Dec 31, 2013, 05:59 PM

Vario Data

Just started flying a variometer and was surprised at the recorded data. The screen shots show the throttle position, relative altitude and the vario output. The Vario signal looks like it is chopped at about one Hertz. Is that normal?

I can't think of any condition in the airplane that could cause such a consistent frequency. Perhaps it is a sample and hold but why not hold the sampled level for the full cycle?

Anyway I think we could have a new event. Drag race to 1000 feet? It looks like I was climbing at over 4000 feet per minute during the full throttle portion of the climb.

Jim O
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2013, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino
Anyway I think we could have a new event. Drag race to 1000 feet? It looks like I was climbing at over 4000 feet per minute during the full throttle portion of the climb.
Jim O
Jim,
Not a new event.
But you have given me an idea to tell who really wins!
We drag race pretty much every time somebody does a new engine setup!
Drag Racing some Pilots (1 min 42 sec)

Group of 3DHS Edges and a Slick having fun (13 min 43 sec)
first drag at 5:40
3D Hobby Shop, 92" Edge 540's (9 min 22 sec)
at 2:35 and 3:30
Jan 01, 2014, 05:20 AM
Long time Duplex user (with TU2 modules in various Multiplex transmitters), but only been using my DS-16 for a couple of days now.

Before I bought it I knew that the DS16 used more of an "asian style" programming paradigm vs the Multiplex style (which has distinct layers for controls, multiple-input mixing, and servo outputs) but I'm struggling to get my head around some simple things.

First basic question: say I have a wing with two aileron servos, and I find that the aileron travel overall is too large. What is the best way to reduce aileron throw ? So far I've been changing the "function curve" for ailerons from "standard" to "3 point" and reducing the end point values for the 3 point curve. Is there a simpler/better way ???
Jan 01, 2014, 05:28 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Quote:
Anyway I think we could have a new event. Drag race to 1000 feet? It looks like I was climbing at over 4000 feet per minute during the full throttle portion of the climb..................
You will have to come up with a model class system to make that work , as some of us already have some pretty fast climbing models. My calculations from attached the screen shots show 920 feet height gain in about 7 seconds = 7885 feet per minute.

Data is from the SM UniLog in my plane which is fully integrated with the Jeti telemetry system.

Dick
Last edited by dickw; Jan 01, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Jan 01, 2014, 05:38 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S
...........Before I bought it I knew that the DS16 used more of an "asian style" programming paradigm vs the Multiplex style ............... but I'm struggling to get my head around some simple things...
I know what you mean, I moved from Multiplex as well, but you soon get there .

Quote:
..........First basic question: say I have a wing with two aileron servos, and I find that the aileron travel overall is too large. What is the best way to reduce aileron throw ? So far I've been changing the "function curve" for ailerons from "standard" to "3 point" and reducing the end point values for the 3 point curve. Is there a simpler/better way ???
There is a dual rates menu which may be simpler for simple models, but a 3 point (or more) curve is what I do. Used with flight modes a function curve is very powerful. I can't think of a better way.

Dick
Jan 01, 2014, 06:33 AM
Ok, thanks Dick. 3-pt curve it is then !

I've a few more questions still to come...
Jan 01, 2014, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Just started flying a variometer and was surprised at the recorded data. The screen shots show the throttle position, relative altitude and the vario output. The Vario signal looks like it is chopped at about one Hertz. Is that normal?

Jim O
Go to www.jetimodel.com web site and update your Vario, I think Jeti increased sensitivity and refreshing rate.

Zb/Esprit Model
Jan 01, 2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickw
I know what you mean, I moved from Multiplex as well, but you soon get there .

There is a dual rates menu which may be simpler for simple models, but a 3 point (or more) curve is what I do. Used with flight modes a function curve is very powerful. I can't think of a better way.

Dick
...unless you don't envisage ever using the total movement available when it would be far better to reduce the throw mechanically to utilise better resolution and mechanical advantage.
Jan 01, 2014, 01:37 PM
Goes to eleven!
Happy New Year ZB!

Thanks for all your support!

Joe
Jan 01, 2014, 03:13 PM

Switch orientation ?

Ok, next question.

If I put all of the switches into an up position and use the "Show Inputs" screen to check their values, they don't appear to be consistent. This is what I see:

Conversely, if I change the switch positions so that all of them show in the "Show Inputs" screen in an Off value, this is what I see:

So, switches SB, SC, and SE appear reversed compared to all the others.

Is this normal behaviour, and is there a way to correct it ?
Jan 01, 2014, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Ok, next question.

If I put all of the switches into an up position and use the "Show Inputs" screen to check their values, they don't appear to be consistent. This is what I see:

So, switches SB, SC, and SE appear reversed compared to all the others.

Is this normal behaviour, and is there a way to correct it ?
Mine does exactly the same but I haven't noticed any problems in operation - after all, you simply move the switch to the desired operated position during programming...

What does seem odd is the amount of time it takes to show the position change of Se on the display - does yours do this?
Jan 01, 2014, 04:58 PM
I agree that it doesn't really cause an issue when you program by physically moving the switches to the desired position but thought it might get confusing when setting up logical switches etc. Plus it annoys me from an engineering perspective

Se responds as quickly as the others on mine.
Jan 01, 2014, 05:49 PM
Quote:
I agree that it doesn't really cause an issue when you program by physically moving the switches to the desired position but thought it might get confusing when setting up logical switches etc. Plus it annoys me from an engineering perspective

I see your point.

Although my Se does seem to behave oddly - it responds instantly from the centre position to either outside one but switching back gives a 4 second delay - and I've set up a test model from scratch to prove it isn't something I've programmed and copied to other models.

BUT - the timer function I've programmed on it switches on and off instantly although an OK message comes up on the display 4 seconds after switching back to the central position.

...and still does after a battery power reset while adjusting my stick tensions.

Which software are you running? Mine's on 2.22
Last edited by scimart; Jan 01, 2014 at 06:03 PM.
Jan 01, 2014, 06:12 PM
In search of speed......
There was one slow switch on my DC-16 that I didn't realize that I had setup as screen capture....the screen capture take a few seconds.
Jan 01, 2014, 07:06 PM
Quote:
<snip>
Mine too..

Quick Reply