Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors* - Page 12 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 02, 2012, 10:11 AM
Registered User

Discharge rate C


Does putting two batteries in parallel on the model reduce the problem of having low C rates?
I intend that if the load requires a lot of current, it is shared between the two batteries so they probably wont be over discharged past their C limit.
I found this link on Lipo batteries very interesting for newbie like me: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Last edited by archet; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Registered User
ukrsonic's Avatar
Where can I buy extra IMU for mini650 gimbal?

----

Ohh no.
Quote:
Note: customers need to return the YS-X6 to get the FPGA's firmware updated to SteadiCam's firmware, which can't be done through internet. Also, the ne firmware can just support Sbus radio receivers.
Last edited by ukrsonic; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrsonic
Where can I buy extra IMU for mini650 gimbal?

----

Ohh no.
From zerouav direct need to send all your curent electronics back to them for them to make some changes then they send it back. They told me so
Oct 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Registered User

question


Hello, I am on dji naza, GPS
I am very satisfied with the stabilite of the drone.
The legislation in France changed, to approve a drone, the latter owes be equiped with a limit of height (150m, and horizontal (100m.
Think you that ys-x6 can make it, via regulations specifics
sry for my bad English.
Thank you
Oct 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Registered User

What is the proper procedure to fly to way points?


I was able to create and upload way points (the basic 4 way point system) but when I try to fly to them I'm not having much luck. I thought I followed what was in the manual but I’m doing something wrong. Can someone post a step by step process that has worked for them?
Thanks
Robert
Oct 06, 2012, 06:39 AM
Registered User
holco's Avatar
Is there any support for a 300A shunt?
Oct 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
Registered User
koleos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553
From zerouav direct need to send all your curent electronics back to them for them to make some changes then they send it back. They told me so
Hello Andre, sorry I did not understand the quote ZeroUav firmwere for the FPGA, we have to send back to them all the electronics for this type of upgrade? Then explain to me what is FPGA. thanks
Koleos
Oct 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
I really dont know i spoke to them on skype and they told me if i want the extra imu i need to send them my electronics then they do something my be on the hardware i dont know , for it to be able to work with the extra imu.

But i think before they will do such things they only sell the complete frame with electronics as a package to promote the frame.
Oct 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Down under under
Andre is correct.
You send back your electronics.
Pay extra, the difference between the YS-X6 and ZERO-Steadi470.
About us$1k
They send you back a complete ZERO-Steadi470 system.

http://www.dragonrc.com.au/ZeroUAV-S.../zuav-s470.htm
http://www.dragonrc.com.au/ZeroUAV-Y...zuav-ysx6b.htm

With that preorder special I would argue for a lower price difference.

They will not sell just the extra IMU on it's own.
Oct 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
red1one's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus-rc
Hi all,
Testing my last octo with my client
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8uyJoJZrpg
Off topic question: XS-Y6, how well does it work with a larger size multirotors? I see you run a coaxial Octo. I have a Mikrokopter Octo XL. Looking for some feedback on how flight characteristics are with larger frames and much heavier lift capabilities? Much appreciated.
Oct 08, 2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one
Off topic question: XS-Y6, how well does it work with a larger size multirotors? I see you run a coaxial Octo. I have a Mikrokopter Octo XL. Looking for some feedback on how flight characteristics are with larger frames and much heavier lift capabilities? Much appreciated.
WE use it on a 950mm hex and here is a videoof it in very windy conditions. We are filming astructure so we are moving it not the wind
Windy Day (1 min 45 sec)

PS Youtube stabilized the video, but it didn't need much
Oct 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
RTF copters maker
maximus-rc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one
Off topic question: XS-Y6, how well does it work with a larger size multirotors? I see you run a coaxial Octo. I have a Mikrokopter Octo XL. Looking for some feedback on how flight characteristics are with larger frames and much heavier lift capabilities? Much appreciated.
Perfect with larger frames !!!
HEXA XL YS X6 MAXICOPTER (0 min 31 sec)
Oct 08, 2012, 03:52 PM
Registered User
red1one's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying squirrelk
WE use it on a 950mm hex and here is a videoof it in very windy conditions. We are filming astructure so we are moving it not the wind
http://youtu.be/OwBknRiPZpE
PS Youtube stabilized the video, but it didn't need much
Good old YouTube! Love the moving time stamp. Looks like some oscillations in movement even though in windy conditions. Probably can be adjusted in gains a bit. Not sure how much wind, but thanks for the feedback. Good luck.
Oct 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
Im will start my 1200mm motor to motor hexa vulcan multirotor frame in this week.
Hope it will surf me well!
Oct 08, 2012, 04:45 PM
Registered User
red1one's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553
Im will start my 1200mm motor to motor hexa vulcan multirotor frame in this week.
Hope it will surf me well!
That's what I'm looking at too except a Y6. And I'd like to stick an AG700 gimbal on it with an HFG controller and the YS-X6 electronics. Keep us abreast of your build. I really like the simplicity but beefiness of the vulcan look.
Oct 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one
Good old YouTube! Love the moving time stamp. Looks like some oscillations in movement even though in windy conditions. Probably can be adjusted in gains a bit. Not sure how much wind, but thanks for the feedback. Good luck.
Here's one Youtube didn't stab.
Windy Day 2 (1 min 45 sec)
Oct 08, 2012, 09:41 PM
Registered User
If I am have a slight oscillation issue on a big hex what values should I try and change first and by how much?
Oct 09, 2012, 01:27 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one
That's what I'm looking at too except a Y6. And I'd like to stick an AG700 gimbal on it with an HFG controller and the YS-X6 electronics. Keep us abreast of your build. I really like the simplicity but beefiness of the vulcan look.

What i like about the vulcan multirotorframes is that you can change the config like you can build from a quad up to a octa with the same centre plate.
Oct 09, 2012, 03:01 AM
Registered User
ukrsonic's Avatar
My conversation with Zero UAV about upgrade YS-X6 for stedi gimbal.

Quote:
Hello,
I would like upgrade my SY-X6 system for steady gimbal, I use mini650 frame.
I guess I will need one extra IMU and gimbal firmware?
What cost of the upgrade?
Quote:
I'm the sale of Zero UAV, thank you for paying attention to YS-X6 and Zero Steadi470.

As Steadi470 is an entire system and a ready to fly solution, so we sell it as a package and can't be single. For you old customers who has purchased YS-X6, you can just send back your MC and IMU, so we can upgrade it to the Steadi version, and we package it as an entire system, what you will receive is as below:

Send back IMU&MC and reset up entire system:
1 Airframe×1
2 Camera Gimbal×1
3 Motor×4
4 ECS×4
5 Propeller×4
6 Servo×27 Flight
7 Steadi470IMU

The upgraded MC and IMU can also be used as common flight controller.
The cost is USD1105.
Quote:
Thank you for you quick response Cherry.

I really don't need your ECILOP airframe with motors and etc. I already have it. All I want another IMU and new firmware for stedi gimbal.
That's not fair to offer your customers a complete system only for double more money.

You ask for upgrade $1105 ???
The complete stedi470 system cost $ 1,746.00 only.

I spent on YS-X6 $1,033.00
if I add $1105 for upgrade, I will get the stedi470 for $2,138.00 ????

If you want offer a complete systems to your old customers, you should offer upgrade for $750 or even less.

Sincerely,
Artem Arestov
I this case, I would better sale my YS-X6 system and buy a complete upgraded stedi470 copter ((
Oct 11, 2012, 05:49 AM
Registered User

Solar Storms


Recently there have been a few unexplained things happening with various systems (YS-X6, DJI and others), when in GPS position hold mode, which has resulted in a number of crashes.

MK have a web page dedicated to this subject http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/SunStorm and here is a small extract.

"The Kopter cannot hold i.e. with the function PositionHold the exact position or fly to a different point with the function ComingHome or execute different other GPS-based function without any error.

To see the GPS behavior during a solar storm the Kopter was placed in an open meadow and been not moved.
The received satellite data showed now no precise position. By the incorrectly transmitted data through the satellite the GPS on the Kopter thought, that the Kopter moves.
And that with ~10m/s in a radius of ~64mtr!"

So, my advice is to keep and eye on this http://www.n3kl.org/sun/images/noaa_kp_3d.gif? and when it is green, it should be safe to fly.

Rob
Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
RTF copters maker
maximus-rc's Avatar
Hi all
I don't know if it comes from same problem but my client had big crash today.
He was at 40m heigh on GPS HOLD and suddenly lost all power (no flip - just motors slow down) .
Battery was still 70% full after crash.
Any idea ?
Cheers
Maximus
Oct 11, 2012, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus-rc
Hi all
I don't know if it comes from same problem but my client had big crash today.
He was at 40m heigh on GPS HOLD and suddenly lost all power (no flip - just motors slow down) .
Battery was still 70% full after crash.
Any idea ?
Cheers
Maximus
Have a look at his data file and see what the data was showing just before the crash. If the Xekf Veld was higher than 20 then the white LED light must have been on. and if the GPS velx and y were also high then you know that there was a problem with the satellites. I am not sure if the altitude is determined off the GPS signal when it is in Position Hold mode, or from both the GPS and the barometer. I would think so. So have a look at that. If the Altitude dropped to 0 then maybe the system thought it had landed and started to cut off the motors.

It would be interesting to see what the results look like.

But this is all a bit of surmising, because, really, I don't have a clue.
Oct 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus-rc
Hi all
I don't know if it comes from same problem but my client had big crash today.
He was at 40m heigh on GPS HOLD and suddenly lost all power (no flip - just motors slow down) .
Battery was still 70% full after crash.
Any idea ?
Cheers
Maximus
Altitude should primarily be computed from the altimeter (air pressure sensor), so does not sound like a GPS problem to me.
What I would do first is to check that the radio fail-safe is properly programmed. Common default F/S settings (centered sticks and zero throttle) on many radios would result in something like the crash you just described.
Oct 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
This is a dumb question but what does Xekf Veld stand for?
Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
Altitude should primarily be computed from the altimeter (air pressure sensor)
It depends. On some sophisticated systems they can use both. Not sure how the YS-X6 does it. Hopefully ZeroUAV will tell us.
Oct 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto
This is a dumb question but what does Xekf Veld stand for?
Its the speed after Kalman Filtering. And don't ask me what Kalman Filtering is Wikipedia will give a better answer.
Oct 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
Its the speed after Kalman Filtering. And don't ask me what Kalman Filtering is Wikipedia will give a better answer.
It is a mathematical model that will calculate the most statistically correct attitude solution based on the input from the sensor.
And to tie this into the previous GPS altitude vs. altimeter theme, both should be used by the Kalman filter to calculate altitude. Altimeter for short term changes, and GPS to compensate for long term changes (like weather changing the air pressure during flight). At least that is the common approach, but since YS-X6 is closed source one can only guess.
Last edited by jab; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Oct 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Down under under
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus-rc
Hi all
I don't know if it comes from same problem but my client had big crash today.
He was at 40m heigh on GPS HOLD and suddenly lost all power (no flip - just motors slow down) .
Battery was still 70% full after crash.
Any idea ?
Cheers
Maximus
Would love to see the log.
Oct 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
Registered User
Reginak's Avatar
Ok, I changed my parameters values so many times since I got YS-X6 (the day it released) that I don't know the DEFAULT values anymore, can someone tell me how to reset to default values in android? And if it is not possible, can someone post a screenshot of the default values (gains etc)

Thanks!
Oct 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
ZeroUAV
ise2012's Avatar

default parameters


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginak
Ok, I changed my parameters values so many times since I got YS-X6 (the day it released) that I don't know the DEFAULT values anymore, can someone tell me how to reset to default values in android? And if it is not possible, can someone post a screenshot of the default values (gains etc)

Thanks!

hi , my friend .
open the gcs , click "parameter" , and you will find a button of "default " ,click it , the parameters will be to the default .
Oct 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Does the larger number in the PTZ make it more sensitive or less sensitive
Oct 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Down under under
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise2012
hi , my friend .
open the gcs , click "parameter" , and you will find a button of "default " ,click it , the parameters will be to the default .
Just remember to reset your
mag declination and
aircraft type
Oct 12, 2012, 07:05 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto
Does the larger number in the PTZ make it more sensitive or less sensitive
PTZ at the moment does not have any sensitivity settings. Only a absolute gain setting telling how much the servos should move to match the copter movements.
There is no ramp in/out or any kind of speed/sensitivity settings that can be used to compensate for different servos and gimbal gearing. So while the PTZ works, you won't get anything close to professional results.

In my opinion this it the only important feature that lacks in YS-X6, and a constant source of frustration for me at least.
Oct 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hef
ok... I'M DONE! I've put forth quite an effort trying to get this YS-X6 working and i'm finished.. I have the YS system on my XA650 V4... i have top of the line Spektrum DX8 with the AR8000 RX... went through the Install Guide Icon in the Iphone Software... can't stop those motors...

Can't stop the motors from spinning... I'm just plan confused... Shouldn't be this hard. I need someone's time (talking) or skyping whatever... before i sent the whole kit back. I'm that frustrated.
Yes I agree, for the money it cost its not so "plug and play" as it should be. The instruction manual is unreadable and it is quite difficult to get working out of the box. The GCS is not intuitive either. Then I find you have to go and hack the Ipad to make it work as well and that's a hell of a task in it self. Now Google earth plugin isn't working and then the system to have GCS connected via a router system is just very poor. Who the hell want to lug a router out into the field with them?? Whats so hard to just plug a data unit with USB into the lap top like most UAVs have? How si the GCS suppose to link up and you also have internet as well for Google Earth to work properly?

I have been using the DIY Arducopter for over a year and this is all community project which is not that easy, buts its very low cost and it seem a lot more advanced in many ways. I thought I would buy one of these so called out of the box systems to see how they compare. After this experience it seem no easier and actually probably more difficult in the end, but at 8 time the cost.

Its taken me 2 days so far to try set it up, but seems its locked me out for some reason so Ive yet to see if it fly's to expectations. Over all to date it seems very half done and way to expensive for that.
Oct 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK
Yes I agree, for the money it cost its not so "plug and play" as it should be. The instruction manual is unreadable and it is quite difficult to get working out of the box. The GCS is not intuitive either. Then I find you have to go and hack the Ipad to make it work as well and that's a hell of a task in it self. Now Google earth plugin isn't working and then the system to have GCS connected via a router system is just very poor. Who the hell want to lug a router out into the field with them?? Whats so hard to just plug a data unit with USB into the lap top like most UAVs have? How si the GCS suppose to link up and you also have internet as well for Google Earth to work properly?

I have been using the DIY Arducopter for over a year and this is all community project which is not that easy, buts its very low cost and it seem a lot more advanced in many ways. I thought I would buy one of these so called out of the box systems to see how they compare. After this experience it seem no easier and actually probably more difficult in the end, but at 8 time the cost.

Its taken me 2 days so far to try set it up, but seems its locked me out for some reason so Ive yet to see if it fly's to expectations. Over all to date it seems very half done and way to expensive for that.
Actually it is not difficult to set up. If you use the "install guide" on the android GCS, and just follow the instructions. Once you have it working you will be extremely happy.

Before you bought the system, surely you must have read about using a wifi router or having to use a hotspot on an android tablet or having to use a jail broken iphone/tablet!!

You mentioned that you loaded the 50 waypoint FW. Did you pay for that upgrade? Or did you download it from ZeroUAV website? That FW was meant for only certain serial numbers and I am sure yours was not one of them, so I am not sure what you can do to remove that. Maybe reinstall the original FW.

We are here to help you, but unless you tell us what your problem is, we cannot do that
Oct 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
Actually it is not difficult to set up. If you use the "install guide" on the android GCS, and just follow the instructions. Once you have it working you will be extremely happy.

Before you bought the system, surely you must have read about using a wifi router or having to use a hotspot on an android tablet or having to use a jail broken iphone/tablet!!

You mentioned that you loaded the 50 waypoint FW. Did you pay for that upgrade? Or did you download it from ZeroUAV website? That FW was meant for only certain serial numbers and I am sure yours was not one of them, so I am not sure what you can do to remove that. Maybe reinstall the original FW.

We are here to help you, but unless you tell us what your problem is, we cannot do that
I have it installed on my Android phone ok, but yes I didn't read it thoroughly that it needed a separate router. The Ipad was not a priority anyway as I was mostly going to use my Rx in any case. It was more a complaint about Apple than anything.

So any clues now how I can unlock and reinstall the FW? I had an email about 30min ago from ZeroUav and said they will send me the unlock on Monday for the 50wp.
Oct 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK
I have it installed on my Android phone ok, but yes I didn't read it thoroughly that it needed a separate router. The Ipad was not a priority anyway as I was mostly going to use my Rx in any case. It was more a complaint about Apple than anything.

So any clues now how I can unlock and reinstall the FW? I had an email about 30min ago from ZeroUav and said they will send me the unlock on Monday for the 50wp.
If you have the budget for a 50 waypoints upgrade, you should be able to afford a cheap Andoird phone or tablet. It has the best/most supported version of the ZeroUAV GCS anyways.

Edit. Never mind, I zoomed in on the Ipad deal and did not notice that you have already switched to a Android device..
Oct 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK
I have it installed on my Android phone ok, but yes I didn't read it thoroughly that it needed a separate router. The Ipad was not a priority anyway as I was mostly going to use my Rx in any case. It was more a complaint about Apple than anything.

So any clues now how I can unlock and reinstall the FW? I had an email about 30min ago from ZeroUav and said they will send me the unlock on Monday for the 50wp.
I am sure that once they have sent you the unlock, things will work out.
Oct 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
Down under under
Agree on, should being easier to setup at this price.

Just got a MultiWii and MegapirateNG setup while I wait for the repair round trip.

Same or easier than the YS setup due to available good documentation.
Tuning is ok too now that I have a nice solid frame to start with.



\__[0]__/
YS-X6 Know why it crashes before you fly. Feature requests.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1751160
Last edited by Mr_westie; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Oct 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
If you have the budget for a 50 waypoints upgrade, you should be able to afford a cheap Andoird phone or tablet. It has the best/most supported version of the ZeroUAV GCS anyways.

Edit. Never mind, I zoomed in on the Ipad deal and did not notice that you have already switched to a Android device..
I have an iPad 3 with iOS6 which there is no jail break for at this stage so it cant be set up on this iPad.(I won it so wasn't acquired by choice, i would prefer a Samsung any day)

In any case who would expect someone sells a top end/priced product that needs to use an hack on another product that can void its warranty? And also advertises this is a feature we can use and iPhone or iPad? Whats so hard to develop an App for it instead?

Again, I challenge anyone to sit down even a half smart person and see if they can set this up using the manual on a PC onto a mulitrotor copter in a day. Most of what I did was found tutorials on Ytube.

The product site states it can be used on all these device so I shouldn't have you people backing them up just to use this or that etc and making excuses for them . This is not a DIY AP kits or Opensource project. Its a high cost out of the box AP that should be plug and play and click click reasonably easy to set up item

This is all coming from people who know quite a bit already about MR copters. Don't go making excuses for this when a product at this price point should have much better documentation and and software supporting it than what Ive found so far. As it is the PC GCS software is at best still looks like it is at a development stage and the telemetry setup is a bit hodg podg having to lug a router around.

I hope at least, and I am confident it will, that the performance will redeem its self once I get the chance to fly it.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Oct 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Still flying
Ramnes's Avatar

What about Ardupilot Mega 2.5


Hi
For two years ago when i started with rc i was looking at the APM(diydrones.com) but figured out that OpenSource was a bit to risky. Today there is, and might have been for more than two years for all that i know, DJI Wokong and YS-X6 that is the top models everyone wants but is i bit to high priced. And it's not Open Source

When it comes to features, the APM has the following in version 2.5:
http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_K...lotmega-05.htm
And with this for that low price, you can fly in this modes:
Acro
Stabilize
Alt Hold
Simple
Auto
RTL
Guided
Position
Loiter
Circle
Follow Me!
Simple GeoFence
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_ModeSwitch

If you add this
3DR Radio Telemetry Kit - 433 Mhz
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_Radio...try-3dr433.htm
And this:
3DR GPS uBlox LEA-6
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_GPS_L...r-3drlea-6.htm

And install this free software:
Mission Planning and Analysis from here:
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Mission

I think we got ourselves an OpenSource FC with all the features and flight modes you can ever want. All this for about $403 + shipping.

The good thing is that this OpenSource project is not going to be shut down as it's to many users.

One more thing, u can use as many Waypoints that u want, you've allready payed for them.

PS. I have nothing to do with the APM project, i've just been reading about all this FC's for three days now, and i'm going for the APM.

J
Oct 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes

PS. I have nothing to do with the APM project, i've just been reading about all this FC's for three days now, and i'm going for the APM.

J
Good luck. That's why all my sales of the YS-X6 are to people who have been flying the various APM systems.

And strangely enough, they do not have a problem setting the YS-X6 system up.
Oct 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
Good luck. That's why all my sales of the YS-X6 are to people who have been flying the various APM systems.

And strangely enough, they do not have a problem setting the YS-X6 system up.
I beg to differ there robone. You keep saying its easy to set up but I'm now 3 days at it and still haven't got past connecting the wifi. It might be easy for you who are already well familiar with this system.

Just look at the both major Owner streams on the YS forums here and its full of many problems and problems in a lot of cases worse then the open source FC systems.

The APM has matured enormously in the last 12 months and it is actually easier to set up than this YS system now. The 2.7.4 has great stability, RTL and AP behavior. Its not perfect yet but its not far from being a great usable system. I have used a number of different FC systems and to date I find the best stabilizer platform and GCS is Openpilot. Its development is a bit slow and and AP is a way off yet.

The reason I bought the YS-X6 is for my friend who has an aerial photography business and he is not very tech savvy so I had assumed this off the shelf type of system would be much easier for him to own and maintain. As I have found now its not the case at all and so far the setup on YS is no better than any other DIY system setup. The GCS is very average and half baked and the user manual and documentations is appalling. I am just hopping when i do actually get to fly it that it will finally surprise me for the money that's been spent.

Also consider there are different systems and cost points for different customers needs as well. Not everyone has 3K to spend.

Just go take a look at the others yourself and then give us a fair unbiased point for point comparison if you think otherwise. Facts will always out perform rhetoric any day.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
Still flying
Ramnes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
Good luck. That's why all my sales of the YS-X6 are to people who have been flying the various APM systems.

And strangely enough, they do not have a problem setting the YS-X6 system up.
robone

Thats no good sales argument. You will earn a lot more saying, "i'll hope you come back one day, until then have a good flying experience"

But, that said. The YS-X6 was on top of my list all the time until i read SkippyTBK's reply and thought i had to look into the APM 2.5(ArduPilot Mega).

The YS-X6 was released this summer and the APM was released in January 2009, so it's al little bit more mature and has thousands of users all over the planet contributing to it on a regular basis.
I'm not saying that the YS-X6 is of a lower quality, all i try to say is that dont try to fool your coming customers, thats bad for your sale.

There are room for all of us out there no matter what FC we fly. This time the APM won over the YS-X6, but i have more copters in my business that needs FC's, but not right now. It might be a YS-Xx one day from your webshop.

Look to the right and you will see the past, look to the left and you will see the future and the possibilities ahead(unknown).

J
Oct 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
Registered User
fajar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK

Again, I challenge anyone to sit down even a half smart person and see if they can set this up using the manual on a PC onto a mulitrotor copter in a day. Most of what I did was found tutorials on Ytube.
I can understand the headache that people are getting when reading the YS-X6 manual. However, I already took on your challenge months ago before YS-X6 was officially launched for worldwide sales. My video was maybe the first video outside China to surface about the YS-X6. Even Zero tech people was surprised that I managed to setup a hexacopter with such a poor manual and did that completely without their assistance. See my thread here.

I dont speak chinese but how did I do that? Dont mean to brag but I'm just saying that sometimes you would get the problems sorted by staying calm and take time to figure out the solutions. Experience in multirotor helps me a lot, trial and error and some understanding in Asian language particularly in how words are constructed into sentences gives me big clue on how to perform the steps indicated in the manual.

The latest version of the manual has been greatly improved over the original version but as we all know it's not up to Queen's English standard. I have to say, though, my flying mates have been able to setup their YS-X6 multirotor properly by reading the manual thoroughly. We would occasionally scratch our heads but the manual is still readable to a large extent.
Last edited by fajar; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Registered User
Salocin's Avatar
As an early adopter of the YS-X6, I had a small amount of issues in translation, but good advice on having the multirotor set up for lower vibrations (motors and props) and sturdy frames helps a lot. I see there's many people putting the system onto very nasty frames, then complaining the system is costly and should work better. If you place a sub $1000 system onto a $20 frame, and use junk unbalanced props and motors, then no amount of pretty GUI or English manuals will make it fly better. I've seen some pretty nasty looking piles of flying rubbish flying, some sounding 2 stroke they are so far out of balance with props.... HEHEHE. The latest English manual is fine for setup, my 14 year old nephew set his quad up with very little assistance.
Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Down under under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salocin
having the multirotor set up for lower vibrations (motors and props) and sturdy frames helps a lot. I see there's many people putting the system onto very nasty frames, then complaining the system is costly and should work better.
Guilty
My excuse was I purchased as a kit and assumed it was ARTF.
It was, but in a narrow operating window.
learned a lot since then
Oct 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes
robone

Thats no good sales argument. You will earn a lot more saying, "i'll hope you come back one day, until then have a good flying experience"

But, that said. The YS-X6 was on top of my list all the time until i read SkippyTBK's reply and thought i had to look into the APM 2.5(ArduPilot Mega).

The YS-X6 was released this summer and the APM was released in January 2009, so it's al little bit more mature and has thousands of users all over the planet contributing to it on a regular basis.
I'm not saying that the YS-X6 is of a lower quality, all i try to say is that dont try to fool your coming customers, thats bad for your sale.

There are room for all of us out there no matter what FC we fly. This time the APM won over the YS-X6, but i have more copters in my business that needs FC's, but not right now. It might be a YS-Xx one day from your webshop.

Look to the right and you will see the past, look to the left and you will see the future and the possibilities ahead(unknown).

J
APM is not without it problems either, don't get me wrong there, but then your not paying over 3K for it either. I am very happy to be part of both the APM and the Openpilot community and to contribute my time and ideas and share others ideas to make improvements so we have a great low cost affordable AP system. But when I pay 3K for a product I wouldn't expect to be trawling for a whole weekend through a forum to find out how to make it work.

One member here on another post bragged how easy they set the YS-X6 up but they have a lot of experience with mulit rotor copters so I wouldn't expect anything less, but I am sure anyone who is a novice would find the YS-X6 instructions quit difficult and setup not that easy either. Just look at the number of post related to problems with the wifi and router setup lots of people face. I see hacks and added xbee modules to improve it or make it talk direct to the YS. This is not a DIY system but supposedly out of the box plug and play.

The the remark "good luck with APM" as you pointed out is inappropriate coming from a YS distributor. It was actually the good review that one of the moderators from our APM forum gave YSs flying capabilities which is what lead me to buy this YS-X6 for my friend. His review was my decider to choose it over DJI.

I and sure YS is on the way to be a good products but for the price, it needs much to be improved yet. I have yet to fly the YS so I will reserve my comments on a comparison of its capabilities with APM and Openpilot after then.
Last edited by SkippyTBK; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Registered User
Salocin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_westie
Guilty
My excuse was I purchased as a kit and assumed it was ARTF.
It was, but in a narrow operating window.
learned a lot since then
Yeah, early days my hexa was all but short of a flying rubbish tip. LOL. Now, I'm really careful to build near and balanced, and have few issues related to vibration. I guess for me its the vibration that makes it to my camera/s, if its jello'd, Its trash...
Oct 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
Andre6553's Avatar
I agree. The setup is a pain you know where. For the price we paid they can make it much more easy think the reason people want to buy the ysx6 is because they are fed up struggle with diy stuff then they come over to ysx6 then you have problems get it to communicate.

I also come from the APM side and i must admit the software is world class compare to ysx6.
I dont think it will ever be like ardupilots software because its not open source.
But as soon as you get over the setup stage and coms problems the stability off the ysx6 is on par with top the range products.
They can improve the gimbal controls allot!

What frustrate me about APM2 is all the tuning you have to do to get it stable and have a desent GPS hold. That is not the case with zerouav i still fly stock settings and have very good possition hold.

One good addvise i can give zerouav is getting your software and functions sorted and stop charging people for it. We have paid more than enough for the product.

Stop selling the wifi radios and upgrade all the radios to the date radio then you would have much less complaining customers without them have to spend $200 for it.

Dont develop software for apple products if people have to void the product warranty to have it work.

One more nice tip is let your software calculate the declination automatically like ardupilot software does. Its a pain if you travel and always must go and check whats the declination value off your location.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Drone Electronics 20305 Yesterday 12:48 AM
Discussion Zero UAV YS-X6 Owners Thread and Discussion fajar Multirotor Drone Electronics 2428 Mar 23, 2016 03:52 AM
New Product Test video of YS-X6 Autopilot system pzhang Multirotor Drone Talk 141 Jun 07, 2012 07:50 AM
Discussion Groupbuy for YS-X6 system fajar Australia 14 May 15, 2012 05:35 AM