Oct 01, 2012, 06:34 PM
"Get off the runway!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank
I finished mine yesterday and couldn't determine much if any twist. My chop sticks didn't line up perfect but within a half inch and that could have been from not being able to set them both exactly the same way on each wingtip. There is a slight visual curve up in one wingtip leading edge but it is so slight I hate to mess with it until I fly it as I might make it worse the other way. I will be interested to see how it flys Wednesday Am (next opp with no wind) but I am pretty confident mine is OK.???
You won't know until you fly it. Good luck.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
PA team pilot
i got both my edges built and the wings straight, and after a few days of making sure the wing stayed straight, it required no further twisting to keep it there.. no regular twisting required IMO.. just twisted it a bit further than necessary tnen back to the right spot.. I think it'll stay there for good.. I don't think about it anymore and they fly perfect and true and always roll either way and YES YOU CAN do high speed passes (if you really want to - I don't see the point in an aerobatics plane anyway.. I save that for my jets that do it above 200kmh)

This is just like any other plane.. you CAN stuff it up if you don't follow common sense and everything is not checked for straightness and trueness from multiple refence points and multiple points of view, and if care is not taken in setting up the linkages with correct geometry, Bind-free / slop-free movement, good shaped z-bends or carefully constructed ezi-connectors.

IMO there being 'Perfect' ones and "faulty" ones is a myth, just slightly different amounts of twist in the wing which souldn't be a problem.
no negativity here, just an AWESOME little stumpy plane which will propel your aerobatics skills forward as it is so darned FUN to fly and can cope with being 'dropped' on the ground from low hovers/tr/harriers etc, dusted off, then chucked back up in the air.. holds it's shape very well.

I can understand why 3dHS doesn't want the negative reviews on their website as it is innacurate to say this plane is faulty.. lots of planes from high end companies need a little filing here, or twisting there, or making parts fit etc.. the problem-solving part of any build is satisfying and knowledge building I find. I learn sooo much on here. thanks to all the help from everyone!

good luck on your maiden flights new guys! if you find you haven't got enough elevator or rudder authority for your liking in hover/TR, reducing expo on the tail a bit helps.
Last edited by Natesh; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Oct 01, 2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank
I finished mine yesterday and couldn't determine much if any twist. My chop sticks didn't line up perfect but within a half inch and that could have been from not being able to set them both exactly the same way on each wingtip. There is a slight visual curve up in one wingtip leading edge but it is so slight I hate to mess with it until I fly it as I might make it worse the other way. I will be interested to see how it flys Wednesday Am (next opp with no wind) but I am pretty confident mine is OK.???
Chop sticks, if they're curved, aren't as good a reference as something with a straight edge. You want to see that your wing centerline is running in line with the top of the canopy rail. With a straight edge, you can eyeball it to make sure they're parallel (vs at an angle relative to the rail). In the pic below, it was close enough - didn't see a right roll tendency when I took it to the field.

If you already put your SFGs on, you can rest the straight edge on the servo screw heads - the screw holes are along the centerline on the two I had.
Oct 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
AKA Boomhauer
I wouldn't want some o you fellows reviewing my stuff either.
Oct 01, 2012, 11:14 PM
"Get off the runway!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomchevac
I wouldn't want some o you fellows reviewing my stuff either.
You don't want criticism or think some here are idiots?.

I own a business, for 25 years now. Feedback, good or bad, keeps us on our toes. We man up if something goes wrong, not ignoring negatives. We build on them. In my line of work, we see the comments about my business/work we do on several forums. Most reviews are good, and we investigate the bad ones. No biggie.
Oct 01, 2012, 11:50 PM
Big G you are not happy with the plane you HAVE MADE THAT SUPER CLEAR, please unsub to the fourm, let us who like the plane post here and help the people who ask for the help. Please just move on,

Thanks Scott.
Oct 02, 2012, 12:03 AM
This is BAT country!
There is criticism then there is a point it becomes slander. I don't blame 3DHS for not touching this thread with a 10 ft pole. It is a foamy. Foamy's can flex and twist. Thats what makes them durable! It can also create problems. It is up to you to have a little basic knowledge of how planes fly. Stuff happens to all of us (maybe more to me!) that we dont figure out right away. We learn and move on. If you want a plane to fly like balsa, BUY BALSA.
Oct 02, 2012, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.gonyea
there is criticism then there is a point it becomes slander. I don't blame 3dhs for not touching this thread with a 10 ft pole. It is a foamy. Foamy's can flex and twist. Thats what makes them durable! It can also create problems. It is up to you to have a little basic knowledge of how planes fly. Stuff happens to all of us (maybe more to me!) that we dont figure out right away. We learn and move on. If you want a plane to fly like balsa, buy balsa.
a+a+a+a+
Oct 02, 2012, 12:10 AM
Good to see some supporters... I was starting to think if there were any more tears in this thread we would have to install floats on the Edges
Oct 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gonyea
There is criticism then there is a point it becomes slander. I don't blame 3DHS for not touching this thread with a 10 ft pole. It is a foamy. Foamy's can flex and twist. Thats what makes them durable! It can also create problems. It is up to you to have a little basic knowledge of how planes fly. Stuff happens to all of us (maybe more to me!) that we dont figure out right away. We learn and move on. If you want a plane to fly like balsa, BUY BALSA.
"The 40" EPP Edge is the next offering in a our line of full-fuse EPP aircraft. Built at the world's premier EPP production facility, the 40" Edge employs built up EPP foam structure with a carbon backbone, carbon stiffening in the wings, fuse, and tail, SFG's - which all combine to give superb flight performance and serious durability."

This is false advertisement as this airplane does not have true "super flight performance." The truth is never slander
Oct 02, 2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62
This is false advertisement as this airplane does not have true "super flight performance." The truth is never slander
Searching Youtube for "3dhs epp edge 40" seems to point to some pretty super flight performance.
Oct 02, 2012, 03:34 AM
PA team pilot
Finally!!! some general concensus that this plane is a great little performer.

Chopper, that is just it... The edge DOES have super flight performance. It is a little ripper. one of the most capable and fun planes I have ever flown.. for a foamy it is remarkable good.

Nickelbn, no I am not saying anyone on here is dumb at all.. as I have said before, the airframe is proven to fly REALLY WELL.. otherwise we wouldn't have all these cool flight videos. as it is proven then the problems some are having should be able to be found and corrected, and are most likely in the setup somewhere. We all sincerely hope you guys can experience this delightful flier, and will continue to offer any help, or thoughts and ideas as to what else can be done to find it. those close up photos of the linkages that Scott (i think) asked for would be a good idea.. from several angles if possible. have you checked the linkage for binding with the servo arm off, putting a load on the aileron by hand, and closely observe and feel the linkage movement THROUGH ALL THE TRAVEL?- the only thing I think is "DUMB" is not being able to get the plane flying properly and then BLAMING 3DHS, THE DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING OF THE PLANE, and DISREGARDING THE LOGIC THAT ANYONE'S PLANE OUT THERE SHOULD BE ABLE TO MADE TO FLY LIKE ALL THE 'GOOD' ONES AS LONG AS IT'S THE SAME SHAPE, WEIGHT, POWERS TRAIN ETC (even if there was a manufacturing defect in it)

still none of you with totally unresponsive ailerons have aknowledged what I've said many times, that if blowback of the bendy ailerons was happening towards the wingtip then the first half would still be deflected up at 40 degress or so and would (does) give PLENTY of aileron authority.. the ailerons are absolutely NOT too thin as some have been saying and DON'T need reinforcing to work ok as JBoy said.

anway I was asked to back up my claims by putting up a flight vid.. got some average quality footage, some by a 10 yr old and the rest by a 75 yr old, so a bit shaky etc.. I'll post it later tonight.. not as skillful as some on here, but ok still.

and just another observation about the flight performance.. rolling and hovering tricks are great as I said.. if anyone wants to learn rolling circles and rolling loops, this is your plane. and recovery from hovers tipping over is AMAZINGLY good. did a couple more flights today inverted harriering the whole battery, a foot or 2 off the ground.. accidentally 'landed' upside down on grass, dusted it off and up again. I plop this plane in probably 10 - 20 times a day, with practically no damage.. that is pretty awesome right? I think I'm gonna get some depron and trace / cut out a stack of fresh SFG's to take along to the field when mine won't glue together any more (or get too heavy!)
Last edited by Natesh; Oct 02, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Oct 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Jesus Christ! This is a hobby, supposed to be fun and you guys are arguing about a $100 big boy toy! Lighten up!
Last edited by bigbookfrank; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Oct 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
fly and then fly some more!
All i will ask is, for those who are using the recommended hitec servos and are still having unresponsive ailerons and they have checked all their linkages.....what else could be causing the problem??? One guy stated he put even stronger servos on there and still had unresponsive ailerons at higher speeds....??? At least i have been working to try and figure this out. But not any more. Done messing with it.
Oct 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
I thought 3DHS planes were supposed to be the best? I just started getting more and more into 3D and have been looking at EPP/EPO and Balsa planes. Not looking to sink money into something that doesn't perform.

Is this plane a good performer or are there better options?

Quick Reply