Nov 16, 2003, 06:43 PM
Thread OP

SlowStick w/Ailerons & Sym. Wing - VIDEO/PICS inside

For the longest time I have wanted to add ailerons to the Slowstick. I never really expected outstanding results, I just wanted to do it because it has never been done successfully. Atleast, I haven't seen it. I have seen threads where people have added the ailerons and kept the wing as is. I knew this wouldn't work well. I decided to make a fully symetrical wing from TWO Slowstick wings.
I folded two wings and epoxyed them to together, cut the ailerons apart (stock GWS location), joined the two wing halves together with packing tape and fiberglass rods for reinforcement. I hinged the ailerons using dubro small pin hinges. I also decided to operate the ailerons using one servo per side for simplicity. I used a futaba Y- extension. Hitec HS-55's were used for the job.
I added lots of wieght (not sure exactly how much) so I put on a GWS 400c motor geared 3.14:1, swinging a GWS 10x6 prop. For a battery I used an E-flite 9.6v 600mAh Ni-CD. Seems to work pretty decent.
Plane flies well. I need to lose some wieght of the excessive wires (what the hell it was just an experiment) and I think it will fly exceptional. Only thing I would change is moving the ailerons closer in towards the fuselage. They aren't in the path of the propwash, and due to this the roll rate is sluggish and low speeds. Once moving, the roll rate is somewhat brisk and gets the job done. Overall, I thought it worked out pretty well. I may build a new one with minimal weight and see how it works out. Check out the video link below. It's rather small and just shows you quickly how it flies. Sorry for the poor filming. I just grabbed someone and asked them to film.
Check out my main site as well - TRILORDY.COM for some JoeNall videos I've filmed the last few years and watch for an upcoming video of GWS and other electric mayhem.
If anyone wants more detailed information or has any questions you can send me an email direct at webmaster@trilordy.com
Click here for the video

to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2003, 07:38 PM
Fly 'til last piece stops

Good job

Hey USS...

That is a very interesting looking experiment you have going on there. Sure is fun to see what people are doing with their Slow Sticks and it's all great fun! Let us know how it goes after you make the other changes. Going to post any video?

Regards,

Shaun
Nov 16, 2003, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
There is a small video clip posted above. If and when I make the changes I will of course post video and pics either on here or on Trilordy.com.
Nov 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
That's cool!!

A slowstick don't look right with no dihedral though...

It looks like it has anhedral. If it does, your stick will be happier invereted than upright
Nov 16, 2003, 08:36 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire

Stock Slow Stick with ailerons

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Thank you for the nice pics and description. I may do it yet. Keep posting your results!

I definitely will do one with the stock wing. I saw a stock Slowstick with ailerons yesterday. Ron Van Putte had it at a funfly over in Pensacola. He had a couple of small servos out on the wing and a LOT of differential with almost no down aileron and a whole bunch of up and only a little dihedral. Ron is a retired aero engineer and had lots to say about drag and adverse yaw and that kind of stuff which made sense. What I know is, it flew super.

later,
Mel D>
Nov 16, 2003, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
cool
Nov 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
Neal
Hey fishkiller:

Ailerons look great! Just wondering if you had seen the thread recently where the guy added spoliers to his stock SS wing. They worked very well, as I'm sure do you're ailerons. He had a video or two of it and it was amazing how he could drop it out of the sky with the spoilers and still maintain control. Check it out if you get a chance. I believe it was in the parkflyers forum. Anyways, great mod!

Luhran
Nov 16, 2003, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
thanks, a fellow slowstick flyer told me about it and I saw the thread but I havent viewed the vid yet. Ill check it out.
Nov 17, 2003, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Nov 19, 2003, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
btw,im using a GWS 400c geared 3.14:1. Anyone ever use this setup on a Formosa? Im bored and contemplating it.

Quick Reply