Jul 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
Thread OP
Discussion

rcdirtbikeaction.com

I would like to introduce a website that I am making www.rcdirtbikeaction.com

It is under contruction so things will be changing around as I try to figure out what is best for the site. I have a LOT of work still to do, but I think the website is coming together. Please understand this is new to me and I have other obligations too. I debated when I should release this. Is it too soon in development to show off?

When I got interested in rc dirt bikes about 2 yrs ago I found this great community here at rcgroups. What I did NOT find was any webpages, facebook pages, or youtube channels that really devoted soley to the hobby. Since I found nothing showcasing this hobby, I was pretty disappointed, so I decided to try it myself! I think that with a little bit of effort, showcasing the hobby with a dedicated webpage might help the hobby grow.

For the last year Ive been trying to setup a triangle of support for the hobby: facebook, youtube, and website, where the http://www.youtube.com/user/RCDirtBikeActionand http://www.facebook.com/RCDirtBikeAction help support my primary goal - the website. For those of you that have joined or liked, THANK YOU. Now, Ive been holding onto the domain for over a year and finally about 3 months ago I got to work on the website, during my spare time late at night. (My 2 bikes have been broken since February without time to take care of them if that says anything. )

I want this website to cover every aspect of the hobby including: news, reviews, interviews, rumors, bikes, events, racing results, how-to's, tips, setup, blogs, multimedia. What you see on the site gives a good idea of how it will look. What I envision is a website that will showcase all of YOUR bikes in action, YOUR bike setups, but at this point Im not sure how it will be setup. All I know is I hope those of YOU that care about the hobby, will contribute or share. I will make every effort to give credit where credit is do. I do not want to just rip photos or tips from rcgroups members without explicit permission! Im making the website to support all of us, whether you want to get racing going in your area or if we rally together to get racing tires supported. I will try my best to help!

Note on advertising: Unfortunately, advertising will be part of the site, but I will try to make sure its relevant to our hobby! Im not sure how I will set it up, so just warning all viewers its coming. First of all, all costs have been out of my pocket, so its necessary just to pay off the bills. Secondly, I have some very cool ideas for utilizing any extra money generated from advertising to go into sponsoring races or promoting the hobby. These are long term, but thats the direction.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, OPINIONS, SUGGESTIONS...

Thank you,
John
email: jkm at rcdirtbikeaction.com
Last edited by JohnnyMc; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: update links
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
Nice!!!

-rskip
Jul 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
Closed Account
Good work, I know you've certainly put lots of effort in to the MX bikes over the last few years.

Maybe Chris N can put 'Unofficially official' tricks and tips for the VMX/MM up so they can't disappear to the archives like on RCG.

Thumbs up so far.
Jul 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
Thread OP
Thats the idea JB. I want a site where you can look up a bike and maybe pull up setup tips or setup sheets that people have been willing to share. Like maybe a grass setup for the arx is different than for dirt, so having each available. Something similar to like how a website like Team Associated works with its downloadable setup sheets for pro riders on different tracks. Im dreaming here, but at least Im going to try it!

I realize a lot of what is on the site now are things already seen or talked about here. I definately hope to make it a place to showcase cool looking bikes. Otherwise, its going to be my bikes everywhere on the site! hehe. I know there has to be something unique for the rcgroupers. I cant replace a site like this. That is why Im not including a forum on the site, but just post comments.

With that said, I think theres a lot of people interested in bikes that are doing searches and maybe not finding any websites they can stop and look at.
Jul 20, 2012, 01:30 AM
Jody
I like the look of the site. The header graphic gets it off to a good start! I actually had found it online already when I was searching bike stuff before you posted here.

I hope you can get your bikes fixed soon, but at the same time I hope you can keep periodically updating the site! If it is clear to people that you are open to guest posting, i.e., posts from other hobbyists, that might make your job a little easier.

I suggest that you think what the ground rules for different types of guest contributions will be. Will users be able to post and drop links to their sites such as a link to a personal facebook page, a link to Venom, a link to Duratrax, etc. Can a link to a hobby shop appear below a non-selling video? Example: If a shop employee contributes a video of a motorcycle race, can the video appear with a link below it to the shop or would such links not be permitted? Will links be allowed to people's general facebook pages that may not be motorcycle related?

There were various set up tips for the VMX 450 in the long VMX 450 thread here. You could get some good content to help you build out the site by curating tips from there and crediting the sources, with a link to the original rcgroups thread.
Jul 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
Thread OP
Hi RCTO,
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone can place a comment on a specific post thats been created. If its related to the subject I have no problems. I will setup a contact page so if someone is wanting to get a race going or had a race and want to share, they can contact me with info, and I'll post about it. I already have a menu setup for "events" and for things like racing announcements or race results. Believe me, if theres a race with rc dirt bikes, I want to know about it and share it.

You see, I consider racing something special because its not happening everywhere, like here in the US. Im very excited for 1:1 mx racing and love watching it. I think if that feeling can transfer into rc bikes, and people SEE it happening at the tracks, the hobby will earn a lot more respect over time and I hope grow a base of both racers and bashers. Thats just a personal feeling I have and I would like to help see it grow.

I know people are checking the site, I just wish I heard from some of you out there. Oh well.
Jul 21, 2012, 04:54 AM
Just checked out the site Johnny good to see someone with as much passion for these bikes as you have. Your track suits the Duratrx bike quite well some good berm blasting. When you get your E Gyro it should suit the VMX better.
I just love full size MX and SX watch it religiously, did you see Baggets passes last week. Unbelievable even if he did end taking a dirt sample. Have been invited to show off the bikes at my sons school on Monday, doing my bit, hope we can hook some young bikers.
Jul 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
Thread OP
Thanks!

As for the track...unfortunately, Im putting grass in the backyard so track is bye bye. No worries I will hit a local track 20 minutes away that ate up the vmx for snack.

Definately follow the racing this season and 250 class is once again the most entertaining. Bagget is crazy outdoors. I would like the website to look just like the 1:1 mx sites out there like dirtrider.com, vitalmx.com or racerxonline.com. Thats my inspiration anyways, so we'll see how it goes.

Good luck entertaining the kids. Too bad the dads couldnt show up, those are the ones to get hooked!
Jul 22, 2012, 02:31 AM
Good you've got a track nearby, life should be much easier with the E Gyro.
The 250 guys are insane Eli, Justin ,Blake , Ken I could go on. Good show. Bagget is definitely insane the passes he put on Barcia and Will Hahn were brilliant.
Hope the website goes well. Just need the kids to beg their dads. Apparently they've been watching it on U Tube so that's good.
Jul 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
I can do a write up or two for you, just tell me how to post it or email it to you to post?
Jul 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
NO PRESSURE NO DIAMONDS
The site is awesome so far, and has really given me some great info on these fantastic bikes... A readers rides section with pics of their rides and a full list of what they have in them would be sweet!!!
Jul 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
That's a good looking site. Love the header photo. It's one of my all time favorite rc bike photos.

Good luck with the site.
Jul 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-redrider
That's a good looking site. Love the header photo. It's one of my all time favorite rc bike photos.

Good luck with the site.
Thank you. Your bike looked awesome in the pic. When I was first trying to figure out what to do with the site, I ran across the full size image and was like wow, that is an amazing photo. I would like to try and showcase the whole photo because the way the background is out of focus but the dirt (cut off) along with the bike is in focus looks so cool. Not to mention the way the front wheel is turned gives it a dynamic bit of style, like there is a little ricky steering that rc bike. Good job to both you and Lito.

@rpedro - So did you finally get an rc dirt bike? I do hope to get setups and reader pics. Thanks for checking it out!
Jul 27, 2012, 05:08 AM
NO PRESSURE NO DIAMONDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc
@rpedro - So did you finally get an rc dirt bike? I do hope to get setups and reader pics. Thanks for checking it out!
Johnny,

I am now able and ready to purchase one, and am seriously considering the MM450, I decided to wait for it, once I had read it was coming out... are you getting one??? also, I am considering getting a clear body and do my own thing, was wondering on your progress on sticker kits, as well as handlebar pads, etc, etc...
thanks...
Last edited by rpedro; Jul 27, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Jul 27, 2012, 06:19 AM
Hey Johnny this is what I've found with the rear shock. Basically too quick a rebound ( spring not controlled effectively ) causes front flipping and inconsistent jumping and landing.  Too much pack can also cause a similar effect but not with the bike as it comes out of the box. With the standard shock you have a small volume of oil being forced through a two hole piston. Also it doesnt use the full amount of travel.  Yes you will improve things with heavier oil but. With a big bore, the shock has a massive amount of oil in comparison, also this large volume of oil is being forced through a six hole piston in comparison. More oil through more holes = better control of the rear end. Like using two extra standard shocks. This also allows you to use a thicker oil to control the shaft speed without affecting its ability to take the hard sharp hits.  ( find a sweet compromise ) It also has more travel  ( limit the travel so the tyre doesn't rub ) so this gives the bike even better bump and jump handling ability. In my opinion it handles everything way better and with more predictability. I can hit some big bumps on full brakes and not look like front flipping where as  with the standard shock I'd be cartwheeling.  You  just need to find the correct oil weight that is the best for conditions ( ie slower speed or really sharp edged bumps, lighter oil to higher speeds and more rolling bumps and relatively smoother tracks, heavier oil ). In Chris's testing he tried a one hole piston to try and slow up the shaft speed this wouldn't have the ability to cope with hard hits well as the oil is being forced through one single hole causing too much packing of the rear shock. Try some things and see what suits you.
Sorry about earlier Johnny been a bit touchy lately, think its the wait for the E Gyro.
Last edited by chktm; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply