This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Y6 Scorpion by Walkera

When I first saw pictures of this tricopter, I thought it would be far too fragile seeing that it has the inverted props. I figured it would be high maintenance, to say the least. I preferred the Ladybird because, at the time I thought it was just a better model that could take a beating and keep flying.

Well, now that I have flown both the Ladybird and the Y6, I have to say, I changed my mind. I have crashed the Y6 a good handful of times now, and sometimes quite hard as you will see in videos below. Not a scratch on it, not even a bent propeller. Some of these crashes would have caused arms to split on the Ladybird, for certain. The Y6, however, remains unscathed. I am short for words... This model is totally awesome. It's fast, it's agile, it's responsive and it almost seems unbreakable so far. Or maybe I've just been REALLY lucky.

I actually like this little aircraft so much that I decided to put together a small review of it. I am surprised to see so few people discussing this model. Perhaps my small review and my commentaries will bring more attention this model, which I believe is a better model than the Ladybird and all of its copied versions. Now bare with e and I will explain why I feel that way.

The first thing I noticed on this tricopter is the beefy arms. The carbon fiber arms are quite a bit bigger than the arms on the Ladybird, something that, I believe, is ill designed on the Ladybird. The arms split and break too easily on that small quad. The Y6 is super light, however, and the arms are super tough being so big and short so they's pretty much impossible to break. Or so they seem.

The Y6 sports carbon fiber landing skids. This means that when landing hard, the impact is absorbed by the skids as opposed to the motors hitting the ground on the Ladybird. The skids themselves also seem very sturdy. Now if you crash it inverted, surely the motors will get a hit, but no less than the Ladybird. So in that respect, both models are comparable, you would think. But no, not quite. This is because the Y 6 uses double propellers on each of the 3 arms so the propellers do not need to spin as fast to achieve flight and performance. Slower RPM on the props means less chances of damaging props, but moreover, it means the motors aren't working as hard, either, which I believe will, in terms, provide for longer motors life. These motors are brushed motors so if the operating RPM is less, the lifespan of the brushes is increased. It's simple math.

Here are two pictures of my Y6:

Note that for some reason, the RX on this model doesn't support fixed ID. Not sure why. Aside from that, it has all the same features as the Ladybird such as 3 or 6 axis that can be changed in flight using a toggle switch on the Devo radio, spare powered outlets which makes it easy to install LED lights and a gyro gain adjustment pot.

Flight time is a bit less than the Ladybird since it runs two more motors but I don't find the difference significant since I never fly my models for more than 4-5 minutes on a battery. I prefer to replace the battery as soon as I see a diminution in performance, and I always keep enough batteries on hand not to worry about flight times. So, to me, at least, slightly shorter flight time is a non issue. The stock battery I got with this model offers excellent performance so far.

This model is very stable, in fact quite a bit more stable than both the Ladybirds I have owned. It hovers on a dime hands off with no drift at all with very minimal trims. Many people reported having drift issues with the Ladybird, and I believe the firmware update for it helps with this issue but it costs pretty pennies to get the adapters required to do this update. No need for any of this with the Y6. It flies solid right out of the box.

Are you convinced, yet?

Alright, then. Here are some videos you might enjoy.

All the best and happy flying!
Chris

Walkera Y6 Scorpion (9 min 48 sec)

Walkera Y6 Scorpion, 3d, and Flying Through a Fire (6 min 29 sec)

Walkera Y6 Scorpion Outdoor flight and durability test (5 min 1 sec)

Walkera Y6 Scorpion night flight (3 min 26 sec)

Walkera Y6 Scorpion Mini Review and indoor flight (12 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Thread OP

Specs

Specifications:

1- On board telemetry functions
2- Main Rotor Dia. : 55.8mm
3- Standard transmitter: 2402D
4- Gyro: 6-Axis
5- Overall Length: 118mm
6- Optional transmitter: DEVO-6/7/8S/10/12S
7- Drive Motor: 0720RN
8- Overall Width: 111mm
9- All-up Weight: 50g( Battery included)
10- Battery: 3.7V 350mAh Li-Po
11- Receiver: RX2639H-D
12- Range: 30m
13- Height: 3cm

In the Box:

1- Y6 Scorpion
2- 1x Liop battery
3- Charger
4- CD
5- Spare set of propellers
6- Bind Plug
7- Plastic screwdriver
Last edited by bobepine; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Jul 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Here's one more video from today. No tricks no flips. Just sports flying in 6 axis mode. This is such an awesome little tricopter!

Walkera Y6, Scorpion Fast Outdoor Flight (6 min 11 sec)

Best,
Chris
Jul 19, 2012, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPriapism
Off topic, however, since I just got the devo 7 with this scorpion; anyone know if I'm able to bind my old Lama 2 to the devo 7?
Hi,

I really don't think it will bind with an old Lama. Devo TXs use a different protocol, I believe.

Best,
Chris
Jul 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris and thanks for the review! Your videos say it all. Keep up your awesome flying! Having a lot of fun with mine. Faster FFF than my mqx!
Jul 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Chris and thanks for the review! Your videos say it all. Keep up your awesome flying! Having a lot of fun with mine. Faster FFF than my mqx!
No worries, you're welcome. Very nice day, here, today. I think I'll have to take mine out for a spin soon.

Best,
Chris
Jul 21, 2012, 01:47 AM
Custom quad builder
I got mine today this little bird is a lot of fun as I think I like it more than my ladybird and it is very tough I would be hesitant in flying the ladybird the way I fly the scorpion it can carry my keychain cam with no problem I hope more people start flying the scorpion

Happy flying
Mike
Last edited by tech69x; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Oops
Jul 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x
I got mine today this little bird is a lot of fun as I think I like it more than my ladybird and it is very tough I would be hesitant in flying the ladybird the way I fly the scorpion it can carry my keychain cam with no problem I hope more people start flying the scorpion

Happy flying
Mike
Glad to hear you like it, Sir. You comments are consistent with my mini review. It is a tough little bugger, indeed. I crashed that thing like there's no tomorrow and I haven't even replaced a prop on it yet. I'm very impressed.

Best,
Chris
Jul 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
How do you feel about the motors after flight, Chris? Are they warmer than you're use to? Mine seem to get pretty warm after 4 mins of aggressive flight. Weird thing is, sometimes it gets that way, and other times not so bad. Do you think different C ratings on the batteries has something to do with it?
Jul 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
How do you feel about the motors after flight, Chris? Are they warmer than you're use to? Mine seem to get pretty warm after 4 mins of aggressive flight. Weird thing is, sometimes it gets that way, and other times not so bad. Do you think different C ratings on the batteries has something to do with it?
Mine also get warm a bit but not hot. So I think it's OK. Make sure you let them cool down completely before you fly again. I think higher C rating may, indeed, cause the motors to heat up more since its capable of more powerful throttle bursts. I fly with a variety of small batteries ranging from 240 to 400 mAh and I have not noticed a difference, but that's probably because I'm not paying attention to motors heat. So far, though, I prefer the stock battery for good performance. Seems the weight is appropriate, I get good performance and decent flight time.

Rainy here today.

Best,
Chris
Jul 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
God I like that thing, really smooth looking in flight.

Chris, how much does that canopy weigh? I'm wondering what it would look like, or even if it would fit on the 929...I don't know..*shrugs* might be cool looking.

Geebee came-up with the idea and provided a link to the canopy a while back and I've been curious to see if it will work. http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11167

-Pat
Last edited by RCCrashTestDummy; Jul 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Jul 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
I believe the canopy is too small to fit over the 929 board.

Best,
Chris
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Not 100% sure about the 929, but I own the mqx and the scorpion canopy will not fit on it.

About my warm motors... Been flying with different batteries to see if weight was the problem. Mine came with a 350 mah 25c "stock" one, then I bought two 400's at 20c. Not a significant weight difference, however I do not have a scale yet (in the mail). By hand, I noticed a slight weight increase and the motors do run warmer on 400 vs 350. I'm going to buy a genius battery at 240 mah and see if there is any change. So far my hypothesis is working out... Even slight added weight variations will cause enormous stress to the motors.

Another thing i was thinking about is maybe I just needed to break in the motors. With either battery, the temps have not felt as warm as I first got the craft. Has anyone experiences needing to "break in" brushed motors in regards to heat?

Happy flying!

VC
Jul 28, 2012, 04:45 AM
I got mine a few days ago and I really like it.
I noticed the the different heat also and i had a feeling it had to do with the amount of stress vs the amount of cooling. for example; pumping up and down rapidly on one spot vs FFF. during the first the motors get less cooling than during the second.
I haven't tried out my theory yet though.
Dec 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
Slow Flyer
Chris, where is a good place to buy the scorpion?

Quick Reply