Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Yippee!

Resurrected: 1st plane. US Aircore Cub

Well I brought it back to life after 20 years. I had kept the old US Aircore cub around just to say I still had my first plane as a display model hanging in the garage. It has been in sheds, attics, even had a birds nest in the fuse at some point. I never got a successful flight on this bird as a kid and tried repeatedly for years always crashing within seconds of takeoff. I have since found great success with many scratch builds and everything from foamies to a 24 lb 84" electrified giant stinger.

This weekend I bought a coroplast garage sale sign and some contact cement and went to town on the old cub!!! Slammed a bp hobbies 3520 brushless on it with a 5 cell 4400 pack. What a brick. Stall speed was like 40 mph .... BUT IT FLEW!!!! FIRST SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT EVER ON THIS PLANE!!! What a feeling after 20 years to actually have it in the air. Logged 4 flights Sunday and despite weighing probably around 8 lbs and being twisted like a cork screw it flew very well. What a blast... I knew I kept it all these years for a good reason.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Awesome.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by rockyabq
Envies his own avatar
Great story!
Got any pictures?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
I will take some this weekend and post!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by earlwb
Great job. Do let us know how it goes.
I still have an unbuilt USAircore CoroStar .40 kit I have been meaning to use for ages now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by flymess
Corflute Codger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFastEnuf View Post
Well I brought it back to life after 20 years. I had kept the old US Aircore cub around just to say I still had my first plane as a display model hanging in the garage. It has been in sheds, attics, even had a birds nest in the fuse at some point. I never got a successful flight on this bird as a kid and tried repeatedly for years always crashing within seconds of takeoff. I have since found great success with many scratch builds and everything from foamies to a 24 lb 84" electrified giant stinger.

This weekend I bought a coroplast garage sale sign and some contact cement and went to town on the old cub!!! Slammed a bp hobbies 3520 brushless on it with a 5 cell 4400 pack. What a brick. Stall speed was like 40 mph .... BUT IT FLEW!!!! FIRST SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT EVER ON THIS PLANE!!! What a feeling after 20 years to actually have it in the air. Logged 4 flights Sunday and despite weighing probably around 8 lbs and being twisted like a cork screw it flew very well. What a blast... I knew I kept it all these years for a good reason.
Suggest a smaller battery. 5cell 4400mAh must weigh a lot. I fly with 3cell 1800s and they go like stink