Jul 14, 2019, 11:06 AM
65 years of RC flying

West Michigan Park Flyers New Mako Sea Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherCliff

Is the new foam as durable (think getting indented scratches when flying off of hard dry plant/grass stubble or crusty ridged refrozen snow) and strong as the previous material?

I never used the Depron version off either grass or crusty snow without protection of the bottom and sides of the floats. Mine always has Scotch Strong Transparent Duct Tape on the bottom and halfway up the sides. This allows it to survive asphalt, dirt, grass, pebble beaches, sand, etc. Adhesion is great, even in the water.

Another of my Makos was scratch built from MPF, which is considerably softer than Depron, and itís still going strong with such protection, flown by a friend, after five years of flying on land and water.

I am confident that the new material will be fine. Very glad to hear that production will resume.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Does ďyesĒ mean both the regular Mako and the XL?
Maybe. If we can get the company to run some 9mm we will do some testing on the XL as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
I never used the Depron version off either grass or crusty snow without protection of the bottom and sides of the floats. Mine always has Scotch Strong Transparent Duct Tape on the bottom and halfway up the sides. This allows it to survive asphalt, dirt, grass, pebble beaches, sand, etc. Adhesion is great, even in the water.

Another of my Makos was scratch built from MPF, which is considerably softer than Depron, and itís still going strong with such protection, flown by a friend, after five years of flying on land and water.

I am confident that the new material will be fine. Very glad to hear that production will resume.
All our Mako kits are supplied with teflon fiberglass adhesive strips to glue on the bottom of the floats. This allows the floats to hold up to even sand and gravel. Rocks and gravel will scuff and slightly dent the bottom of the floats however we have never cut thru the fiberglass strip.

Stay tuned!
Jul 14, 2019, 05:01 PM
65 years of RC flying
Yes, the strips for the bottom of the floats are very good. I used them on my kit-built Mako. However, they donít protect the sides, so for heavy duty work I also added the Scotch duct tape as mentioned. One example of a case where additional protection is almost essential is on snow with a thin skin of ice, which will cut right into Depron, MPF, DTF or other foam.

I sure hope you can get 9mm foam for the XL.
Sep 20, 2019, 03:30 AM
Will there be color schemes available? Right now it looks like "unpainted" is the only color scheme available. Thanks!

Is there a best way of doing some simple stripes? Tape? Spray paint? I can imagine tape coming off and paint not holding up well to grass takeoffs.
Dec 30, 2019, 02:22 AM
denvoyager
Hi, I have built a Mako, and from the plans, there is no C of G reference point. Can you tell me where it should be , please? Thanks, Den , Wales (P.S. Give my love to Ontario - I have family in Parry Sound!).
Dec 30, 2019, 02:33 AM
denvoyager
Where should the C of G be, please?
Dec 30, 2019, 04:52 AM
Keep it simple, Keep it light!
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvoyager
Where should the C of G be, please?
12.5 inches from tip of the floats.
Mar 25, 2020, 07:36 PM
I have a new kit on order. I am excited to build this cool and fun looking plane
I even got a flying buddy to order one as well

Quick Reply