Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Build Log

Team Blacksheep Discovery Build Log !!Video UP!!

Link to Video Post so you don't have to scroll so much... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...08&postcount=4
FPV GEAR https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...79&postcount=3

So here it is, the TBS Discovery frame. Ordered the frame from FPVManuals.com along with there Tricopter Delrin Frame. Both arrived yesterday. Also ordered 8 DJI F450 arms and a full F450 frame from UAVProducts.com. Thats 4 black and 4 white arms. The rest of the parts I already had from other builds. So here goes:

Parts List:
TBS Discovery
F450 hardware and 4 arms
4X DJI MOTOR 2212
4X HobbyKing F30A esc's flashed with SimonK
FlSky 8 Channel Receiver
Naza Controller
Stock DJI 10" props( will replace with Graupner 10")
Graupner 10" Props(Balanced by me)

All of the parts that are included:
Top and bottom plate
Header pins for Receiver and what I think for there "core" system
hardware for attaching motor to arms
Red anodized stand-offs w/ hardware
2 cables I believe for connecting your FPV camera to the board
They do not include hardware to attach arms to plates
I wasn't sure so thats why I bought the full F450 kit

A pic of the contacts that are "baked" into the board

Top plate

Black and white arms and hardware from F450 kit

First I soldered the headers on for the receiver

Next I soldered on the esc's and battery terminal

Mount the Naza with 3M Foam tape

Solder the Naza power/led module

Next apply hot glue to + contacts

Plug in receiver cables from Naza to top plate

As you can see in the previous pics I've also attached the red anodized stand offs

Affix top plate with standoff hardware and F450 hardware

Attach motors

Attach GoPro and FPV camera

Finished!! (I realized I did not have more male to male servo leads so I had to attach the receiver directly to the Naza for now.)

Hopefully I will get some video tomorrow.

Last edited by acuralegendz; Aug 04, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Just remembered that I could turn one on its side and take up 3 channels, now its mounted at the rear, pretty cool back there!!

Also added my GPS

Last edited by acuralegendz; Jul 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Jul 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
What goes up...
Thread OP
FPV Gear
ImmersionRC 600mw TX
600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD D-WDR Color Board Camera with OSD Menu DNR
5.8 GHz "TrueWired" RHCP Windmill

Ground Station
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Uno Receiver
5.8 GHz "TrueWired" RHCP Fan
7" LCD
Vuzix 920 glasses inside Ski Goggles
3s 6000mah Turnigy Nano-Tech
HK Power Distribution Board

Maiden FPV, Boring(First ever FPV for me!!!)
Maiden FPV TBS Discovery (9 min 19 sec)
Last edited by acuralegendz; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Jul 25, 2012, 12:53 AM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Got some great flights in tonight at the flying field. I messed up and left my GoPro on upside down mode so I am rotating the videos now. This thing is SOLID, lets see if the video tells the same story. Video up soon...

TBS Discovery Naza First test (13 min 40 sec)

TBS Discovery Second flight (5 min 33 sec)

With Graupners(10in Unbalanced)
TBS Discovery Unbalanced 10in Graupners (2 min 50 sec)

Balanced Graupners
TBS Discovery Balanced 10in Graupners (4 min 5 sec)
Last edited by acuralegendz; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Jul 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
Not a bad little set up how does it handle compared to the normal Dji f450 frame?
Jul 25, 2012, 05:20 AM
Registered FPVer
I'm digging this frame!
Jul 25, 2012, 06:46 AM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Haven't flown it yet. We will see tonight!!
Jul 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Registered FPVer
The DJI frame I just sold would have been worth hanging onto to convert into this. Can't wait to see some post flight reviews.
Jul 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
Suspended Account
Ohhhh blue/white plastic arms. Those vibrate even more than red/white ones. DJI will never admit to it, of course.

Simonk esc + vibrating plastic arms =
DJI F450 Flame Wheel aka LameWheel vibrations FAIL (0 min 52 sec)
Jul 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
You could use a light battery or try the graupner or APC props. The added weight of the frame and FPV equipment is more likely to cause issues with the DJI stock props.
Jul 25, 2012, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus
you could use a light battery or try the graupner or apc props. The added weight of the frame and fpv equipment is more likely to cause issues with the dji stock props.
+1
Jul 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
Nice and clean build, please keep us updated
Jul 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Thanks got Trappys message. I will have graupners tomorrow thanks to KitCyclic. I'm also running 4s turnigy nano-tech 3000mah and 2200mah. I will not put any fpv gear on until I have "prop-er" props. I will also be trying keda 20-20ls to see if they make a difference. Thanks for your words of wisdom.
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
What goes up...
Thread OP
Since I have not flown it yet, I will give you my impressions on the build. It was fairly easy even without included instructions. If you know how to solder and tighten screws you should be good to go. I'm a fan of the amount of space available when using the DJI arms,as they add some height between the plates. All of the solder points are clearly marked and there are plenty of extra spots to add your gear. The front of the frame was well thought out for holding the GoPro and FPV camera, and I was able to put my memory foam dampening between the GoPro and frame. Another nice little thing they did which will probably be overlooked by most is cut out the spot at the end of the arm where it meets the frame. Its a small detail but I like being able to route some of the cables through there(surprised DJI didn't think of that). The spot where the FC goes is marked,and the Naza was taken into consideration here so it was easy to find the "middle". Being able to move the battery forward and backwards to compensate for the CG also is great feature in a FPV frame. I will be doing some light flying this evening LOS with the GoPro running and stock unbalanced DJI 10" props to see what the video looks like. Stay tuned Timecop!(BTW my GF loves the vibrating arms...)
Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
Registered FPVer
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuralegendz
(btw my gf loves the vibrating arms...)
lmao!

Quick Reply