Sep 04, 2017, 05:23 PM
Flight update. I repaired the plane and then I worked on the Ailerons, and re-centered them and added reflex (droop) again, paying close attention to drooping them the same on both sides. I have the throttle programmed to be turned off with one of the switches, but while messing with flight modes, the plane took off across the work table and onto the floor. had to repair more and fix the rear of the fuselage and firewall. Glued it all up and went out to flying field today. Mako took off well and was easy to trim out this time. It did not experience any trim changes at different throttle levels! Got three good flights and started to enjoy it a lot more. It is not perfect yet, but getting there.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks,
George
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2017, 05:25 PM
I did not have a 6x4 prop, so I used a 6x5 prop. That thing is NOISY. Should I expect any other changes in flight characteristics?

Thanks,
George
Sep 04, 2017, 11:07 PM
65 years of RC flying
Not a flight characteristic, but the 6x5 will put more load on the motor, unless you throttle back a bit.
Sep 21, 2017, 05:38 PM
I played around with the CG, aileron droop and motor thrust and got my Mako XL flying pretty good now. It used to balloon up quite a bit when throttling down. It's still very pitch sensitive, but manageable. This plane is a blast to fly It won't do headstands yet, but sure does like to do donuts on the ground. I hope to fly it off the water this weekend.

mako xl 03 (3 min 42 sec)
Sep 21, 2017, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Looking good- Now to master the Nose stand - Can't wait to see video from the water flight
Barb
Sep 24, 2017, 04:58 PM
Here's a video of my Mako XL flying off the water. Kind of far away, but you can get the general idea. The plane is a lot of fun, lots of power and pretty acrobatic. Too bad it was our last float fly of the year

mako xl 03 (4 min 55 sec)
Jul 16, 2018, 10:03 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Where can I currently buy a standard Mako kit? Will WMPF still make them?
Jul 16, 2018, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
I would start with WMPF, http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Mako-Sea-Plane_p_27.html
Jul 16, 2018, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
Depron is almost impossible to find and the quality of the stuff we found is not that great.
We are trying a few different kinds of material and hope to have them back on the site soon.
Please send us a message on our site and we will let you know as soon as they are available.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Greg and Barb
Jul 16, 2018, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall
Here's a video of my Mako XL flying off the water. Kind of far away, but you can get the general idea. The plane is a lot of fun, lots of power and pretty acrobatic. Too bad it was our last float fly of the year

https://youtu.be/s6nrYoGsQsw
Nice video- looks like a great place to fly.
Jul 10, 2019, 04:11 PM
I tried to buy both a Mako and a Mako XL on wmparkflyers.com, but the site would not let me add them to the shopping cart. I tried several different browsers (Firefox, Chromium, IE) and several different OS's (3 different versions of Linux and Windows 7).

It would let me add glue to the cart just fine.

I'd gotten stoked about these from watching videos. Are you going to make and sell them again or not.

Thank you for your time.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff
I tried to buy both a Mako and a Mako XL on wmparkflyers.com, but the site would not let me add them to the shopping cart. I tried several different browsers (Firefox, Chromium, IE) and several different OS's (3 different versions of Linux and Windows 7).

It would let me add glue to the cart just fine.

I'd gotten stoked about these from watching videos. Are you going to make and sell them again or not.

Thank you for your time.
The answer to your question is YES !!!

WMPF is going to bring back the Mako! We have one in the air right now with the new foam and one being finished up. Land test is a go. Water test is next, not sure how much more water testing we need to do seeing we got drowned down in Galion last Saturday. But we do need to fly off water before the new release. It will be the same design and almost the same foam. This new foam is 6mm thick and as close to depron as we could find. And it is FLAT as a board!

So stay tuned ... testing should be finished this next week. As soon as our mad scientists are satisfied we will release them to the wild as well as for sale on the site!

I had forgotten how fun this airframe is to fly ... the sound of the mako is almost like a flash back!
Jul 10, 2019, 08:55 PM
Outlaw
great news on a great float plane!
Jul 13, 2019, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer
Glad to hear it.

Is the new foam as durable (think getting indented scratches when flying off of hard dry plant/grass stubble or crusty ridged refrozen snow) and strong as the previous material?
Jul 14, 2019, 10:52 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer

Does “yes” mean both the regular Mako and the XL?

Quick Reply