Another Wasp--Ready to sting! - RC Groups
Nov 14, 2003, 10:29 AM
Cool

Another Wasp--Ready to sting!

Well, after some initial foibles with my first solite attempt, I finished fabbing linkages & final assembly last night on my wasp. Now all she needs is a CG check and the Rx & ESC taped to the appropriate location. IPS-A up front; I will initially try it with 8x6 on 3s etec 700, or 9x7 on 2s etec 1200. So whadd'yall think?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2003, 10:31 AM
'nudder pic
Nov 14, 2003, 10:32 AM
one more:
Nov 14, 2003, 10:33 AM
Apologies for picture quality--my digicam is old and really does not like indoor lighting at all.
Nov 14, 2003, 10:53 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Nice work Matt! The 3 cell/ 8x6 setup might be just the ticket. Not sure about motor life, but it's worth a try. I flew my beta Wasp on a DX-A/9x7/2 cells and it didn't like it too much. The Wasp likes more prop speed. It flies extremely well on a geared 010 with 8x6 too!
Nov 14, 2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks! Tres, I thought I remembered you saying that that the 9x7 2s setup was marginal, so that's why I thought I'd run the 3s setup through motocalc. It seems a little optimistic, but we'll see. I just happened to have this particular IPS left over from a TM that went straight to EPS100 power, so if it doesn't work out, I'll simply buy a dual IPS in the appropriate gearing.
Nov 14, 2003, 12:00 PM
Smooth Air
Great job Matt!

Geof.
www.smoothair.rchomepage.com
Nov 14, 2003, 01:03 PM
Crash Master
I think you may like that combination. If the motor is a little hot, drop down to a 7x6 prop, and you should be fine. An 8x4.3 may be worth trying too.

Looks good, Good Luck.
Nov 17, 2003, 09:57 AM

Post Maiden Follow-up

5 Lessons learned:

1. IPS-A w/ 8x6 and 3s etec rocks this plane
2. This thing goes like stink at full tilt
3. Don't stand under trees while flying
4. Quit while you're ahead
5. The wasp repairs easily

I maidened the wasp at the club field on sunday morning. I had a heckuva time gaining any altitude and basically spent 4/5 minutes on two flights trying to maintain 5' up, then gave up and landed. Wouldn't loop. After I went home, I had the bright idea of checking the voltage on the pack--oops. I forgot I charged the pack two weeks, ago, I could've sworn it was only a coupla days. Fresh pack in hand, I set out for the back hayfield. I stood at the uphill side of the field so I could glide down if the motor quit--Bad idea(don't stand under trees; more importantly, don't get used to flying over your head). Anyway, performance was smashing(unfortunately, so was my flying) with this setup. I made a few passes to get a feel for handling, climbed to about 60', then did a loop from level, followed by a roll. Then I thought to myself, 'man this rolls fast!, let's try that again'. Dumb. I rolled too far, too fast, and by the time I caught it, the right wingtip caught the furthest protruding branch on the maple I was standing under at the field edge. She landed in two pieces about 25' away. The good news: the motor was cool to the touch, so I think it will hold up in this application. The bad news: popped off the complete tailfeathers, breaking the elev. control horn of all things, sheared one of the root ribs and the top of the fuse between, broke the motor mount, and punched several holes in the bottom wing panel. I was positively livid for about 30 seconds, then I admitted to myself it was entirely my fault for flying an as-yet unfamiliar plane aggressively in far too little space. Live and learn (sometimes the hard way). Anyway, after an hours leisurely work last night glueing, bracing, and recovering, she's good as new I won't let her sting me again.