May 20, 2013, 09:54 PM
Name: 20130520_213747.jpg
Views: 189
Size: 155.6 KB
Description: Dead backlight on Jeti DS-16.

So I came home from an awesome day of flying today with my DS-16. I plugged it in to charge it and the screen turns on asking if I want to turn on the transmitter. Before I hit the no button, I noticed the screen seemed kind of dim. So I started watching it, and right before my very eyes, the screen flickered a little, and then the backlight went dead. I made sure that the brightness of the screen settings was turned all the way up. Seems like its completely dead. I put my Futaba with it's backlight next to it for comparison in the picture. Any ideas? What can I expect from Esprit Model when I call them tomorrow? I've had it for about 2 weeks now.
Last edited by roofus4; May 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2013, 10:09 PM
Report your problem, and request immediate assistance!!!!!!!
May 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
Professional idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru View Post
That was actually a question.

I guess that was an answer ?
I didn't expand much on the CentralBox or Enlinks as they have been discussed on this thread a number of times. Esprit has the Enlinks on his website as well as videos he posted here not long ago which show them in action.

The Enlink allows you to plug two receivers into a single servo, each with their own power source. It then selects which receiver to use as well as which power source.

The CentralBox is coming soon but a few videos were posted on this thread. Does the same job as the Enlinks but in a nice self contained single control box. Switches between input receivers and input power sources as well as a few other things that help eliminate potential failures.
May 20, 2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
I didn't expand much on the CentralBox or Enlinks as they have been discussed on this thread a number of times. Esprit has the Enlinks on his website as well as videos he posted here not long ago which show them in action.

The Enlink allows you to plug two receivers into a single servo, each with their own power source. It then selects which receiver to use as well as which power source.

The CentralBox is coming soon but a few videos were posted on this thread. Does the same job as the Enlinks but in a nice self contained single control box. Switches between input receivers and input power sources as well as a few other things that help eliminate potential failures.
Thank youi
May 20, 2013, 10:25 PM
Professional idiot
I will expand more in my posts next time. I usually decide to be lazy as the search box at the top of the page does such a good job
May 20, 2013, 10:29 PM
Sometimes things are not that obvious, the Enlinks sure was not from the video for me
May 20, 2013, 10:33 PM
Professional idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino View Post
Hello Stephan,

I currently fly pattern (F3A) planes with a Futaba 14MZ which is an 11 bit (2048 step) system. Fine resolution is required for neutral trim and for matching servos so the elevators will track and not induce roll.

The Futaba system is setup to give a change of .585 μsec per step (1200/2048). If I set my elevator throw to plus and minus 25 degrees for snap rolls using 1000 μsec of the total 1200, I end up with .029 Deg/step. Now if I fly most of the time with plus and minus 9 degrees of elevator, I only use 620 steps. I can live with that.

It is not the number of steps of trim that matters, it is how fine they are. I like to see about .05 degrees of elevator per step. I believe I can feel that change in neutral. Using the DS-16 resolution of 2.5 μsec step, I'd end up with .125 degrees per step.

And besides, I have to tell my Futaba buddies I have a better radio and they need one too.

Regards, Jim
There is a user who pops up in this thread occasionally (or the other Jeti one) who was involved with beta testing the DS and/or new software. Went by the user name 'test' I think. He is the current German F3A champion and might be worth PM'ing.
May 21, 2013, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwy View Post
USPS gets most events but descriptions are not very accurate. Switch to Auspost tracking once it crosses the border.

My DS-16 is waiting at the local post office. Pick up tomorrow morning
Thanks PWY. As far as I knew it was bobbing up and down in the middle of the ocean somewhere. 4 days with out any whereabouts.
Found Auspost tracking on the net and it has come in for dispatch in Melbourne. Should arrive just in time for me to programme it 1 day out prior to LSF Jerilderie.
May 21, 2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
OT, but it does make me wonder how we did it back in the 70's/80's with analog radios flying pattern...

BTW, what is the estimated play in the gear train relative to 0.05 degrees?
I'm not quite sure how I could even measure that.
The "analog" servos of the 70s used the same concept as the so called "digital" servos of today and we worked very hard to get the deadband down to about 2 μsecs. The nature of the narrow bandwidth RF link used in those days, created pulse jitter especially at low signal levels. This jitter, plus air buffeting, caused the flying surfaces to dither about the 1.5 msec neutral point thus negating the slop in the gear train and linkages. Here is how I learned that:
In the 70s Proline developed the first dual rate circuitry for the PPM systems. It had two pots, one to adjust the desired low rate and the other to eliminate any shift in neutral when you switched from one rate to the other. I was setting mine by adjusting the pot while switching back and forth, until the servo didn't move. When I got in the air, the plane would change trim every time I threw the switch. I then adjusted the pot using an oscilloscope where I could detect pulse width changes less than 1 μsec and the problem was solved. No more changes in trim when throwing the rate switch. A little slop is probably a good thing.

Jim O
Last edited by JOddino; May 21, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
May 21, 2013, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino View Post
In the 70s Proline developed the first dual rate circuitry for the PPM systems. It had two pots, one to adjust the desired low rate and the other to eliminate any shift in neutral when you switched from one rate to the other. I was setting mine by adjusting the pot while switching back and forth, until the servo didn't move. When I got in the air, the plane would change trim every time I threw the switch. I then adjusted the pot using an oscilloscope where I could detect pulse width changes less than 1 μsec and the problem was solved. No more changes in trim when throwing the rate switch. A little slop is probably a good thing.

Jim O
I can't believe it!!!

Do you actually even remember ProLine equipment????

I even owned ProLine stuff myself (along with Kraft, World Engines, etc.)

But that was way back in the day...............
May 21, 2013, 02:39 AM
I learnt to fly with Kraft radios then went onto Skyleader. Many moons ago
May 21, 2013, 02:42 AM
WOW,

You also go way back, don't you???????
May 21, 2013, 05:08 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3B Fly Faster View Post
I learnt to fly with Kraft radios then went onto Skyleader. Many moons ago
Kraft, Orbit, Ace,Heathkit, some new company called Futaba...

I still have all of them in my basement, single and dual stick.
The most interesting is the Orbit Hawk, the world's smallest 5 channel RC transmitter.
May 21, 2013, 05:12 AM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus4 View Post
Attachment 5796513

So I came home from an awesome day of flying today with my DS-16. I plugged it in to charge it and the screen turns on asking if I want to turn on the transmitter. Before I hit the no button, I noticed the screen seemed kind of dim. So I started watching it, and right before my very eyes, the screen flickered a little, and then the backlight went dead. I made sure that the brightness of the screen settings was turned all the way up. Seems like its completely dead. I put my Futaba with it's backlight next to it for comparison in the picture. Any ideas? What can I expect from Esprit Model when I call them tomorrow? I've had it for about 2 weeks now.
I don't know the exact LCD used in the DC/DS but it would be worthwhile to remove the rear cover and reseat the LCD connectors. They tend to sometimes misalign, especially FPC types.
If not, it might be the backlight assembly, which would be somewhat unusual, but early failures do unfortunately occur.
In any event, as suggested I would contact Esprit, their customer service has always been excellent.
May 21, 2013, 06:40 AM
Professional idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
There is a user who pops up in this thread occasionally (or the other Jeti one) who was involved with beta testing the DS and/or new software. Went by the user name 'test' I think. He is the current German F3A champion and might be worth PM'ing.
Might also be worth asking the question on the JetiForum as there a good few people in the know there.

Gernot Bruckmann flies the DC-16 and is a dab hand at F3A as well as dominating most other aerobatic disciplines. On his big Krill freestyle aircraft I would guess the high step sizes you talk about will be aggravated as you have large throws but still want delicate movements.

I'll take a look at mine this evening. My servos are 4096. When setting up my elevators I didn't notice anything. I only fly Masters class here and still have a lot to learn so it might be poor on mine.

Quick Reply