Jul 20, 2019, 09:11 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
... Looking at the OP plane website ...
Not implying the discussion is without merits, but OP is from mid 2012, and TS hasn't been online since september 2012.

Prettig weekend Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 21, 2019 at 05:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 11:46 PM
Quadaholic
Generally planes dont need new tech esc, thro finger is only so fast (~60ms max 0-100%), so most pilots can't tell the difference of a old school atmel mpu based esc and a modern esc. But if they try one, most will notice the smoother thro, quieter the motor is from the old 8KHz motor drive freq and stable lower rpm it can provide, even if they cant tell the difference, they are getting a better esc.

Quicker response, more efficient, less heat, more power, more features, lower motor noise (higher pwm drive freq above audible range), smoother, lower rpm capable, better brakes to name a few. I forgot, you can set the beep volume for startup tones and the beacon, for the beacon, you can set a timer 1 to 10 minutes of inactivity (no thro above 0%), the motor starts beeping, actually pretty loud, great for finding planes/quads and it does not get the motor hot if left on continuously (like old tech did), very very handy feature that is not found on the old stuff.

My HK EFXtra came with a 60A AeroStar esc (old school, $32), with in 2 weeks it smoked with stock motor and prop on 4s, replaced it with a rs80a v2 esc, 700 flights later in 6 months, zero problems, I did add a heatsink and its in the back of the plane with relatively low airflow.

Here is a picture comparison of the 60A vs the 80A (I added a HS). Here is one mounted in a ME-163.

The kicker is, the new tech esc generally cost less, so why pay more for less,,,,? Don't shoot the messenger for passing some info around. Fly on.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:09 AM
Stand by here come banana
Hughsey use different ESC in 2012 but in 2019 Hughsey use Castle, JEti, Tmotor and Hobbywing.

Hughsey say if never owned Castle but call them Cremation is silly willy banana !
Jul 21, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughsey
Hughsey use different ESC in 2012 but in 2019 Hughsey use Castle, JEti, Tmotor and Hobbywing.

Hughsey say if never owned Castle but call them Cremation is silly willy banana !
Castle got there Cremation reputation from their user base, you dont need to get burned (buy one and have it burn) to call them there reputation, not much silly about that, it's called reputation.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:15 AM
Quadaholic
In these charts, you and clearly see the power improvement from the old school atmel based esc.
Hover over the results to see the thrust difference (up to 18%, just from changing esc):
https://www.miniquadtestbench.com/co...op-5x4-gf.html
Jul 21, 2019, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Castle got there Cremation reputation from their user base, you dont need to get burned (buy one and have it burn) to call them there reputation, not much silly about that, it's called reputation.
Hughsey has 4 and never burned!

Hughsey friend race 1/8 scale and he burn Castle many years past!

Jul 21, 2019, 10:42 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Hughsey has 4 and never burned!

Hughsey friend race 1/8 scale and he burn Castle many years past!

There is so many factors, how hard you push them (motor/battery/prop(or gearing)/thro use/etc) and ambient temperature (most peeps forget this factor).

Three years ago I got some bum motors, slipping mangents (locking the rotor) and shorting stator wires and the rs30a v2 took it like a champ, zero failures. The rs30a v2 and the rs40a v2 and rs80a v2 all have over temperature protection, if they get hot, the esc starts to limit its output power, this saves the esc from failure (overheating and possible solder melting).

I remember when I started racing on-road (1980), this guy said he had a new rear suspension design that kicked azz (at the time it looked cool), knowing nothing (had not read my 30+ books on driving/car setup yet) I believed him, then a friend said, lets look at his qualifying results, he was more than a lap down in qualifying, in other words, disregard his lap slower rear suspension hype (careful where you get your info from). The point I am making is, some have great luck and it could be great equipment, or the other end, they not pushing the limits of the system (battery/motor/prop(gearing)/etc). When you compete at a minimum of the national or worlds levels, the cream comes to the top, been there done that (1986~2002).
Jul 21, 2019, 11:59 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
Not implying the discussion is without merits, but OP is from mid 2012, and TS hasn't been online since september 2012.

Prettig weekend Ron
I would tend to agree ..... OLDE thread resurrected to DIS the 7 year old technology that was probably best back then. It has been educational though.

OZ - maybe on a future project I will look into your recommendation, but not ready to test it at the 80amp level yet, I ordered a HW FlyFun V5 80Amp for the current ARF I am putting a power 32 into. And if it looks like it will fit under the hood of the V900, I will probably replace that one too. As for the Castles, I only have 2, the 90 in the 500 TRex is fine, I had to resolder the Rx wire on my TBird 54, glad I caught it when the P47 with OS motor was acting up getting ready for 2nd flight of the day. Maybe maintenance caused some of those guys to cremate their ESC's, I know crud and debris gets into my 4WD truck's ESC Fan.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:14 AM
Quadaholic
FYI, the hobbywing xrotor series are great new tech esc, they are top of the esc thrust charts, I have not tries them as the ones I use are $10 and are very reliable.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:19 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Quote:
FYI, the hobbywing xrotor series are great new tech esc, they are top of the esc thrust charts, I have not tries them as the ones I use are $10 and are very reliable.
I can understand the need to go light on the price, you need 4 in a quad, and weight is more a factor.
Jul 23, 2019, 12:37 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
I can understand the need to go light on the price, you need 4 in a quad, and weight is more a factor.
Yea, true, the most I would pay is $15 each for 30 or 40A esc, a good 4n1 35a is only $25 now, I just can't see paying $90+ for single (imo bad reputation/quality) esc, that is enormous in size, weight and price, especially when you can do it for about a quarter of the price, but thats just me. I come from the team budget camp.
Jul 27, 2019, 03:50 PM
Quote:
There is so many factors, how hard you push them (motor/battery/prop(or gearing)/thro use/etc) and ambient temperature (most peeps forget this factor).

Three years ago I got some bum motors, slipping mangents (locking the rotor) and shorting stator wires and the rs30a v2 took it like a champ, zero failures. The rs30a v2 and the rs40a v2 and rs80a v2 all have over temperature protection, if they get hot, the esc starts to limit its output power, this saves the esc from failure (overheating and possible solder melting).

I remember when I started racing on-road (1980), this guy said he had a new rear suspension design that kicked azz (at the time it looked cool), knowing nothing (had not read my 30+ books on driving/car setup yet) I believed him, then a friend said, lets look at his qualifying results, he was more than a lap down in qualifying, in other words, disregard his lap slower rear suspension hype (careful where you get your info from). The point I am making is, some have great luck and it could be great equipment, or the other end, they not pushing the limits of the system (battery/motor/prop(gearing)/etc). When you compete at a minimum of the national or worlds levels, the cream comes to the top, been there done that (1986~2002).
Hughsey say Castle never burn out suspension rear!
Jul 27, 2019, 11:39 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Quote:
Yea, true, the most I would pay is $15 each for 30 or 40A esc, a good 4n1 35a is only $25 now, I just can't see paying $90+ for single (imo bad reputation/quality) esc, that is enormous in size, weight and price, especially when you can do it for about a quarter of the price, but thats just me. I come from the team budget camp.
If you want, you can buy $30 esc (x4) and $30 motors (x4), F7 FC, etc, or be team budget like me and save some serious cash (much less than half price), with smart decisions, you can get the same or better preformance (and save a heap of cash) with wise decisions.

EDIT:
Quote:
Hughsey say Castle never burn out suspension rear!
What?
Last edited by --Oz--; Jul 29, 2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply