StevensAero - 1926 Farman Carte Postale - RC Groups
Jul 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
Build Log

StevensAero - 1926 Farman Carte Postale

Having successfully completed the Hergt ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1683705 ) I’ve just started to build the Farman. I thought I would take more pictures of this build as it happens rather than just of the finished plane.

I’m really excited to be building this model and hope to extend my building skills – no one else has one in the club so it should be a bit different. I also haven’t seen many build logs of this plane so thought I would share my recent progress.

Should be able to update with more progress in a couple of days.
Last edited by nicherotors; Apr 30, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
Have made a bit of progress with a few more hours.

When I ordered the kit from Steven Aero I was pleasantly surprised to see a free sanding block had been included. In life I normally chuck free gifts in the bin because they aren’t much good but on this occasion I found it really helpful at sanding the nose to shape.

I would say it took less than 20 minutes to get the shape right.

Not confident with my ironing skills around the compound curves of the cowl I decided to seal with a couple of coats of thin CA. A bit of patience sanding smooth and then a light dusting of some Tamiya rattle can paint has given me the look I wanted - austere and not too bright.

As with the Hergt I decided to cut 4 round discs out of very thin plasticard for the wheel covers - not sure if this saves weight compared with the balsa included in the kit but I wasn't confident of getting a consistent dome shape with the balsa.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this model - lovely materials and superb fit of all the parts.
Jul 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Gary
I am very impressed with your fit and finish. Great work! I will watch your progress - thanks for sharing.
Jul 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Looking good!
Jul 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Looks great. The paint job is superb! You ought to try Nitrate Dope as a sealer instead of CA. It sands a lot easier. Water based polyurethane might work too and doesn't smell. I can't say how it sands though.
Jul 21, 2012, 04:52 PM

My Farman

Hi Nicherotors,
You will like this Airplane, looks a lot like yours I did a more scale motor today
which will help get the CG better! These little Airplanes are really fun to build
Your finish is really nice! Great job!
Joe
Jul 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Looks great. The paint job is superb! You ought to try Nitrate Dope as a sealer instead of CA. It sands a lot easier. Water based polyurethane might work too and doesn't smell. I can't say how it sands though.
WB Polyurethane sands very well and is light after curing, as a bonus it also doesnt react badly to Acrylic paint. Once cured it even resist glow fuel well, a perfect product easily found, cheap and odor-less. It spray well too if diluted a bit with water and cleaning just takes water
Jul 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
@Tim - thanks for the suggestion about nitrate dope – will try that on my next plane – hopefully the Air Camper. I picked up some from my local hobby store yesterday.

@Joe, love the look of your Farman – where did you get 1) the wheels and 2) the Farman decal for the tail ??

I have spent a few more enjoyable hours on my Farman today. It’s really coming alive now with the decals.

I found that when I took the wrinkles out of the wing covering with a heat gun I got some dihedral in the wing – the frame was perfectly flat to start with – but the pictures of the plane in the instructions has the same so I’m not too worried . I learnt that I need to hold the wing flat during the cooling of the film to make sure that there is no warping. I seem quite happy with everything so far. I painted the wing tips silver so that I didn’t have to do any more than the minimum ironing.

In these few pictures I show how I positioned the registration decals on the wing so that they were in the centre. I used the same technique with the white decals too so they are symmetrically placed on the fuselage.
Last edited by nicherotors; Nov 12, 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Jul 23, 2012, 02:30 AM
@Joe, just seen your comment in your thread about your wheels now being out of production. Still keen to know where you got the decal from ?

I can't even find a clear image to allow me to print my own decal!
Jul 23, 2012, 02:35 AM
Hi nicherotors,
I drew up the design, and had Callie Graphics make it for me. She can make up any graphics you want, any size and color!!
Joe
Aug 01, 2012, 04:54 PM
Just a quick update - am now ready for a test flight.

I really like the look of this plane - in fact when I started to take a couple of pictures I found it difficult to stop - here are just a few.

We have our club night this Friday evening so I will report back on how the test flight goes.
Nov 04, 2017, 06:57 AM
It was entirely my own fault!

The test flights didn't go well - and it has taken a long time to confess.

The model left the building board tail heavy and by the time it was balanced it became very overweight. With a couple of coins concealed up against the firewall it had a flying weight of 69.7g! Suffice to say it wasn't a viable flying model - but before being consigned to the attic it has served as a lovely static model.

Undeterred, I carried on going through the StevensAero indoor catalogue with great success - just being a lot more careful about the amount of paint and glue used.

The previous project was the Ricci Triplane, a 1919 racing plane and can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Ricci-Triplane

I thought I'd return to this beautiful Farman and open up a fresh kit and start again.

As a reminder, here is what is inside the packet.
Last edited by nicherotors; Nov 05, 2017 at 02:16 PM.
Nov 04, 2017, 12:15 PM
Trampling out the vintage
We've all learned how to do things better on the next model, glad to see you are giving it another go. The really good builders I've talked to tell me they weigh their balsa before construction, and the very lightest material is reserved for the tail and rear areas of the model.

I built a larger one of these years ago that was featured in Flying Scale Models magazine, it was a Peter Rake design. As part of that effort I wrote to the Smithsonian Institute and asked them if they had any photos of the original. They sent the photo below. I don't know if they all looked like this, but the similarities between this and yours are evident. Good luck on your build.
Nov 06, 2017, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale

I built a larger one of these years ago that was featured in Flying Scale Models magazine, it was a Peter Rake design. As part of that effort I wrote to the Smithsonian Institute and asked them if they had any photos of the original. They sent the photo below.
Gosh - you did well to get a response from the Smithsonian Institue - thanks for sharing.

Half the fun with modelling obscure vintage aircraft is the research. Not entirely happy about the limited information available on the internet I tracked down a brilliant French book on Farman aircraft.

To my delight I discovered another picture inside of the Carte Postale.

The Carte Postale was a one-off aircraft that Farman built for the 1926 Zenith Cup which was a 480 mile (770 km) course from Paris to Lyon and back to Paris. The fuselage was from a FF 65 Sport model (designed as a biplane) mated to a single wing panel from one of their much larger F.60 Goliath (also a biplane) - hence the disproportionate chord of the wing and the 'post card' name.

Worth noting that during the race the Carte Postale flew at an average speed of only 72 mph (116 kph); apparently the crew appreciated the protection offered by its large wing against the rain! I believe the Carte Postal came second - another Farman came first.
Nov 06, 2017, 04:54 PM
flying beam
I should have bought the two kits I wanted some time ago... now at 62£ + shipping at Micron

I always enjoy following one of your builds, they are marvelous