Update on new Astro VE motor. I am not pleased. - RC Groups
Nov 13, 2003, 08:00 PM
Danger! Danger!
Rant

Update on new Astro VE motor. I am not pleased.

I decided to make a new thread to air my griefs about this new 803HV with the cooling fins.

Up until the 19th flight this motor and ESC combo flew great. I flew it on 8 cp2400 cells, a 15 tooth pinion, stock rotor blades and at 85% throttle. On the 19th flight I bumped up the throttle to 90%. The first few minutes were great. The heli was rock solid and had plenty of power. I could easily do 540 stall turns, and some ugly looking loops (Today was my first attempt at doing loops, I did 3 ). A few minutes through the pack and the power system started behaving strangely. I brought the heli in to hover closer and observe it. At about 10 feet of altitute while I was reeling her in, the motor shut down and I auto-ed it down safely. I looked the heli over and didn't see anything wrong with it. I temped the motor, esc and battery. They were 125, 90 and 120 degrees respectfully. I tried to throttle back up a little and it did nothing but chatter.

I unplugged the battery, packed up and headed home. When I got home I looked it over, pulled the motor and ESC out of the heli and tried to reprogram the ESC. It didn't work and still kept chattering when I tried to throttle it up. Now I'm just going to toss it back in the box and send it out to Astroflight. I've had this motor and ESC for only a week, after waiting 2 months for it.

*sighs* should've gone with a Hacker.

-Frank
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2003, 10:33 PM
Frank,

I was having so much fun. Flying today on my new Lipo pack, at about the 9 minute mark at 80 feet my new 803HV seized. I hadn't tried autos until now. Luckely I have only broken a blade grip and a link. I am also not impressed. I have only put about twelve flights on this motor. This item will be going back to Astro flight ASAP. I wonder can I get my money back and buy a Hacker!!!!
Nov 14, 2003, 10:41 PM
Closet Extrovert
The chattering sounds like one of the wires is loose in the back. Do the 803s have the stiff wires like the 801s?