Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
Real Ira is online now
Find More Posts by Real Ira
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Discussion

Decriminalize Drugs, Cut Drug Use In Half


Well surprise, surprise. It really works.....

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...rtugal-addicts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
dll932 is online now
Find More Posts by dll932
Really?
dll932's Avatar
No Surprise.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
logan5 is online now
Find More Posts by logan5
Registered User
Stop treating drugs as a crime and more as an addiction. You'll get better results, less crime, less people in jail and save a crap load of money being spent by the government.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
thunder1 is online now
Find More Posts by thunder1
Registered User
I agree the current approach isn't working. With the confiscation laws authorized during Reagan's tenure, police departments are so heavily reliant on auctioning contraband seized during drug busts, to include cash and homes, that many of their budgets would be affected severely by decriminalization. So don't expect it to happen any time soon.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91490480
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Real Ira is online now
Find More Posts by Real Ira
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
I agree the current approach isn't working. With the confiscation laws authorized during Reagan's tenure, police departments are so heavily reliant on auctioning contraband seized during drug busts, to include cash and homes, that many of their budgets would be affected severely by decriminalization. So don't expect it to happen any time soon.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91490480
Dear diary,

Today I agreed with thunder.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:13 AM
DLGjunkyard is offline
Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Registered User
DLGjunkyard's Avatar
I just recently watch a TV program [dont recall the name ] in reference to northern CA. pot growers.
I couldnt believe my ears when they spoke about guys having 20 plants at 5k a piece in their back yards. Moments later they talked about the crimes taking place and crops raided .

If it were at the very least legal to grow one plant per person I doubt that crime would exist.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
stone_axe is offline
Find More Posts by stone_axe
Omnipote
stone_axe's Avatar
When you consider that America imprisons more of its citizens than Russia and China combined and that half of the American prisoners are convicted of drug crimes you have to start questioning our current laws and policies.

It costs about $50,000 a year to imprison someone and about $5,000 a year to send them to college.

I'm not sure America is ready to change its path and abandon the war on drugs but I'm sure Mexico is ready to stop the cash flow to their drug lords.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
stone_axe is offline
Find More Posts by stone_axe
Omnipote
stone_axe's Avatar
And where is the Tea Party on this issue?

The legalization of drugs is a key component of the Libertarian platform.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
logan5 is online now
Find More Posts by logan5
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_axe View Post
And where is the Tea Party on this issue?

The legalization of drugs is a key component of the Libertarian platform.
The Tea Party seems to be more focused on tax issues ... this truely is a Libertarian issue ...Dems and Repubs are unfortunately in lockstep on this one, which just proves that regardless of what they say ... they don't actually support ALL of your rights and freedoms ... just the ones they like.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
bildo baggins is offline
Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Personal responsibility and accountability. If you do you pay
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Norman Adlam is offline
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
I'm interested to know what you guys would do to address the impact of more drug taking?

From what I can see, take drugs and keep it to yourself - fine, BUT it never seems to be like that! There's the addiction which no amount of money that you currently have seems to be enough - so the drive to take it from others, the (often) reduction in acceptable behaviour (driving, violence, failure to look after your responsibilities - like family, jobs etc).

Personally, as I suspect you can guess, I think drug taking and the dependency (including smoking, drinking!) is a loser occupation, and as I'm not a loser I don't do any - apart from a glass of wine once a week.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
logan5 is online now
Find More Posts by logan5
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
I'm interested to know what you guys would do to address the impact of more drug taking?

From what I can see, take drugs and keep it to yourself - fine, BUT it never seems to be like that! There's the addiction which no amount of money that you currently have seems to be enough - so the drive to take it from others, the (often) reduction in acceptable behaviour (driving, violence, failure to look after your responsibilities - like family, jobs etc).

Personally, as I suspect you can guess, I think drug taking and the dependency (including smoking, drinking!) is a loser occupation, and as I'm not a loser I don't do any - apart from a glass of wine once a week.
You would address it the same way you'd address any other addiction. It would simply no longer be criminalized.

Consumption would of course be controlled in the same manner as alcohol.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Jim Thomerson is offline
Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Registered User
Some years back, I had a conversation with an knowledgable person about defects in our justice system. He said that it would never be changed, because so many people make their living off it. I am afraid there is some truth in that. If we decriminalized drugs, a number of private prisons would go bankrupt, for example.

We didn't learn a thing from prohibition. Prohibition funded the rise of organized crime, nearly bankrupted the government from loss of liquor tax revenue, created a generation of scofflaws, and ruined the lives of a fair number of people with bad liquor.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
DLGjunkyard is offline
Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Registered User
DLGjunkyard's Avatar
I dont think pot is a gateway drug but I do know its much harder to conceal than much harder more harmful drugs . I think if pot was legal hard drug use would go down.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Norman Adlam is offline
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
You would address it the same way you'd address any other addiction. It would simply no longer be criminalized.

Consumption would of course be controlled in the same manner as alcohol.
But that doesn't address the (possible?) increase in addicts, who might be turning to illegal activities to pay for their addiction, as addicts (of any variety) have a tendency to do!

I was interested in if people thought that an increase in addict related crime would occur, and if it then was simply adequate to have the normal law enforcement actions handle it, or whether you guys perhaps thought that the current drug proscription was in itself lessening that particular area of crime - or not.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion MSNBC- Limbaugh Racist For Saying Obama Used Drugs Real Ira Life, The Universe, and Politics 51 Jul 17, 2012 10:16 PM
Discussion cut half of one receiver antenna ogt Hoverfly Technologies 2 Jul 14, 2012 03:27 AM
Discussion Using CNC router to cut curve wings top and bottom surface make halfs videorov Composites Fabrication 3 Apr 30, 2012 08:24 PM
Discussion Using CNC router table to cut out half of fuselage and wings videorov Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 9 Apr 04, 2012 08:18 PM
Discussion Decriminalization of drugs in Portugal ... logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 5 Oct 14, 2010 03:57 PM