Jul 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
OH I see now, the top secret squirrel pics that give the true duct make up!!!! w
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
GLUE,,,i think I have tried about every kind of glue there is out there! And guess what my #1 goto glue is? Good old' 5min epoxy. For quick assembly andw sandability I do like the Elmer's rubber cement, but, it doesn't have the holding power of epoxy.. Depending on what I'm doing, I use 5 min, Elmer's rubber cement, white gorilla, brown gorilla, hot melt, and 3M 77 ... Ohyes, I forgot the 15, and 30 minute, but very rarely.. This game requires a whole arsenal of glues I think.... Happy gluin' w
Jul 24, 2012, 04:46 AM
Thread OP
alrighty then, this train is nearing the station rapidly
this morning I cut the nose parts and laminated them together to make the block, I cut the battery access hole into the center slabs ( I used 1/2" thick blue core I had laying around lookin to become something ), got home from work and stuck it on and started sanding....MMMmmmmm this is starting to look like it should
here are the progress pics for the night. none of the main componants are glued together yet, I just stacked them together, they fit so nice they dont even need tape to hold em together

Joe
Jul 24, 2012, 04:50 AM
BlackLivesMatter.
Wow ! Just......... wow !
Jul 24, 2012, 05:57 AM
Man, looking really sweet now Joe!!! That made a world of difference when you got that nose on there! Gotta ask, are you going to do an exhaust duct on this one? I don't know if you are planning on it or have the room but it will help your performance a bunch... w.
Jul 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mike
In one word "AWESOME" !
Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe
woooops,
failed to add the pics showing the temp formers and rear ducting placement on the above "intake building" post..
so here ya go.
Now I understand...holding out on us Joe. I must know your secret techniques! Honestly, this A6 is looking great. Also, I agree with Walt, definitely add a thrust tube if you can.

Vic
Jul 24, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
whats a thrust tube?....

here is one theory I have been testing for the last 4 or five jets I designed, at work I use alot of air blowers for getting chips/slag/dirt/ ect..off the work area. the blowers have vents allowing outside air to enter the pressurized air collum forming a venturi,
so if you plug the side vent holes off the air volume drops quite a bit, open them up and air volume increases, the apparent principal is that the moving pressurized collum of air sucks more air along with it as it exits the nozzle... none of my jets have thrust tubes on them and they will all easily do tail stands, I try to position the fan withing a few inches of the outlet and allow air to flow around the fan an mounts that seems to work so far like the venturi nozzles at work.

but thats just a theory...could just be my jets have way more thrust than weight

seriously I dont know...its a quandary...thrust tube, no thrust tube

probably wont have one on this one either

heheheee

Joe
Jul 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe
@Lt599,
I try to use as little epoxy as possible on a joint, wipe any off that squishes out, and when sanding a joint round I start right on the epoxy line and carefully work out from there, sometimes you will have a raised line, but if the epoxy got squeezed really thin it sands off nice.
cant say if I have tried Ultimate RC Foam Glue, does it dry quickly? I tried some stuff from the craft store that was supposed to be specially made for gluing foam...glued up a test piece and waited, and waited,...set it aside overnight...let it set all day...the next morning it looked dry...did the pull test...came right apart and the inside of the glue joint was still "wet", after sniffing it I came to the conclusion that it was basically Elmers white glue
my whole thing on glue is:
#1 availability, if its hard to get I wont use it.
#2 ease of use.
#3 cure time, if it needs to set for hours I definitely wont use it. not that I am impatient, I just dont have the room available to let projects sit for long

so if its all 3 of these I'll try it..

@sashaNar,
sinse this is NOT a scale build it will not have scale exhaust.

@Vic,
Nnnnnnno...

@Walt,
I was wondering how I was gonna do them too..

thanks all!
Joe
Joe, the Ultimate RC Foam Glue has a quick dry time. What you do is apply a very thin layer to one of the pieces you are joining, push that piece into place, spreading the glue to the other surface, pull apart, you can do this once or twice then push and hold in place. The glue at that point will hold well enough that the parts usually do not have to be clamped. Totally dry in about 1 hour. Do a search on line for it, there is a video of its use. I happened to find some in stock at the HS in Olympia, so I picked it up to try. It works well. The only foam that I have had trouble using it on is the Dow blue XPS, you have to use a very thin layer or it will "melt" the foam. It does work good on DS, Depron and FFF. Thanks for the info on sanding. I use alot of epoxy, I just have some trouble getting a smooth joint when sanding. Lt

I tried the same Foam Glue "Elmers" in a different bottle! LOL.
Jul 24, 2012, 06:09 PM
Thrust tubes and theory... Joe, you have great flying planes for a number of reasons, probably the main one is that you are a very good builder and you are rebuilding them light so your thrust ends up probably at least 1 to 1. Now, if you would take that same plane power setup and add a thrust tube(exhaust tube?) using the 85%FSA calculation you should see your speed increase, it should be a significant jump but only trial would show that. Now, if you are totally happy with how your planes fly, then great,,, keep this on the back burner for a future test. w
Jul 25, 2012, 03:40 AM
Thread OP
Walt,
yeah I am very happy with the speed I get out of my jets, they already cover the span of 3 soccer fields in seconds at 3/4 throttle, the Phantom at WOT is crazy fast, If I had a little bit more open space to fly I might try bumpin the speed factor up, but right now they are plenty licketty splitty nuff for the schoolyard

Joe
Jul 25, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
here are the pics of the last two parts to make for this build, the turtle deck and canopy. both sliced out of some slabbed out blue core I had, and then laminated together. tomorrow morning I with sand them both out to shape and fit them in place.

did a wing cutting demo vid and posted it on Walts build and will post it here too, the pics show the two part templates I use that have 1/16th" copper wire epoxied to them to smooth out the cut

enjoy

Joe

wing cutting demo (3 min 24 sec)
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jul 25, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Jul 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joe,

What kind of wood/material did you use for the template?

Eric B.
Jul 25, 2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks for posting the video. I really like how both the top and bottom templates sit down square and flush to the work surface. A little more work building the templates but well worth it. I will certainly give this a try. I can see where it will work much easier and more accurately then my single male templates and trying to do the cutting by myself. Thanks, Greg
Jul 25, 2012, 07:35 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Joe,
The work is stunning..man all I can say is wow..the detail is just all one could ask for..really like the vertical/detail!!You really captured this one for sure!
Really enjoying all your builds..
Take care and please keep the pics rolling...........Chris

Quick Reply