Jul 12, 2012, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

My .60 J-3 Piper Cub ARF Build

So first of all this plane is from Nitroplanes.com The instructions didnt even match with the parts the product came with, so i had to do a little bit of rigging, i.e. the rear landing assembly and had to use my head.

Sorry guys im starting my build log a few days early.

7/9/12 - At this point i had attached ailerons, and stabs:

Name: 2012-07-09_08-02-23_158.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 135.3 KB
Description: Glued ailerons, and both stabs, attached wings. ARF

7/10/12 - I attached landing gear assembly and completely rigged the rear assembly all part in due to faulty instructions or parts and made it work nice:

Name: 2012-07-10_00-45-53_127.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 134.8 KB
Description: Added Landing gear front and back

7/10/12 - The same day i cut out plastic window, along the faint lines, and it turned out pretty well, and fit nice, right over the front, bolted the bottom of the windshield and it is rock solid sturdy on there. Furthermore i gorilla glued the inside frame areas that look like it would take a bit more of impact especially around landing bolts. While also displaying my cheap ASPS61A that i will be mounting:

Name: 2012-07-10_03-21-54_782.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 155.4 KB
Description: the motor i will mount, ASPS61A

This is how the engine will mount:

Name: 2012-07-10_03-41-26_318(1).jpg
Views: 111
Size: 223.6 KB
Description:

7/12/12 - I cut out the kotte with a razor, cut out the plastic window molding, and individually installed each one, one by one with epoxy on the left side.

Name: 2012-07-12_05-55-24_603.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 132.4 KB
Description: Cut out slots through the kotte and added the windows

Tomorrow i will do the right side of the fuselage.

But i also gotta think about what servos i should be getting. Im thinking about HS-485HB for controll surfaces and an HS311 for the throttle. And if anyone has any objections on those servos let me know. I will be using a Spektrum A500 RX with a Spektrum 4.8V 1100mAh NiCd 4-Cell battery On a Spektrum DX5-E, TX.

Make sure you subscribe to the thread if you wana follow me, or rank it if you like it. But later on as i progress im goign to mount my s61a and run a few break-in cycles and hopefully learn a few things from you guys out there as well. Im checking out for now, keep you all posted on the progress!
Last edited by wakslob; Jul 12, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
team sleprock
ASP engines have a decent track record!

looks good so far, but you might want ta turn the landing gear around, the flat side should go towards the front !"wheels should be as far forward as possible!"
Jul 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Yo wow dude I didn't catch that. I would of nosed over first time flying it or some other catastrophy
Last edited by wakslob; Jul 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Jul 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
I'm not quite sure yet but I think I messed my build up. The instructions are so poorly written.
My question is how does both of the elevators on the aircraft work simultaneously? I am absolutely stumped, if you guys can help I would really appreciate it. Here are some pictures:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1342153391764.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 30.6 KB
Description:

If you look at this picture you can see on my super cub that I own, the elevators are attached together, and that only 2 rods are being used.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1342153541033.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 35.4 KB
Description:

I would really really appreciate anybody's input on this. because I'm getting pretty nervous. Thanks.
Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
You could run a Y type pushrod with one end to each elevator. Check to see if there is an exit on the other side of the fuse as well.. one side may have two exits.. one for the rudder and one for the elevator half...one side should have just one for the rudder. I have made them from dowel with two 4-40 rods since your using a .60. You can bend the end to a 90 degree the off set them into the dowel rod. I make a slight channel for the rod to rest in and wrap tight with CF or anything really and expoxy down.

Here's a pic I found but what I do is offset the bends in the wire to prevent a weak point. i assume the kit has parts for this. You could put a servo on each side but the dual rod is the way to go and reduces the programming complexity.
Last edited by Thermalin; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Jul 13, 2012, 12:39 AM
Thread OP
What about having 2 arms on 1 servo. I haven't ordered my servos yet. Ill just use some spare a piano wire I had laying around.
Jul 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hi wakslob
I have had 4 J3Cubs, size 40 to 60. All of them use a steel rod made from piano wire, about .09" diameter, bent in the shape of a staple, with the ends sharpened. The long dimension is probably about 4", and the two sides are about 2". The elevator horn is positioned over one end. The "'staple" locks the two halves together.
Jul 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Wakslob, if you run a 4.8V battery with a Spektrum AR500 receiver, you are asking for trouble. I know they say that receiver will operate down to 3.5V or whatever it is, but you absolutely need a 5 cell 6.0V battery for that receiver. Horizon was still shipping 4.8V batteries with radio combos LONG after they acknowledged this problem, they may still be I don't know. But you'll definitely want to go with a 6V battery to prevent brown-outs. Good luck with your build!

Pat
Jul 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
On the battery.. I have switched to 3 cell lipos (in case one cell fails on me) with regulator set at 5v as my current stable of servos dont handle 6v. Havent had an issue yet. Never going back to nicd or nimh.... no more overnight charging,, cheaper and more reliabitity in my opinion as well

On the two arms with one servo.. i suppose if they are both stacked on the same side that would work but I haven't seen that arrangement offered on normal standard sized servos. Those on the large 40% and up planes I have seen the double arms. But I beleive that is for strength and not meant to drive dual surfaces. You would hen have two complete length pushrods which would work but I prefer the single going back with a split allowing you to use what you have.
Jul 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Good point Thermalin...... I myself haven't changed to a Lipo in my radio or for a receiver simply because I'm too forgetful and know I might forget to turn it off.
Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
team sleprock
first question is did you glue the hinges on the elevator already, if not then get a piece of piano wire as noted earlier and make a joiner, are find the one that came with the kit!

are as thermolin said make a Y rod out of a dowl and 4-40 rod!

Quick Reply