Jul 09, 2012, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do you oil/lubricate your electric motors?

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I have used electric cleaner to clean out the "dirt" from my latest crash and am wondering about oiling the bearings. I haven't been able to find any "oil" on any of the websites for hobby shops. So, I was just wondering if you all oil your motors, or if I should just not worry about it. Thanks very much.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2012, 10:08 AM
I make metal smaller.
I just put either white lithium grease or silicone oil on the bushings or bearings. works fine for me, might just make them last a little longer.
Jul 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Not normally necessary but after a dusty or dirty crash etc. - a blow out of bearings with air and then a toothpick drop of sewing machine oil in the bearings will not go amiss.
Any reasonable oil such as 3in1 bicycle, sewing machine, light spec general handyman oil will do. But only a tiny touch .. no swamping it and having it spray the coils etc. - it can catch fire if not careful.

Nigel
Jul 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Thank you very much for the info. I have some 3 in 1 oil, but it seems a little thick. Maybe sewing machine oil would do the trick.

Our flying field is just dirt (not much grass here in New Mexico - LOL). That's why I'm asking. Any kind of nose over will generally let some dirt in.
Jul 09, 2012, 11:11 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
A good blow out with compressed air is a best thing to clear out dirt - BUT if there's oil - it can make the crap stick there and grate the bearings.

The amount of oil to use, if you do, is miniscule .... honest - a tiny touch only ...

Never ever use grease ! that is g'teed to ingrain grit and crud ...

Nigel
Jul 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Nigel - you make a very good point. I have an air compressor, but maybe all that would be needed is a can of compressed air like the ITs use here at work to clean computer parts. Thanks very much.\

Dave
Jul 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
The need to lubricate depends on the type of bearings used.

Most motors use sealed bearings which have grease sealed inside and are maintenance free, you don't need to lubricate these type of bearings. The downside is that the seals cause slight friction which absorbs a tiny bit of power.

The other type of bearings are shielded bearing. These just have a metal shield over the balls which keeps the muck out, but the lubricant can and does run out over time. these bearings need lubrication once in a while. they have less friction than the sealed type.

Scorpion are the only big manufacturer that I know of that use shielded bearings, therefore Scorpion do sell special lube: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...brication_Kit/
Jul 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
I've used ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for years on bearings for R/C. It's basically the same as Marvel Mystery Oil but alot cheaper. ATF or MMO has & is used in industry for years in air tools for bearing lubrication @ 30,000 rpm in all kind of nasty environmental settings.

Works for me,

eddy
Jul 09, 2012, 01:56 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
there is absolutly no point lubricating sealed bearings because the same seals that stop the grease getting out also prevent oil getting in. All lubricating does on sealed bearings is make a mess and attract dirt.

You can usually spot sealed bearings, the cover over the balls is coloured, most often it's black, like these:

On shielded bearings the cover is just silver metal, these can and should be lubricated:

Bearing types: http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...-Bearings.aspx
Jul 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
I believe all of my motors are shielded as opposed to sealed. I have to replace the shaft on one, so I can take a closer look at that time. Thanks for everyone's opinions and suggestions. (I may have some Marvel Mystery Oil from my car, hot rodding days).

Dave
Jul 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
I just use some liquid wrench PTFE based dry lubricant. It seems to hold up well enough. I also use it on skateboard bearings and my bike chain as well.

Quick Reply