Mar 08, 2014, 01:50 PM
i am not able to get the RPM sensor to work. it stays at O. i am using the MRPM EN sensor and a DLE 35 cc gas engine with a 2 blade propeller.
the ignition is RXcel and it has a lead for the RPM tach that is onboard.

i unplugged the onboard Tach, and connected the sensor to this. now, the sensor came with a lead that has two wires. one black and one red. the ends were soldered bare from Jeti, so i had to use my crimper and place a males JR plug on the end.

now, on the JR plug, the black of the rpm sensor lines up with the black of the CDI plug. the red of the sensor, i did not line up with the red, instead with the signal.

then, inside jetibox, i had to use the side arrows to move to MX, then from there, i saw the two sensors: temp and rpm, then went down to RPM, then went into the program screen. set the poles at 2, set the trigger at 0, turned off the high and low alarms using the morse code letter T (which i believe to be off).

still would not work, somewhere, i recalled reading that a guy had similar problem, he changed the polarity of the JR plug, did that, and WOW, very very accurate now in getting the RPM. I am happy,. next step is to set up the optical RPM sensor on the 91" Yak.
Last edited by orthobird; Mar 08, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: figured it out while i was writing this, read the end of the post, there is a good ending.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2014, 03:59 PM
Who put the rug on the wall?
Can you make a diagram of the wiring? I am doing the exact same thing. Same size and brand motor. Thanks in advance.
Mar 08, 2014, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird
i am not able to get the RPM sensor to work. it stays at O. i am using the MRPM EN sensor and a DLE 35 cc gas engine with a 2 blade propeller.

i unplugged the onboard Tach, and connected the sensor to this. now, the sensor came with a lead that has two wires. one black and one red. the ends were soldered bare from Jeti, so i had to use my crimper and place a males JR plug on the end.

now, on the JR plug, the black of the rpm sensor lines up with the black of the CDI plug. the red of the sensor, i did not line up with the red, instead with the signal.

then, inside jetibox, i had to use the side arrows to move to MX, then from there, i saw the two sensors: temp and rpm, then went down to RPM, then went into the program screen. set the poles at 2, set the trigger at 0, turned off the high and low alarms using the morse code letter T (which i believe to be off).

still would not work, somewhere, i recalled reading that a guy had similar problem, he changed the polarity of the JR plug, did that, and WOW, very very accurate now in getting the RPM. I am happy,. next step is to set up the optical RPM sensor on the 91" Yak.
I have it working with 4 rxcel ignitions on the tach port.
Connect black to black, red sensor to white tach signal.
Set poles to 2.
I crimp on a jr servo connector to the sensor lead and just plug it into the tach lead.
Mar 08, 2014, 06:37 PM
Could anyone assist with a couple of ppm related questions?

Firstly, I've connected up the ppm accessory jack - does this shut off the 2.4ghz transmitter when in use? If not is there a way to switch transmission off? I'd like to be able to connect this output to a UHF transmitter which will be used on a MR with 2.4ghz video.

Secondly, looking at an R9 in the device explorer (for the first time) it looks like I have the option of outputting a ppm stream from one of the connections. Is it possible to output (say) channels 1-6 on ppm and still have channels 7-9 on the regular receiver outputs?
Mar 08, 2014, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasanjohn
Can you make a diagram of the wiring? I am doing the exact same thing. Same size and brand motor. Thanks in advance.
this is what i did.
some did black to black, white to red

when i did this, mine read 0 on the Tx.

once i switched it, then it reads RPM accurately.
Mar 09, 2014, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plingboot
Could anyone assist with a couple of ppm related questions?

Firstly, I've connected up the ppm accessory jack - does this shut off the 2.4ghz transmitter when in use? If not is there a way to switch transmission off? I'd like to be able to connect this output to a UHF transmitter which will be used on a MR with 2.4ghz video.

Secondly, looking at an R9 in the device explorer (for the first time) it looks like I have the option of outputting a ppm stream from one of the connections. Is it possible to output (say) channels 1-6 on ppm and still have channels 7-9 on the regular receiver outputs?

Yes you can switch off the HF in the extended settings menu manually. It does not switch off when you connect something to the PPM port.
Correct you can output ppm on one channel and have regular receiver outputs on the other channels.
Hoever the current FW has a defect resulting in jitter on the ppm channel in this combined mode which has caused some issues with FCs like a Naza. FW 3.20 is supposed to contain a fix for this, so I would suggest to wait until it will be hopefully released soon.
Mar 09, 2014, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasanjohn
So you can assign sound for a specific sensor to a knob or is it assigning sound for the complete jeti system?
under "System" , "sound volume", vario volume has its own setting, and can select a control sw.
Mar 09, 2014, 08:10 AM
Quote:
this is what i did.
some did black to black, white to red

when i did this, mine read 0 on the Tx.

once i switched it, then it reads RPM accurately.
Thank you!!!
Mar 09, 2014, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtal
under "System" , "sound volume", vario volume has its own setting, and can select a control sw.
Super, feeling silly for not seeing that. Thank you.
Mar 09, 2014, 08:55 AM
Quote:

Looking on the Esprit website I see an MRPM Optical EX sensor and an MRPM AC EX sensor for brushless motor speed sensing. You mention an MRPM EN sensor and I am not sure which one that is. Can you point me in the right direction. I used the optical sensor with blk to blk and red to signal and it did not work so I thought I would try the MRPM AC sensor. Is the EN sensor you mention either of the two I mentioned? Thanks

Howard
Mar 09, 2014, 09:24 AM
Howard, sorry for the confusion, I used the brushless sensor:
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tele...rpm-ac-ex.aspx

that is the one, and it works flawlessly. very accurate!!

I will try to install the optical one on my Yak today, since the Yak has a DA, I doubt I can use the brushless one like on a DLE or any engine that has RXcel CDi's.
Mar 09, 2014, 11:26 AM

Official Info: Jeti 2.4GHz Duplex Radio & Telemetry Systems, Firmware Updates….

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored
There is no exactness to this, it's my general feeling. I will not defend a feeling, I am simply expressing it.

Yes, you are obviously allowed to say whatever you want, I am only doing the same.

There is an exactness to this actually. If Dave talked to his boss the way he's talking to Zb, he would be fired. If he talked to his wife that way, she slap him and hopefully divorce him. I think those are pretty solid litmus tests for tact.
Last edited by Sillyness; Mar 09, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Mar 09, 2014, 11:39 AM

Official Info: Jeti 2.4GHz Duplex Radio & Telemetry Systems, Firmware Updates….

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
A solution and a question:
Solution: Wanted to have a throttle kill switch on my DS-16 for the tow plane's DA-120. Tried the kill switch feature. Problem is it kills the engine at any throttle setting. Might be helpful for some situations but not great if you inadvertently hit the switch during a tow.

Noodled around a bit, set up a flight mode called Throttle Kill on a swtich and used Flight Mode Trim to establish a "low/Low" carb setting on Throttle. This way, the throttle can only go into low/low setting and shut off the engine when the throttle stick is at idle.

OK, now that I've made my modest contribution, time for a question.

Can someone tell me what exactly you can do with flight modes? Is it simply a matter of adjusting trims or can something more major be done? If so, can you provide a very specific example e.g. how exactly do you do it?!

TIA,

Steve

PS I'll be offering a truly pristine DC-16 shortly.

So I went a different route for my DA-120. There are two ways to kill my motor, just in case. Throttle low, and a fibre optic kill switch. The throttle is obviously connected to one receiver, but I can control my kill switch from either of 2 receivers. I have a single switch that controls both the throttle kill, and the kill switch. The trick to not hitting it accidentally... replace the switch with a locking switch from Jeti. Impossible to accidentally flip it in flight.

Brings up an interesting thought... with a central box, it might be preferable to use a dual channel fiber optic kill switch plugged directly into the ppm outputs of the RXs instead of into the central box. A sure way to kill your motor if there is a catastrophic central box failure.
Mar 09, 2014, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyness
So I went a different route for my DA-120. There are two ways to kill my motor, just in case. Throttle low, and a fibre optic kill switch. The throttle is obviously connected to one receiver, but I can control my kill switch from either of 2 receivers. I have a single switch that controls both the throttle kill, and the kill switch. The trick to not hitting it accidentally... replace the switch with a locking switch from Jeti. Impossible to accidentally flip it in flight.

Brings up an interesting thought... with a central box, it might be preferable to use a dual channel fiber optic kill switch plugged directly into the ppm outputs of the RXs instead of into the central box. A sure way to kill your motor if there is a catastrophic central box failure.
Any decent, properly configured, kill switch should shut down the engine if it loses it's input signal from the receiver or if that signal goes to it's fail-safe condition. If the central box or both receivers failed, you should either completely lose the PWM servo output, which should shut down the engine or it should go to fail-safe which should kill the engine also. Loss of voltage to the central box should shut down the ignition as well...
Mar 09, 2014, 01:11 PM
just installed the optical RPM sensor to my yak, 91" ws, da 70 twin engine. my analysis: the sensor works. it is dependent on light source in front of it. do not know how much is required. I placed a lamp in my garage, since it is overcast today, and I did this inside my garage, and with Throttle WO, I got 7200 rpm, which is about correct. the low end, it was reading 2500, but I think it is more like 1800 at idle, but in any event, that is good enough for me. required creativity to install. since you do not want anything between the sensor and the prop that can reflect light into the sensor.

Quick Reply