Oct 10, 2012, 07:56 AM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
You mean all the panels behind the leading edge in white?

The fuse is going to be all white.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
Which one is aileron again?
Yeah.. only colors on the leading edge of the wings and maybe a racing stripe on the fuse?
Oct 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
Glassing the center of the wing.

Cut your fiberglass cloth so the fibers are at a 45 degree to any long edges. This prevents fraying along the edges.

Use thin CA to tack down one end, then pull it tight enough to get the wrinkles out and produce a smooth surface.

Use an old credit card or room key to squeege 30 minute epoxy on as sparingly as you can but still filling the weave.

Tack down the other end with CA.

Hit it with a heat gun to make the epoxy thin out and make a glassy surface.
Oct 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
Let epoxy set, then trim the edges.
Oct 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
I wanted lasers on the wing tips, pointing forward. I have not found any laser diodes that really make a nice visible beam. This one puts out a nice beam but unless there are some particles in the air, it does not show up. That may not be a problem since at Summersville it's usually foggy at night or at least the smoke from fireworks floating in the air.

Can anyone suggest a good visible green laser diode?
Oct 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Green would be the best color for visibility... unfortunately I don't know where to buy one. I would also look for something around 15mW if you can find it.

It looks like you finally got the red laser diode working. What prevented it from working before?
Oct 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
This is a different one. It has a lens on the front to focus the beam. I never got the other diodes to work.
Oct 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ahh.. A cluster of red ones on one wing tip and green on the other would be pretty cool...
Oct 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hrmm...

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9906
Oct 12, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
I looked at that laser and it had all kinds of warnings and cautions, sounds dangerous.......

So I ordered 2 of them.
Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer
I looked at that laser and it had all kinds of warnings and cautions, sounds dangerous.......

So I ordered 2 of them.
Like!!
Oct 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
I decided to go with my original color scheme. It will have colored panels behind the leading edge. I hope to get one side wired up temporary and see what it looks like with white covering. May have to use some transparent red and green on the leading edge panels.
Oct 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
Added this small piece of CF rod to support the LED strips. It might even add some strength. The strip is glued to the CF rod on one end and I cut a slit in the trailing edge and glued the other end into it. The leading edge panels are on circuit by their self, and I plan to leave them on all the time. The bays are wired to the RGB controller. I am going to add a socket to the wing tip for the lasers to plug into and be removable instead of built into the wing.
Oct 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
Wing
Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Dark Yet??
Thread OP
This is with a piece of white Oracover laid over top of the wing. Keep in mind the backing is still on the covering. Should be even brighter with the backing off.

I don't think it needs any transparent covering. The colors shine thru the white just fine.
Last edited by Barn-E-Stormer; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: details

Quick Reply