Aug 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62
Instead of CA, use blue loctite on the ez connectors.

I did measured the cut out for the wing to the back of the tail, with the epp peeled back for a truer measurment, and they both are the same distance.
Refer to page 19. CA locks them on(no movement) there but can be cracked off it needed. They used the washers which is probably a better idea to spin more freely. Just a habit with me cause I usually drop them and lose them.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/assets/im...DGE-Manual.pdf
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One.
I bought 10 bags of easy connects a few years ago after building a 42" Slick that included them. I've used them on just about every plane I've built since. Love them!

As for the rest.. I'm here, I'm watching and I'm reading. If something really stands out like it could be the cause, I'll check mine or test it and let you know what happens.
Me to. Much better than the ones with the plastic hold on do-dad.
Aug 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Refer to page 19. CA locks them on(no movement) there but can be cracked off it needed. They used the washers which is probably a better idea to spin more freely. Just a habit with me cause I usually drop them and lose them.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/assets/im...DGE-Manual.pdf
Am from the old school and metal to metal I always used loctite.
Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62
Am from the old school and metal to metal I always used loctite.
You still running on 72? hehe, just kidding.
Aug 16, 2012, 11:07 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Quote:
Some more testing with mine this morning. I haven't really noticed the right roll under power because I do more slow stuff or only WOT verticals.

Put on a 12x6 this morning, liked the way it flew, no heavy TR issues, plenty of power, actually hovered nicely. Then did the straight and level WOT. Woaa!! plenty of hard right roll. Yikes!

Put on a 10x5 and tried. Useless, no power, not even to sport fly it.

Went back to the 11x5.5 and tried the WOT straight and level. No roll in mine, I did it twice. Plenty of power.

What has been bugging me is if I'm coasting along and bring it up into a quick hover, it would want to dive left. I do have about 50* elevator travel, but it;s not flexing. I did several only using half elevator, same thing. Landed, took off the SFG's, no more diving to the left.

Only other thing I noticed in the few flights I have on it is when going from pre stall to post stall in harrier form, it gets real rocky right at that moment. But once post stall, rock solid harrier, upright and inverted.

I think I just have to get use to that short tail moment. But I'm seeing good things.

Some pics of my trims..
So you see how scary it is to fly this thing with that hard right roll.....it is a yikes moment. I really dont like not being able to go above 50% throttle or i get a unstable plane. Interesting your roll was solved with a prop change. But others using the same prop roll still.
Aug 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Some more testing with mine this morning. I haven't really noticed the right roll under power because I do more slow stuff or only WOT verticals.

Put on a 12x6 this morning, liked the way it flew, no heavy TR issues, plenty of power, actually hovered nicely. Then did the straight and level WOT. Woaa!! plenty of hard right roll. Yikes!

Put on a 10x5 and tried. Useless, no power, not even to sport fly it.

Went back to the 11x5.5 and tried the WOT straight and level. No roll in mine, I did it twice. Plenty of power.

Some pics of my trims..
OK, so this is interesting. Here's a theory to test:

The roll tendency is not from the motor's torque (that would want to roll the plane left-opposite direction of the prop), but from the prop wash. If you've ever looked at the prop wash coming from a boat, you'll see it's a vortex that rolls in the same direction as the prop rotation. Same principle with the plane - the prop wash coming from a counter clockwise rotating prop will create a counter clockwise rotating prop wash, which will want to roll the plane right as it hits the surfaces of the plane. I don't think RobJ or Chopper see the roll tendency with the 11x5.5 because they don't have as big a flat surface for the prop wash to push against as folks with wheel pants do. I think RobJ experienced his problem with the 12x6 because he's got a larger column of prop wash that's hitting more of the wheels, wing, and tail. So, to fix it, you would either need to reduce the surfaces getting hit by the prop wash (like the wheel pants) or reduce the size of your prop so the wash isn't as large.

My guess at the solution if anyone with the problem cares to test it.
Aug 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
you still running on 72? Hehe, just kidding.
27!
Aug 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
OK, so this is interesting. Here's a theory to test:

The roll tendency is not from the motor's torque (that would want to roll the plane left-opposite direction of the prop), but from the prop wash. If you've ever looked at the prop wash coming from a boat, you'll see it's a vortex that rolls in the same direction as the prop rotation. Same principle with the plane - the prop wash coming from a counter clockwise rotating prop will create a counter clockwise rotating prop wash, which will want to roll the plane right as it hits the surfaces of the plane. I don't think RobJ or Chopper see the roll tendency with the 11x5.5 because they don't have as big a flat surface for the prop wash to push against as folks with wheel pants do. I think RobJ experienced his problem with the 12x6 because he's got a larger column of prop wash that's hitting more of the wheels, wing, and tail. So, to fix it, you would either need to reduce the surfaces getting hit by the prop wash (like the wheel pants) or reduce the size of your prop so the wash isn't as large.

My guess at the solution if anyone with the problem cares to test it.
I'll install a 12x6 and WOT (for a few seconds on the 72g) to test your theory. Thereafter, I'll run both props (11x.5.5 and 16x6) with the wheel pants and skirts.
Aug 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Good on ya to do this for the group. Most folks wouldn't want to mess with a plane that's flying right. You might want to use a a 12x6 instead of a 16x6.
Aug 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277
Good on ya to do this for the group. Most folks wouldn't want to mess with a plane that's flying right. You might want to use a a 12x6 instead of a 16x6.
Go big or go home
Aug 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
I have wheel pants and skirts, no roll with a 12x6 or 11x5.5. Too bad you guys are having so much trouble. I notice in nickelbn1's photos his ailerons are right up against the SFG's. If you haven't already I would put a spacer in there so they don't bind.
Aug 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDO999
I have wheel pants and skirts, no roll with a 12x6 or 11x5.5.
Hmmm...what size motor are you running?
Aug 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Motrolfly 2810-1000.
Aug 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
For folks with no right roll problems, did you need any aileron trim at all? 1 click? 2 clicks?
Aug 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDO999
Motrolfly 2810-1000.
That's a strong motor. I assume you did WOT runs and didn't see any problems?

Quick Reply