Nov 14, 2003, 11:08 PM
Thread OP

New Piper Super Cub

I got the Super Cub up and ready for paint..So I took a couple of photos of it while it waits for the final finish..

It is totally scratch built from my own drawings.....

It has a 32 inch span, and weighs 5.15 ounces ready for paint and radio..I am sure I can save about 1/2 an ounce if I can find some lighter wheels... The tail wheel is a piece of 1/2 inch dowel with a brass tubing bushing so the weight there is almost nothing..

The fuselage is 2 inch pink foam with the center cut out on a band saw, and the fuselage sides are 3 mm Depron..Very light and very strong.. The only wood in the plane is the struts and the nose cowl and the 1/32 inch firewall.. The side cowls are 0.020 inch styrene.. The landing gear is 1/16 wire..

Hope you enjoy the photos...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2003, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
and one from the rear...
Nov 14, 2003, 11:12 PM
Thread OP
I looked at the photos after I posted them and realized of course that the tail feathers and the leading and training edges of the wing are balsa...I thought the lumber bill was higher than just the struts and firewall...LOL

Quick Reply