Aug 02, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Ah, thank you. cfircav8r acctually knows what he is talkinga bout!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
Definitely not a stall. I have seen that exact thing while instructing in full scale. you are coming in to land get hit with a small gust or just pitch up too fast and the plane balloons. The common, yet wrong, action is to release back pressure and the plane dives back down too quick to react to. The correct action is to maintain the stick position and even add a little throttle if it seems a little slow. This will slow the descent and allow you to stabilize the approach. The instant you relax that back pressure it will dive, when you maintain the pressure it will still start to drop the nose and start a rapid descent but it will be a more controlled descent and you will still have some airspeed to play with. If you are too near your stall speed you have to either go around or use throttle, not the elevator, to slow your descent.
Unless the reason you ballooned is that you gave it too much gas to cushion your decent, in which case giving it more will just make it climb more, and pushing down will just make you float on.... just freaking go around again.
Sep 15, 2012, 09:00 PM
SMASH AND DASH :)
Did you check to see if the wheel pants caught up the wheel? I know that has happened to some people that I know.
Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
You can fix that. I have repaired much worse.
The undercarriages are usually held on badly and pull back during a bad landing. This rips the woodwork out making the damage much worse.
2 months ago my friend broke what looks like exactly the same model.
The fuselage was much worse than that.
I repaired it all and inserted 2 10mm x 12mm fibreglass rails from the nose back and screwed the undercarriage to those. Now the load is taken over a wide area as the rails were 10 inches long.
He has really bounced it and even landed into a ploughed field, the u/c stayed on.
The cg was slightly rearward and moving it forwards by just a small amount made landings much easier.
Jim

Quick Reply