Jan 28, 2013, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
Is it possible to program an alarm in a Profi to work with a temp threshold in the ESC? I know how to set the cutoff temp... Just curious about an alarm. Have read the whole manual and cannot see anything that says its possible.
You can set ANY alarm. All it's based on data stream.

Zb/Esprit Model
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Knew some one would finally use th accelerometer this way.
Ever since I learned that we thumb flyers are going to have to pay a premium for the DS16 over the DC16 (as well as having to wait longer ), I have been wondering what use could be made of the accelerometers.

I guess I might set it up so a quick tilt of the Tx prompts an audio telemetry readout of some sort, eg flight time remaining. Also I have a T61 motor glider which I like to land with the (electric) motor running. The air brakes are on 3 position switch at present, but maybe accelerometer control of the brakes would be an improvement?

What ideas do other would-be DS16 owners have for extracting value out of this unrequested but non-optional feature?
Jan 28, 2013, 10:32 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
First that came to my mind was conventional controls to the aircraft, but camera controls to the TX accelerometer (TXA).
Use the TXA as a steering wheel and brakes.
Not sure if it would be practical, but as a finer expo input for hover or flare...
Even trim tab settings Level out you TX and then hit a button. Lots of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
.....What ideas do other would-be DS16 owners have for extracting value out of this unrequested but non-optional feature?
Jan 28, 2013, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Zb/Esprit Model
I asked earlier; Is there a list of what is in the data stream coming off the Mezon ESCs? What telemetry data do they collect. I'm working out a sensor list but there's no point of duplicating what the Mezon is already tracking it.
Jan 28, 2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
I asked earlier; Is there a list of what is in the data stream coming off the Mezon ESCs? What telemetry data do they collect. I'm working out a sensor list but there's no point of duplicating what the Mezon is already tracking it.
The Mezon telemetry stream sends battery voltage, battery amperage, battery consumption (mah), BEC voltage, BEC amperage, RPM (can include gear ratio), temperature, PWM % (throttle output), and run time.

I received my Mezon on Saturday, had it installed on Saturday night, and only had time for 2 test flights on Sunday. Initial impressions are very good but I still need to tweak governor gain slightly and try different PWM rates & timing numbers. Time will tell if they're as reliable as say YGE or Kontronik but so far I'm very impressed, the Mezon is one of the easiest ESC's I've ever set up thanks to the actual text and clear settings shown on the Jetibox compared to say a Prog Card and blinking lights. Being able to set the initial spoolup time in 0.1s increments and the autorotation bailout spoolup time in 0.02s increments is nice! Dialing in the governed headspeed was easy thanks to the RPM telemetry which perfectly matched my WR Chinook optical tach. It's also very nice to be able to change the ESC parameters through the Jetibox in the DC16 without having to hook up a Prog Card. I suppose if you had a helper with a Profibox you could even adjust some of the parameters in flight.

Esprit, another firmware suggestion for the Jeti guys:

When setting up a capacity alarm in the DC16 the increment is 1 mah-- it takes a looooooong time and a lot of spins of the rotary knob to get to 3500mah! Some sort of "rapid advance" or even decreasing the resolution to say 5 or 10 mah per increment would be a big time saver (is 1 mah resolution for the consumption alarm really necessary?) It's a pain you only have to go through once when setting up a model and capacity alarm but I think I've taken 3 years off the life of the rotary switch on my DC16.
Last edited by Kiba; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
Jim H
The Mezon esc telemetry does not send motor rpm?
Jan 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Kiba!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
So which is it? They do or do not?
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
The Mezon will send direct motor RPM if you leave the gear ratio parameter at 1:1.

If you specify a gear ratio other than 1:1 the telemetry will send the calculated gearbox RPM (motor rpm divided by gear ratio)-- helicopter rotor RPM in my case.

You must also specify the motor pole count in the Mezon for correct RPM reporting.
Jan 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
The Mezon will send direct motor RPM if you leave the gear ratio parameter at 1:1.

If you specify a gear ratio other than 1:1 the telemetry will send the calculated gearbox RPM (motor rpm divided by gear ratio)-- helicopter rotor RPM in my case.

You must also specify the motor pole count in the Mezon for correct RPM reporting.
Jan 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
Professional idiot
Quote:
Esprit, another firmware suggestion for the Jeti guys:

When setting up a capacity alarm in the DC16 the increment is 1 mah-- it takes a looooooong time and a lot of spins of the rotary knob to get to 3500mah! Some sort of "rapid advance" or even decreasing the resolution to say 5 or 10 mah per increment would be a big time saver (is 1 mah resolution for the consumption alarm really necessary?) It's a pain you only have to go through once when setting up a model and capacity alarm but I think I've taken 3 years off the life of the rotary switch on my DC16.
Even worse on 6000mah packs

There is a way that should still work on the Mezon as far as I'm aware. When you program the ESC with the Jetibox (or DC-16 emulation) you can set up alarms: The so called morse code alarms. The capacity one is in 50mah increments (much nicer).

On the DC-16 these morse code alarms can be enabled and samples assigned. Much easier than using the DC-16 to provide the actual alarm and how we have been doing it these past few years using the MUI sensors.

I still use the transmitter to provide voice information about capacity etc but let the sensor itself provide the alarm trigger. Can't see any disadvantage; just another example of how Jeti provide multiple ways of doing the same job.
Jan 28, 2013, 03:23 PM
I've considered setting the morse code alarms in the Mezon as well but it's a little easier in the TX plus you get voice alerts of the current value at the time of alarm.

Still, 1mah increments on the TX is a little silly.
Jan 28, 2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
I've considered setting the morse code alarms in the Mezon as well but it's a little easier in the TX plus you get voice alerts of the current value at the time of alarm.

Still, 1mah increments on the TX is a little silly.
So no one has found the stored table value to just enter a mAh figure into? Cause its even more annoying if you use various batteries or coming off charge know the actual capacity of a specific pack.
Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 PM
You're right, it would be very annoying to reset every time you flew if you have different capacity packs.

I haven't looked at the Jeti model files on my PC yet so I'm not sure what format they are stored in. If it's anything like Spektrum model files it would be easy to manually edit the capacity alarm.

I only have two 12S 5000 flight packs and fast charge at the field so the 1mah increment on the rotary knob for the TX alarm was only annoying during the initial setup. If I had flight packs of different capacities it would be extremely annoying to have to adjust the value each flight depending on what battery I was flying.

In that case, what would be faster is to have multiple models in the TX memory ready to go; have one slot setup for say 5000mah alarm, another one setup for 4000mah alarm, etc. That way all you would need to do is select the appropriate model at powerup for the battery you'll be flying. That would be much quicker than adjusting the alarm threshold every time.
Jan 28, 2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
You're right, it would be very annoying to reset every time you flew if you have different capacity packs.

I haven't looked at the Jeti model files on my PC yet so I'm not sure what format they are stored in. If it's anything like Spektrum model files it would be easy to manually edit the capacity alarm.....
Would have to agree then this being fixed in the future allowing to enter a numerical value without incrementing a dial.
The multiple model soln is a work around but not very efficient needlessly waisting memory. Good solution but I agree with your first request for them to change this.
Jan 28, 2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Would have to agree then this being fixed in the future allowing to enter a numerical value without incrementing a dial.
The multiple model soln is a work around but not very efficient needlessly waisting memory. Good solution but I agree with your first request for them to change this.
I wouldn't be worried about wasting memory, the TX has a 4 gig SD card. I think it would be much faster and less effort just to select the appropriate model and matching battery capacity at TX start up rather than have to dive into the menus and change the capacity in the alarm menu for every flight. Of course the problem with this scheme is if you change trims, expo, or something on your setup you'll have to update all the stored models which would be a large inconvenience. Now it doesn't sound like such a good idea.

Of course you could always take the expensive way out and just buy and fly identical flight packs.

Quick Reply