Jan 31, 2014, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Fresh from Germany. Jeti Radios, Central Box 400....

Zb/Esprit Model
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2014, 02:50 PM
AeroPanda Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model

Zb/Esprit Model
Is the first picture CB100, CB200 and CB400?... It looks like CB200 has a new look... Does it have new electronics / features inside..
Jan 31, 2014, 07:05 PM

wsTech LinkVario for DC/DS-16 transmitter

Hi
I'm new in this forum (from Denmark, so I hope my english is understandable ) and I am the coming owner of a Jeti DS-16 transmitter, which I have now been waiting for a few months and I 'm looking forward to get my hands in. I have read many posts in this thread and am impressed by the knowledge and experience as exhibited here.

While I wait , I have had time to prepare my also brand-new Tangent Alpina 5001 electro glider. It is i.a. equipped with 8 MKS servos , one Kontronik motor and ESC , one MAX BEC 2D EX voltage regulator from JETI and an R12 EPC EX receives from JETI .

I have now bought a wsTech Link Vario for JETI DC/DS-16 ( variometer and altimeter ) with GPS and Power sensor, but the manual prescribes the LinkVario to be connected directly to the receivers EX connection. So it can not be connected to the receiver through an EX EXPANDER together with other sensors.

However, I would also like to monitor the voltage and current consumption from the MAX BEC voltage regulator.

My question is therefore how do I do that ? Do I have to install an additional receiver and if so, which one ? Or what?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
Peter
Jan 31, 2014, 07:40 PM
Hi Peter - welcome and I'm sure you'll love the DS-16 when it arrives!

Looking at the WS manual, it appears that you can use the vario with an expander with some loss of response...

Important notice for the use of other sensors with the JETI Expander EX:
The LinkVario could also be used with the Jeti Expander in parallel to other sensors. But this would cause
the drawback of a slower data rate for the vario signal resulting in slower vario sound changes which would
consequently become more volatile
Jan 31, 2014, 09:19 PM
Pro beginner
I now understand why the Rx firmware update is being delayed so badly... My guess is it needs re-testing with all these gazillion new products your bringing to market.

Zb I really don't mind waiting. But any reasonable lad can get frustrated being told "next week" on a weekly basis from 2 months ago.

If you can, just tell us a realistic date. "unknown at this stage" is also acceptable.

Not trying to come across negatively, and you most certainly are not the only vendors doing this. But I do think every one in a while, you guys are better than that
Jan 31, 2014, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru
I have this one Mezon 130 acting weirdly. All my 3 others are not having this problem

When I turn on my DC-16 and then the Mezon, it seems like it is not initiating the readings, I don't see any appear on my Jeti DC-16 screen. If I go to the JetiBox emulator of my DC-16, it will recognizes the Mezon and the readings appear fine,

If I turn off only the Mezon and let the readings disappear off the DC-16 screen, they reappear fine when I turn it back on again but if I turn off the DC-16 also then it won't initiate again. I have to go to the JetiBox emulator to make it happen

It is as if the DC-16 has to find the Mezon through the JetiBox to be able to do the readings.

Any ideas?

Like I said all my other Mezon initiate fine the minute I turn on my DC-16 except for that one. I have upgraded the Tx to the latest firmware and my Mezon also just in case although the latest firmware for it is pretty old. Could it be something in the programming that I am missing and is new to that version for the Tx?
Ok it seems that it is the Mezon that is acting up I have loaded a brand new simple model. I have tried different batteries and finally I plugged a brand new Mezon I have for my coming plane, this one works perfect. So it looks like I will have to call Esprit on monday.
Thanks for the help guys
Jan 31, 2014, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern
Hi
I'm new in this forum (from Denmark, so I hope my english is understandable ) and I am the coming owner of a Jeti DS-16 transmitter, which I have now been waiting for a few months and I 'm looking forward to get my hands in. I have read many posts in this thread and am impressed by the knowledge and experience as exhibited here.

While I wait , I have had time to prepare my also brand-new Tangent Alpina 5001 electro glider. It is i.a. equipped with 8 MKS servos , one Kontronik motor and ESC , one MAX BEC 2D EX voltage regulator from JETI and an R12 EPC EX receives from JETI .

I have now bought a wsTech Link Vario for JETI DC/DS-16 ( variometer and altimeter ) with GPS and Power sensor, but the manual prescribes the LinkVario to be connected directly to the receivers EX connection. So it can not be connected to the receiver through an EX EXPANDER together with other sensors.

However, I would also like to monitor the voltage and current consumption from the MAX BEC voltage regulator.

My question is therefore how do I do that ? Do I have to install an additional receiver and if so, which one ? Or what?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely,
Peter
Yes it can be done. Set up a second receiver in dual path mode ppm output and a R14 and up main rx. Then you can plug the expander and stuff into the sat rx and the link into the main. The transmitter will mix the telemetry. I have a similar setup. One sensor plugged into the ex parts of each receiver.
Feb 01, 2014, 01:57 AM
Goes to eleven!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model

Zb/Esprit Model
Hey ZB-
Which model of YAK or maybe a Pitts is in the Hacker/Jeti display photo to right?

Thanks,
Joe
Feb 01, 2014, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickw
"Clone mode" is a setting in the receiver and is in my receiver manuals. Having said that, you can switch a receiver into "clone mode" by using the JetiBox emulator in the transmitter.
OK, you're right, I found the word "clone" in the rx manual, but no clear instructions on how to put it in that mode. Very frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickw
First the receiver has to be bound to the transmitter in the normal manner, then you can switch it to a clone as follows:

From main menu in the Tx:
>Applications
>Jetibox - Should get a screen showing "Receiver type"
Down arrow - "Measure or Setting"
Right arrow - "Main setting"
Down arrow x 6 - "RX mode" - should show "<< << Normal"
Press the left arrow and hold for at least 5 secs. and display should change to "Clone ! >> >>"

The receiver is now in clone mode and will respond to the transmitter without sending telemetry, so you can operate as many clone receivers as you like.

This procedure works for me, but if it is not clear I can do some screen prints that may help.
So I then bound my Rx to the Tx in what "I think" is the "normal" mode, but I'm not really sure what that means. After reading 100 posts on this cloning topic, I've come to realize everyone uses different words, and "normal" is not clearly defined enough for me.

I say that because, after binding, I can go to "Applications" - "Jetibox", and I can NOT find a screen that says "Receiver Type", nor any of the other things your Tx says to you about your Rx, and unfortunately, the word "clone" is still being very elusive. I can only assume this is because I have bound my Rx using the "abnormal" manner.

On the bright side, I have managed to get the satellite Rx (R5) to bind as a "dual-path", and so I have one each of the Tx modules talking back and forth to one each of the Rx's...but this is NOT what I wanted to accomplish. Yes, it works, and I managed to figure out how to get PPM out of the satellite, and get the R14 to accept PPM inputs on the SAT1 port, and I get an alarm if I turn off 1, or the other, or both, of the receivers...so I know that the they are both conversating 2-directionally with the transmitter. Yay.

But the elusive "Cloned" satellite receiver is still partying with Sasquatch...Unseen.
Feb 01, 2014, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseF22
Yes it can be done. Set up a second receiver in dual path mode ppm output and a R14 and up main rx. Then you can plug the expander and stuff into the sat rx and the link into the main. The transmitter will mix the telemetry. I have a similar setup. One sensor plugged into the ex parts of each receiver.
On one hand, this is one of the thing I like about the Jeti system - there are often different ways of doing things. On the other hand, this solution seems a little kludgy. Hopefully, the issue is only due to some limitation of the EX expander which could be eliminated in the future. I noticed that the new MVario2 has an integrated expander, likely to combat this shortcoming, but that solution seem to be a stop-gap measure.
Feb 01, 2014, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimart
Hi Peter - welcome and I'm sure you'll love the DS-16 when it arrives!

Looking at the WS manual, it appears that you can use the vario with an expander with some loss of response...

Important notice for the use of other sensors with the JETI Expander EX:
The LinkVario could also be used with the Jeti Expander in parallel to other sensors. But this would cause
the drawback of a slower data rate for the vario signal resulting in slower vario sound changes which would
consequently become more volatile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseF22
Thanks for your answers scimart and GooseF22.
I did notice that I could use the expander but that it was not optimal.
So I think I will go for the sat rx solution.
Feb 01, 2014, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice
OK, you're right, I found the word "clone" in the rx manual, but no clear instructions on how to put it in that mode. Very frustrating.

So I then bound my Rx to the Tx in what "I think" is the "normal" mode, but I'm not really sure what that means. After reading 100 posts on this cloning topic, I've come to realize everyone uses different words, and "normal" is not clearly defined enough for me.

I say that because, after binding, I can go to "Applications" - "Jetibox", and I can NOT find a screen that says "Receiver Type", nor any of the other things your Tx says to you about your Rx, and unfortunately, the word "clone" is still being very elusive. I can only assume this is because I have bound my Rx using the "abnormal" manner.

On the bright side, I have managed to get the satellite Rx (R5) to bind as a "dual-path", and so I have one each of the Tx modules talking back and forth to one each of the Rx's...but this is NOT what I wanted to accomplish. Yes, it works, and I managed to figure out how to get PPM out of the satellite, and get the R14 to accept PPM inputs on the SAT1 port, and I get an alarm if I turn off 1, or the other, or both, of the receivers...so I know that the they are both conversating 2-directionally with the transmitter. Yay.

But the elusive "Cloned" satellite receiver is still partying with Sasquatch...Unseen.
Binding your R14 and R5 in double path mode is not the same as having an R14 with an R5 as satellite. In double path mode, each Rx is independent of each other, and talks directly to one of the (2) Tx modules. Each Rx will directly control it's own connected servos.

In satellite mode, the R5 needs to have PPM Output going into the R14, and it will not control any servos. However, how can one even obtain PPM Output from an R5 to begin with, since the Rx Instruction Manual indicates that PPM Output is not even available from an R5 (although Zb claims it is)?? The R5 only has PPM Input in the US versions.

I agree that the Jeti documentation is confusing and sometimes contradictory.

(And I'm sure that EVERYBODY will bite my head off for saying that................)
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 01, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
Feb 01, 2014, 07:02 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice
..............But the elusive "Cloned" satellite receiver is still partying with Sasquatch...Unseen.
OK let’s have another go with some screen prints.
I tried again and it does look a bit different to my original notes, my apologies.

One thing I have found is that the JetiBox emulator remembers where you are in a sequence of button presses, and if you go down a wrong menu route it can be difficult getting back to where you really want to be. So if you go wrong it is easier to turn off Tx and Rx and then turn them on again to reset everything.

To me (and Jeti as well I think) a normal receiver is one that is in 2 way communication with the Tx. A “clone” receiver is one that “listens only”, which is why you have to bind it to the TX before you set it in clone mode. (main, satellite, double path, primary, secondary, all refer to different things)

In the “wireless modes” menu I have my Tx in “default” mode rather than “double path”.

So from a fresh start:-
Turn on Tx then Rx and make sure you get the “Receiver Bound” message.
Go to the “Applications” menu and select “Jetibox”
With any luck you should get Screen001 below
Press Right arrow > get Screen002
Press Down arrow v get Screen003
Press Down arrow v get screen004
Press Right arrow > get Screen005
Press Down arrow 6 times (wait after each press for the screen to change) v v v v v v get Screen006
Press and hold Left arrow for at least 5 seconds and it will eventually change to Screen007.

Your receiver is now in “Clone” mode and will respond to any transmitted signal from your Tx in any model memory, and will not send back telemetry.
Using the Jetibox emulator seems a bit hit and miss, so if the above doesn’t work first time it is worth trying again a few times (or getting a real Jetibox). There should be diagrams of the RX/Jetibox menu structure in the back of the Rx manual which may help if things go wrong again.

NOTE – the Tx will not start to transmit until it knows a normal Rx is listening, so you have to turn on a normal Rx before the clone will pick up anything. Once the Tx is transmitting you can turn off the normal Rx if you want, and the Tx will continue to transmit and the clone will continue to receive - AND yes, a clone receiver will control servos.

Dick
Last edited by dickw; Feb 02, 2014 at 05:08 AM. Reason: oops - corrected down arrow x 6 symbol
Feb 01, 2014, 07:37 AM
Right, but if you ONLY want to use an R5 as a satellite Rx, for antenna diversity (like Rsat2), how do you do it???
Feb 01, 2014, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle
....... In my example it's not like NASA isn't doing great stuff. But if it's well within their power to do much more but they don't that harkens to the entire PC gravy train of the 1980-2000....
Max, you realize of course that Barack Obama has completely destroyed the NASA Space Program, don't you???

The US has absolutely NO human launch-capabilities anymore, in order to get our own Astronauts up to the Space Station, so we now have to rely upon the Russians to get us there.

It's all so sad.....................

(This is completely Off-Topic, so I'm quite certain that I will once again be censored by the Moderator..................)
Last edited by davemilw07; Feb 01, 2014 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply