Jul 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Build Log

98" DH-86 Dragon Express

I received the plans from Ivan Pettygrew last week and now I am just waiting for Balsa, ply and paulownia wood to arrive. It looks like a fun project and I love the DH family of bi-planes.

It looks to be a 7 lb. model and really light wing loading. I am looking at using some brushless 450 size motors.

Here is a picture of Ivan's model:

to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2012, 05:00 PM
Airliner Builder
Looking forward to another four motor beast! Subscribed!

Ethan
Jul 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
I totally agree with Ethan on that. . .I wonder how much larger Dehavilland made the Dh-86 than its 2 engine counterpart? This will be another great build from Dave!

Subbed-up big time!
Jul 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
Okay Dave, I've found the thread and look forward to following the build
Jul 25, 2012, 02:31 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Have fun !!

Greets ,

Bart
Jul 25, 2012, 02:35 AM
OH YA!
I've got the plans as well. The Express is somewhere in the ever changing que
Rick
Jul 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Great to have a thread about the Express - I'm subscribed,

Mike
Jul 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Student of Ivan
Watching the build here as well. Should be fun!

John
Jul 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Count me in too.
Robert
Jul 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R
Count me in too.
Robert
Robert & All,

Thanks for the support. This is going to be a challenge. The drawings are not real clear to me just yet but I am just going to dive in.

Right now all I have to show for it is the plans and a pile of balsa. Sort of guessed at how much of each thickness to get. I am still waiting for the paulownia mill to send a new stack of wood. Turns out my first order that should have been here a week ago was destroyed in a train derailment!

Dave

Truth is stranger than fiction...never thought I would loose a UPS shipment in a train wreck:

Last edited by payne9999; Jul 25, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
Student of Ivan
A train derailment? That has got to be a first... Look at it this way, you're getting the crashing part out of the way early!

John
Jul 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Transportation accident occurred./ All merchandise discarded. UPS will notify sender with the details of the damage
WOW that's got to be a first. I've been drooling over a guys giant scale model that he has for sale; and can't help but wondering. What if something on the train was something that was a private sale. Something that is a one of a kind; like this guys giant scale airplane he is selling; or a restored car. Stuff that isn't just go to the shelf and get another one.
Rickl
Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Balsa&Tissue
So, Ivan sent me some photos of the nacelle and undercarriage for the Express and it is super simple. Photos are so, so helpful. Now it makes sense.

Dave

Jul 27, 2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999
So, Ivan sent me some photos of the nacelle and undercarriage for the Express and it is super simple.
Indeed. Your only challenge now is to choose some wire which has enough 'give' to make use of that rather short torque rod section but strong enough to keep its shape. The Express is really easy to land smoothly so, unless your runway is particularly rough, my advice would be to avoid the tendency to play safe and end up with a u/c that is on the stiff side (like I did with the Rapide!).

I suppose another way of looking at it is to ask the question "Is this wire strong enough to break those 1/4sq beams?" If so, perhaps it's too heavy.

Trevor
Jul 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Balsa&Tissue
So, new batch of wood to replace the train wreck package is due Wednesday. I have been spending time gathering reference photos but there is very little on the Express. I either go with Ivan's red and silver color scheme or try to improvise something from very fragmented data that is all black and white.

Also, some of the photo reference for the express is of the version with three vertical stabs.

Pretty boring but have been spending a lot of time tracing parts for templates.

Quick Reply