in the manual to be set at 1/2 turn out from tight, all the way up to 1/4 turn out. I left mine at 1/4 turn, and had zero issues. The slipper should slip on high traction for roughly 4 to 6 feet.
Jul 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
If you know how a man car clutch works its pretty much the same principal
Jul 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy1
Your incorrect my friend. It's listed in the manual to be set at 1/2 turn out from tight, all the way up to 1/4 turn out. I left mine at 1/4 turn, and had zero issues. The slipper should slip on high traction for roughly 4 to 6 feet.
You can't say I'm incorrect when I said that it depends on surface and you have no idea what surface anyone is running on... 1/4 to 1/2 turn might be right on pavement, but on a a dirt track it's going to be much further out. If I set my slipper for a really slick day at the local track it runs great on the track, but will slip constantly on grass at anything above 1/2 throttle.

I've been racing stadium trucks since before there were slipper clutches, so I've got a ton of experience setting them up.
Jul 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
You can't say I'm incorrect when I said that it depends on surface and you have no idea what surface anyone is running on... 1/4 to 1/2 turn might be right on pavement, but on a a dirt track it's going to be much further out. If I set my slipper for a really slick day at the local track it runs great on the track, but will slip constantly on grass at anything above 1/2 throttle.

I've been racing stadium trucks since before there were slipper clutches, so I've got a ton of experience setting them up.
Just going by what it says in the manual no need to bunch up your panties!
Jul 27, 2012, 06:08 AM
The manual will gives you a starting point. After that it is just a guide. Different gearing, different wheels, different weights, different terrains and different driving styles all affect how the slipper is set. Experience is only just another guide, but with knowing more facts the experienced person would advise on how to tune the slipper more accurately. Only the person controlling the rc can fine tune it.
Jul 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx
The manual will gives you a starting point. After that it is just a guide. Different gearing, different wheels, different weights, different terrains and different driving styles all affect how the slipper is set. Experience is only just another guide, but with knowing more facts the experienced person would advise on how to tune the slipper more accurately. Only the person controlling the rc can fine tune it.

So to summaries trial and error
Jul 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Exactly.
Jul 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchyt
So to summaries trial and error
If your a racer you'll be playing with the slipper at every race, and most probably each heat aswell. Basher, not so much. I left mine at 1/4 plus 1/8, and never had issues for the bashing I did with it.

Quick Reply