This thread is privately moderated by HappySundays, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Cool

Porting OpenAero to the AfroFlight32 board

OpenAero2 thread
Last edited by HappySundays; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2012, 03:12 AM
Master of Flash
Definitly on my subscription list.

The vbat pin is for 3S only?
Jul 16, 2012, 04:57 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero
Definitly on my subscription list.
The vbat pin is for 3S only?
Oh no, the way it will work is that you tell it what type of bettery you have, and the number of cells and that will drive the capacity meter display.
You can still set the LVA to whatever you like, but the remaining capacity is calculated as per best-practice voltage levels per cell. Pretty much like any good cell meter does.
The hardware should be able to measure anything up to about 50V so that's more cells than just about anyone would want

I did the code today that "fills up" the battery graphic.
The battery will show "full" at the nominal LiPo/NiMh cell voltage x number of cells.
The battery will show "empty" at the level everyone agrees is the lowest safe cell voltage x cells.
Jul 18, 2012, 03:36 AM
Very cool, great work.

Is the back-light of the LCD software controllable? i.e. could it be set to time-out after a period of inactivity?
Jul 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
skumgummi dave
Watching with great excitement!

Dave-
Jul 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
cool project
Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
Hi Happy;
Following up the former discussion here is the three configs I was hoping for that generally you already did for the KK board.

KK2:

There are three areas that a KK2 could stabilize aero flight controls
  1. Taileron
  2. Thrust Vectoring
  3. Aileron/Flapperons

1) Tailerons - Flying Wing/Delta/Elevon w/ Rudder for dynamic pitch and roll mixing.
In put from TX would be Elevator and a Aileron channel...Aileron channel would likely be Ail>Aux4 to Ail input on KK2. This would actuate a left and right Tailerons or Elevon servo.
Rudder Stability would be a straight feed of Rudder TX out Rudder KK2 in.

2) Thrust Vectoring TV Stability control - BiCopter for Pitch, Roll and differential thrust control.
Thrust Vectoring on a jet is usually a on/off option requiring 2 or 3 separate channels; Rudder Yaw being the 3rd.
Rudder values would be a straight Rudder or Rud>Aux5 into KK2 Rudder to the TV Yaw servo.
Differential Yaw would be two motor outputs to the ESCs mixed with the same TX rudder input.
Pitch and roll of the nozzle servos would follow the standard Bicopter or flying wing with Elv>Aux2, Ail>Aux3.

3) Ail/Flp - Aero for wing ail roll stability and self actuating LE and TE flaps the KK2 would need Roll ail input and flap input usually Ail and Aux1 for left and right flapperon.
The desired output would be with any pitch up moment the KK2 gyros could automatically actuate LE and TE Flaps while and compensate for any roll for the ail/flp to counter. TX Roll, Flap and Elv to Flap settings would be TX outputs straight through to the control surface.

I assume they are all doable since it looks to have already been accomplished on the initial KK board.
Jul 25, 2012, 07:29 AM
How I can read the original code? or is there a download for the security?
thank you
Jul 25, 2012, 08:24 AM
Master of Flash
No the original kk2 firmware is protected against read-out. You have to wait for the first update off kk2 firmware to rollback to kk2.

Best Christian
Jul 28, 2012, 03:39 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Hi,

Apologies - I have been away from my computer for a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle
1) Tailerons - Flying Wing/Delta/Elevon w/ Rudder for dynamic pitch and roll mixing.
In put from TX would be Elevator and a Aileron channel...Aileron channel would likely be Ail>Aux4 to Ail input on KK2. This would actuate a left and right Tailerons or Elevon servo.
Rudder Stability would be a straight feed of Rudder TX out Rudder KK2 in.
Well the mixing is normally done in the TX, but there will be a manual mixer mode that can be set up to do what you want.
I assume you also want the taileron stabilised?

Quote:
2) Thrust Vectoring TV Stability control - BiCopter for Pitch, Roll and differential thrust control.
Thrust Vectoring on a jet is usually a on/off option requiring 2 or 3 separate channels; Rudder Yaw being the 3rd.
Rudder values would be a straight Rudder or Rud>Aux5 into KK2 Rudder to the TV Yaw servo.
Differential Yaw would be two motor outputs to the ESCs mixed with the same TX rudder input.
Pitch and roll of the nozzle servos would follow the standard Bicopter or flying wing with Elv>Aux2, Ail>Aux3.
Same answer as above but this time I'm fairly sure you won't want to stabilise the thrust vectoring?

Quote:
3) Ail/Flp - Aero for wing ail roll stability and self actuating LE and TE flaps the KK2 would need Roll ail input and flap input usually Ail and Aux1 for left and right flapperon.
The desired output would be with any pitch up moment the KK2 gyros could automatically actuate LE and TE Flaps while and compensate for any roll for the ail/flp to counter. TX Roll, Flap and Elv to Flap settings would be TX outputs straight through to the control surface.

I assume they are all doable since it looks to have already been accomplished on the initial KK board.
Separate aileron control and stability is already in OpenAero, but what you are talking about is more TX mixing of elevator to flap etc. Not sure about your TX, but my JR X-3810 does all that for me. Again, manual mixing should be able to do that.
Jul 28, 2012, 03:40 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceccleston
Very cool, great work.
Is the back-light of the LCD software controllable? i.e. could it be set to time-out after a period of inactivity?
Actually no. The backlight is hard-wired into the power circuitry.
Jul 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays
I assume you also want the taileron stabilised?....
The first interest for the KK is stabilization. Since there are mixing features that can be applied to the board, rather than using an external mixer, if the board is already capable of the same may as well process it through the board.

The need for mixing stems from the limit of mixes from the TX. If I want tailerons and want thrust vectoring, I need 8 mixes. Most radios prior to 2012 have 6 or less. Thus external mixing. JR/Spek has the tendency to give certain pre programmed mixes but not in combinations as one would wish so you can have only this or that, not this and that. Thus if I use delta mixing I can't have flapperons etc.

So that the reason for the combination use via the KK board.

E.g. The SU-35 which I'd like to apply this to had both thrust vectoring that would need high gain on TV when slow/stalled, where as taileron would be lower gain as you mover through a range of dynamics velocities.
Thus the need for different boards calibrated separately to on/off in flight.

As for TX mixes such as pitch input engaging the flap mix, this is on the TX as a standard mix. Thinking on it further the TX mixing shouldn't get cancelled by manual mixing on the KK board, it should rather still work regardless.
Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
...muy bien...
Does OpenAero2 support to fly the KK2 board with just a Spektrum satellite receiver (w/o a full receiver) ?
MultiWii FW does support it, making up for a real lightweight setup.
Aug 19, 2012, 05:07 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris
Does OpenAero2 support to fly the KK2 board with just a Spektrum satellite receiver (w/o a full receiver) ?
MultiWii FW does support it, making up for a real lightweight setup.
Not at this point. I might look into it as a future option.
Aug 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
...muy bien...
Thatcher would be something
The firmware is a full replacement for the kk2 Board stock, fully featured and multirotor ready?

Quick Reply